Probability of current flowing through circuits

In summary, Jameson suggests two solutions to the problem, but they are not equivalent. Solution I is fine, but it does not work like that because the probabilities are not independent. Solution II is fine.
Jameson
Gold Member
MHB
28itc04.png

I have two solutions to the this problem that I've found but they seem strange compared to each other.

Solution I
All possible paths that work must pass through circuit 5, so we can factor out that probability and tack it onto the end because they are all independent.

\(\displaystyle P(A \rightarrow D)=P[(1 \cap 2) \cup (3 \cap 4) \cup (1 \cap 4) \cup (3 \cap 2) \cap 5] \)

The above just shows that it can go through the path 1,2,5 or 3,4,5 or 1,4,5 or 3,2,5. It has to be at least one of them but it can be more. Now using independence and complements this simplifies to:

\(\displaystyle P(A \rightarrow D)=\left(1 - P \left[ (1 \cap 2)' \cap (3 \cap 4)' \cap (1 \cap 4)' \cap (3 \cap 2)' \right]
\right)*p_5=\boxed{\left[1 - (1-p_1p_2)(1-p_3p_4)(1-p_1p_4)(1-p_3p_2)
\right]p_5}\)

Solution II
Using a similar argument but instead of listing the paths I will list the stages. It has to pass through 1 or 3 initially, then 2 or 4 and finally 5.

\(\displaystyle P(A \rightarrow D)=P[(1 \cup 3) \cap (2 \cup 4) \cap 5]\).

Now using independence and the inclusion-exclusion principle I get the following answer:

\(\displaystyle P(A \rightarrow D) = \boxed{(p_1+p_3-p_1p_3)(p_2+p_4-p_2p_4)p_5}\)

So my main question is do you agree with both of these answers? Any comments? :)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi Jameson!

The idea of solution I is fine, but it does not work like that because the probabilities are not independent.
Btw, please add couple of parentheses in the first line - it hurts my eyes to see something that is incorrect.

Solution II is fine.

I like Serena said:
Hi Jameson!

The idea of solution I is fine, but it does not work like that because the probabilities are not independent.
Btw, please add couple of parentheses in the first line - it hurts my eyes to see something that is incorrect.

Solution II is fine.

Hi I like Serena! :)

The probabilities are independent actually. That's the only reason I can factor them at all like I did. Is there some way I did it incorrectly?

Where should I add parentheses? I admit it doesn't look the best but I tried to format it as nicely as I could.

Jameson said:
Hi I like Serena! :)

The probabilities are independent actually. That's the only reason I can factor them at all like I did. Is there some way I did it incorrectly?

Where should I add parentheses? I admit it doesn't look the best but I tried to format it as nicely as I could.

It should be:
$$P(A \rightarrow D)=P\left[\left(\phantom{\frac{}{}}(1 \cap 2) \cup (3 \cap 4) \cup (1 \cap 4) \cup (3 \cap 2)\right) \cap 5\right]$$
In the following calculation the probabilities are not independent, because 2 appears in both of them.
$$P \left[ (1 \cap 2)' \cap (3 \cap 2)' \right] \ne P \left[ (1 \cap 2)' \right] P\left[ (3 \cap 2)' \right]$$

So you're saying the LHS actually simplifies to \(\displaystyle (1-p_1)(1-p_2)(1-p_3)\) but the RHS will be \(\displaystyle (1-p_1)(1-p_2)^2(1-p_3)\). If so then that makes sense.

So assuming this idea is correct, \(\displaystyle P(A \rightarrow D)=P\left[\left(\phantom{\frac{}{}}(1 \cap 2) \cup (3 \cap 4) \cup (1 \cap 4) \cup (3 \cap 2)\right) \cap 5\right]\), then how would you proceed to simplify it?

Jameson said:
So you're saying the LHS actually simplifies to \(\displaystyle (1-p_1)(1-p_2)(1-p_3)\) but the RHS will be \(\displaystyle (1-p_1)(1-p_2)^2(1-p_3)\). If so then that makes sense.

Not quite. You are forgetting the negations.

So assuming this idea is correct, \(\displaystyle P(A \rightarrow D)=P\left[\left(\phantom{\frac{}{}}(1 \cap 2) \cup (3 \cap 4) \cup (1 \cap 4) \cup (3 \cap 2)\right) \cap 5\right]\), then how would you proceed to simplify it?

I wouldn't.
It becomes way to complex.
I suspect it would be best to reduce the set expression to one without duplications.
We can assume that you'll simply get the other expression.

Ok, I'll just forget that one. Solution II is very short and easy to do so I'll stick with that method. Luckily that's the method I chose to do today on my midterm, haha. :p

Thanks again for all your help.

Related to Probability of current flowing through circuits

1. What is the concept of probability in circuits?

Probability in circuits refers to the likelihood or chance of current flowing through a specific path or component in a circuit. It is based on the principles of probability theory, which is used to predict the behavior of random events in a circuit.

2. How is probability calculated in circuits?

The probability of current flowing through a circuit is calculated using the formula P = I/R, where P is the probability, I is the current, and R is the resistance. This formula is based on Ohm's law, which states that the current in a circuit is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance.

3. What factors affect the probability of current flow in circuits?

The probability of current flowing through a circuit is affected by various factors such as the voltage, resistance, and the type of circuit (series or parallel). Additionally, the presence of voltage sources, such as batteries, and the number and arrangement of components in the circuit can also impact the probability of current flow.

4. Can the probability of current flow be controlled in circuits?

Yes, the probability of current flow in circuits can be controlled by manipulating the voltage, resistance, and the type and arrangement of components. For example, by increasing the resistance in a series circuit, the probability of current flow decreases. Similarly, in a parallel circuit, adding more branches can increase the probability of current flow.

5. How is probability used in troubleshooting circuits?

Probability is an essential tool in troubleshooting circuits as it helps to predict the behavior of current flow and identify potential issues. By analyzing the probability of current flow in different paths and components, scientists can pinpoint the source of a problem and determine the best solution to fix it.