Probability of drawing at least x cards of type A in n draws

In summary: Your Name]In summary, a forum member is seeking help with calculating probabilities for drawing at least x cards of type A in n draws for a card game workshop. They previously used a spreadsheet for calculations but lost some notes. They are having trouble recreating the files and need assistance with the correct formula for values of x > 1 and n > 7. The recommended approach is to use a combination formula and sum up the probabilities for all possible values of x. Online calculators and spreadsheets can be used for easier calculations.
LeePerry
I've been asked to give a workshop at my local youth center about a certain card game (MtG for those that know it). The last time I did this was a few years ago and I lost some of my notes in the mean time.

I always presented the attendants with a little spreadsheet with a variety of useful statistics for the game. But I'm having some trouble to recreate my files for one specific data-point. And I need a little bit of help getting the correct formula, since the probabilities I found seemed to be way off with my intuition of what they should be.

This is the setup and the probabilities I want to calculate.

Imagine a deck of cards with two types of cards A & B, the division between A & B is uneven (for example 18 A & 22 B, for a total of 40 cards)
The question now is what are the probabilities of drawing at least x (1,2,3,...) cards of type A in n (1,2,3,...) draws.

for x=1 and n=7, I use the following calculation (which I'm pretty sure is correct):

1-((22/40)(21/39)(20/38)...(16/34)) and if I want to adjust the value of n I can just add more terms (if n=8 then the last term would be (15/33), etc...)

my problem comes if I want to calculate the probability for values of x > 1

at first I tried out shifting the numbers of cards in the deck (as if I had taken out 1 card A of the deck and then used the same method to calculate the probability for at least (x-1) in my next (n-1) draws. leading to the following

if x=2 and n=8 : 1-((22/39)(21/38)...(15/33))

I can give the workshop without this data, but I've always got positive reactions to the fact that I could explain certain 'strategic' rules from the game based on actual numbers, and I'm feeling a bit of a klutz right now because I can't even figure out these numbers on my own at the moment.

so if anyone could give me some pointers as to how I would go about to calculate these odds with x > 1 and n > 7, I would be very much obliged.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for reaching out for help with your workshop. I am happy to assist you with your calculations for the probabilities of drawing at least x cards of type A in n draws.

Firstly, your calculation for x=1 and n=7 is indeed correct. However, for values of x>1, we need to use a different approach. Instead of shifting the numbers of cards in the deck, we can use a combination formula to calculate the probabilities.

The formula for calculating the probability of drawing exactly x cards of type A in n draws is:

P(x) = (nCx)(p^x)(q^(n-x))

Where:
n is the total number of draws
x is the number of cards of type A we want to draw
p is the probability of drawing a card of type A (in your example, 18/40)
q is the probability of drawing a card of type B (in your example, 22/40)
nCx is the combination formula, which can be calculated as n!/(x!(n-x)!), where n! is the factorial of n.

To calculate the probability of drawing at least x cards of type A, we need to sum up the probabilities for all possible values of x. So for x=2 and n=8, the calculation would be:

P(2) = (8C2)(18/40)^2(22/40)^6 + (8C3)(18/40)^3(22/40)^5 + (8C4)(18/40)^4(22/40)^4 + (8C5)(18/40)^5(22/40)^3 + (8C6)(18/40)^6(22/40)^2 + (8C7)(18/40)^7(22/40)^1 + (8C8)(18/40)^8(22/40)^0

This may seem like a lot of calculations, but there are online calculators that can help you with the combination formula and you can also use a spreadsheet to make the calculations easier.

I hope this helps you with your workshop and I wish you all the best in your presentation. Feel free to reach out if you have any further questions or if you need any additional help.

Related to Probability of drawing at least x cards of type A in n draws

What is the formula for calculating the probability of drawing at least x cards of type A in n draws?

The formula for calculating this probability is: P(at least x cards of type A in n draws) = 1 - P(0 cards of type A in n draws) - P(1 card of type A in n draws) - ... - P(x-1 cards of type A in n draws), where P(k cards of type A in n draws) is the probability of drawing exactly k cards of type A in n draws.

How can I use probability to increase my chances of drawing at least x cards of type A in n draws?

You can increase your chances by increasing the number of draws (n) and/or increasing the number of cards of type A in the deck. This will give you a larger pool of cards to draw from, increasing the likelihood of drawing at least x cards of type A.

What factors can affect the probability of drawing at least x cards of type A in n draws?

The factors that can affect this probability include the total number of cards in the deck, the number of cards of type A in the deck, the number of draws (n), and whether or not the draws are with or without replacement. These factors can all impact the likelihood of drawing at least x cards of type A.

What is the difference between drawing at least x cards of type A and drawing exactly x cards of type A?

Drawing at least x cards of type A means that you could potentially draw more than x cards of type A, while drawing exactly x cards of type A means that you can only draw exactly x cards of type A and no more. The probability for drawing at least x cards of type A will always be equal to or greater than the probability for drawing exactly x cards of type A.

Can I use the same formula to calculate the probability of drawing at least x cards of type A in different scenarios?

Yes, the same formula can be used for different scenarios as long as the factors that affect the probability (such as the number of cards of type A and the number of draws) remain the same. However, if these factors change, the formula may need to be adjusted accordingly.