Probability of finding all 5 errors in a text with 3 people?

In summary, there are a total of 5 errors in the text, and the probability of finding at least one error is 0,74.
TheSodesa

Homework Statement

There are 5 errors, and 3 people are proofreading the text.

• P(1. person finds an error) = 0,5
  • P(2. person finds an error) = 0,6
  • P(3. person finds an error) = 0,7
There are 5 errors, and whenever a person comes across one, they have the above probability of seeing it. Depending on the combinations, the probabilities are multiplied together. The question implies that the probabilities are not dependent on each other.

Homework Equations

P(A and B) = P(A) * P(B)

The Attempt at a Solution

Now, my head is telling me, that there are a huge number of ways (combinations) the people could find the errors in. e.g.:

1. Person 1 finds all errors, the other 2 find none. (0,5^5 * 0,4^5 * 0,3^5)
  2. Person 1 finds 3, person 2 finds 1 and person 3 finds 1. ((0,5^3 * 0,5^2 ) * (0,6 * 0,4^4 ) * (0,7 * 0,3^4 )
  3. Person 1 finds none, person 2 finds 3 and person 3 finds 2. (0,5^5 * (0,6^3 * 0,4^2 ) * (0,7^2 * 0,3^3 ))
  4. All people find all errors. (= 0,5^5 * 0,6^5 * 0,7^5 )
I know how to calculate combinations, but do I really have to go through all the possibilities and add the probabilities together. Are you even supposed to sum them up?

There is also the issue of possibly having to consider the order in which the errors are found in, but I very much doubt that is required. That would probably really bloat the answer to unreasonable proportions, and I wouldn't know if that's even possible mathematically.

For the record, the answer at the back of the book is 0,74. This leads me to think that addition is necessary, since probabilities are always 0 <= P <= 1 and the largest probability of finding an error is less than the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Forget it. Turns out it was a simple solution after all. Got help from another forum, and I can't believe i didn't see the solution right away.

Just calculate the probability of none of the reviewers finding an error as they come across it, and the reduce that from 1 to get the probability of at least one of them finding it. Then just raise that to the 5th power to extend the probability to all 5 errors.

It's like the chance of throwing a six with six dice (you'd be surprised at the number of people who go from 1/6, 2/6, 3/6 to 6/6 if you bring it to them gradually).

Related to Probability of finding all 5 errors in a text with 3 people?

What is the probability of finding all 5 errors in a text with 3 people?

The probability of finding all 5 errors in a text with 3 people depends on several factors, such as the length and complexity of the text, the accuracy of the people checking for errors, and the time allotted for error checking. It is difficult to give a specific probability without knowing these details.

Can probability be used to guarantee that all 5 errors will be found?

No, probability cannot guarantee that all 5 errors will be found. Probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring, but it does not guarantee that the event will happen. Other factors, such as human error or limited time, can also impact the likelihood of finding all 5 errors.

Does the number of people checking for errors affect the probability of finding all 5 errors?

Yes, the number of people checking for errors can affect the probability of finding all 5 errors. With more people checking, there is a higher likelihood that all 5 errors will be found. However, if the people checking are not accurate or efficient, then the probability may not increase significantly.

How can the probability of finding all 5 errors be increased?

The probability of finding all 5 errors can be increased by having a larger number of people check for errors, ensuring that the people checking are accurate and efficient, and allowing for more time to thoroughly check for errors. Using tools such as spell checkers or grammar checkers can also increase the probability of finding errors.

Is it possible to have a 100% probability of finding all 5 errors?

It is possible to have a 100% probability of finding all 5 errors, but it would require perfect accuracy and efficiency from the people checking for errors, as well as ample time to thoroughly check the text. However, it is unlikely to have a 100% probability in real-world situations.