Probability of Credit Cards P(A|B')

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the probability of having an amex given the condition of not having a mastercard. The formula P(A | M^{'}) = \frac{P(A \cap M^{'})}{P(M^{'})} is used, where P(A | M^{'}) represents the probability of having an amex given the condition of not having a mastercard, P(A \cap M^{'}) represents the probability of having both an amex and not having a mastercard, and P(M^{'}) represents the probability of not having a mastercard. The conversation also mentions using a Venn diagram to understand the problem and finding the probability of not having a mastercard and an amex.
jegues

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=51608&stc=1&d=1349558719.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]P(A | M^{'}) = \frac{P(A \cap M^{'})}{P(M^{'})}[/tex]

I know that,

[tex]P(M^{'}) = 1-0.48 = 0.52[/tex]

but I can't figure out how to obtain,

[tex]P(A \cap M^{'})[/tex]

Any ideas?

Attachments

• STATQ.JPG
    STATQ.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 629
Physics news on Phys.org
but I can't figure out how to obtain,

P(A∩M′)
Isn't it given to you? Probability has a mastercard and an amex?

Simon Bridge said:
Isn't it given to you? Probability has a mastercard and an amex?

No, it's probability of NOT having a mastercard and having an amex. I'd suggest to jegues to draw a Venn diagram and start labelling regions.

Oh I see what you mean - did you construct the ven diagram?

##A## = has an amex
##M## = has a mastercard
##A\cap M## has a mastercard and an amex.

But assign an arbitrary number of people ... say 100.

48 have a mastercard (52 don't)
20 have an american express
11 have a mastercard and an amex

Thus, 37 people with a mastercard do not have an amex.
So the probability that someone with a mastercard does not have an amex is 37/48.

That's probably the quickest way to understand the problem ... you can rework it all in terms of conditional probabilities later. (To complete this diagram: how many people have neither an amex nor a master-card?)

Dick said:
No, it's probability of NOT having a mastercard and having an amex. I'd suggest to jegues to draw a Venn diagram and start labelling regions.

See figure attached for my attempt at drawing a Venn diagram.

I'm having some trouble finding the probability of not having a mastercard or a visa or a amex.(i.e. being outside of all 3 circles)

My attempt at this would be,

[tex]0.7 + (0.48-0.29) + (0.2 - (0.11 + 0.14 - 0.06)) = 0.9[/tex]

but that answer doesn't make any sense.

Can someone explain how to do this? Do I need to do this to get closer to finding my answer?

EDIT: After thinking about it more,

[tex]P(A \cap M^{'}) = 0.2-0.11 = 0.09 \quad \quad P(M^{'}) = 0.52[/tex]

[tex]P(A|M^{'}) = \frac{0.09}{0.52} = 0.17307[/tex]

Attachments

• rsz_q-_0115_0001.jpg
    rsz_q-_0115_0001.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 503
Last edited:
You only need two circles like I said: see post #4.
I think that's as close as I can get to telling you how to do it without doing the problem for you.

If there are 100 people all together:
1. How many people, in total, have an amex? (given)
2. How many of the people who have an amex also have a mastercard? (given)
3. How many people who have an amex don't have a mastercard? (from 1 and 2)
4. What is the total number of people without a mastercard?
5. what is the probability that someone without a mastercard has an amex? (from 3 and 4)

That should help you understand what is behind the equations.

[edit] our posts seem to have crossed ... what's important is your method.
(I got 9/52 ≈ 0.17308 different rounding)

Last edited:

FAQ: Probability of Credit Cards P(A|B')

What is the meaning of "Probability of Credit Cards P(A|B')"?

The probability of credit cards P(A|B') refers to the likelihood of a person being approved for a credit card (event A) given that they do not have a good credit score or history (event B'). This can also be interpreted as the conditional probability of event A occurring, given that event B' has already occurred.

How is the probability of credit cards P(A|B') calculated?

The formula for calculating probability of credit cards P(A|B') is P(A|B') = P(A ∩ B') / P(B'). This means that the probability of event A and event B' occurring together is divided by the probability of event B' occurring. This can also be written as P(A|B') = P(A and not B') / P(not B').

What factors influence the probability of credit cards P(A|B')?

The probability of credit cards P(A|B') can be influenced by a variety of factors, including the individual's credit score, credit history, income, and debt-to-income ratio. Lenders also consider other factors such as employment status, credit utilization, and payment history when determining an individual's creditworthiness.

How does the probability of credit cards P(A|B') impact credit card approvals?

The higher the probability of credit cards P(A|B'), the lower the chances of being approved for a credit card. This is because a lower probability indicates a higher risk for the lender, as the individual's creditworthiness is not as strong. Lenders may also offer higher interest rates or lower credit limits to individuals with a lower probability of credit cards P(A|B').

Is the probability of credit cards P(A|B') the only factor considered in credit card approvals?

No, the probability of credit cards P(A|B') is not the only factor considered in credit card approvals. Lenders also take into account other factors such as the individual's income, credit utilization, and payment history. Additionally, each lender may have their own criteria and weightage for these factors, so the probability of credit cards P(A|B') may vary between different lenders.

Back