Probability of finding a particle at X?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the probability of a particle's position at a given time, inspired by quantum physics. It is suggested to integrate the probability from T1 to T2 and normalize it properly to find a function of X that gives the probability. The example of X(t) = cos(t) is used to demonstrate the process.
Chuckstabler
Hey all,

Here's my question : Given X is the position of a particle at time T, how would I go about finding the probability of finding said particle at any given position if i randomly pick a time out of the interval T1 to T2?

Let's say that my X(t) = cos(t). How can I find the probability of observing the value of X(t) to be equal to some value X if i randomly select a value for time from my interval T1<T<T2?

This is kind of inspired by quantum physics; in particular the time independent solutions to the shrodinger wave equation for a harmonic oscillator. Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Integrate from T1 to T2?
For a classical motion with a non-zero velocity, this leads to a sum over ##\displaystyle \frac{1}{v_i}## where vi are the velocities at times i where the particle crosses the position you are looking at.

Integrate what from T1 - T2? X(t)? 1/V(t)? What I'd ultimately want would be a function of X that gives me the probability.

Kinda confused, sorry :/

Integrate the probability to find the particle at position x at time t from T1 to T2 (and divide by (T2-T1) to normalize it properly). With an exact position that needs distributions to do it properly, but with the result I posted above.

It is probably easier with the example:
X(t) = cos(t)
X'(t) = -sin(t)
Let's say T1=0 and T2=2 pi and we are interested in the probability to find the particle at x=0. The particle crosses this point twice, at 1/2 pi and 3/2 pi. The derivative there is -1 and 1 respectively. The sum I suggested (forgot to take the absolute value) gives ##\frac{1}{|-1|} + \frac{1}{|1|}##, dividing it by 2 pi gives 1/pi.
The probability to find ##x=\sqrt{3/4}##, following the same steps, is ##\frac{1}{2\pi} \left( \frac{1}{|-1/2|} + \frac{1}{|1/2|} \right) = \frac{2}{\pi}##.

Related to Probability of finding a particle at X?

1. What is the probability of finding a particle at a specific location?

The probability of finding a particle at a specific location is determined by the wave function, which describes the probability of finding a particle at various locations. However, it is important to note that the exact location of a particle cannot be predicted with 100% certainty.

2. How is the probability of finding a particle calculated?

The probability of finding a particle is calculated by taking the square of the amplitude of its wave function at a specific location. This gives the probability density, which represents the likelihood of finding the particle at that location.

3. Can the probability of finding a particle be greater than 1?

No, the probability of finding a particle cannot be greater than 1. This is because the total probability of finding a particle must equal 1, representing the certainty of finding the particle somewhere in space.

4. How does the probability of finding a particle change over time?

The probability of finding a particle at a specific location changes over time according to the Schrödinger equation, which describes how the wave function evolves with time. As the wave function changes, the probability of finding the particle at different locations also changes.

5. Can the probability of finding a particle be negative?

No, the probability of finding a particle cannot be negative. This is because probability is a measure of likelihood, and a negative probability would indicate a negative likelihood, which is not physically meaningful.