Probability of Getting 4 Tails in 10 Flips

• Thread starter Miike012
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the probability of getting exactly four tails when flipping a coin ten times is 1/11. However, this only holds true if the flips are fair and independent. Using the binomial distribution or permutations can more accurately calculate the probability of getting four tails in any specific order.
Miike012
You flip a count 10 times what is the probability of getting exactly four tails?

My solution.
out of ten flips you can get

0 tails out of 10 flips
1 tails out of 10 flips
2 tails out of ten flips
3 tails out of ten flips
4 tails out of ten flips
5 tails out of ten flips
6 tails out of ten flips
7 tails out of ten flips
8 tails out of ten flips
9 tails out of ten flips
or
10 tails out of ten flips

So there are 11 different cases. Therefore would the answer be 1/11?

Physics news on Phys.org
Miike012 said:
You flip a count 10 times what is the probability of getting exactly four tails?

My solution.

0 tails out of 10 flips
1 tails out of 10 flips
2 tails out of ten flips
3 tails out of ten flips
4 tails out of ten flips
5 tails out of ten flips
6 tails out of ten flips
7 tails out of ten flips
8 tails out of ten flips
9 tails out of ten flips
or

Do you really think those cases are equally probable??

As Dick suggests, you need to rethink the problem. What is the probability of NOT getting a tail on any single flip?

Miike012 said:

My solution.

0 tails out of 10 flips
1 tails out of 10 flips
2 tails out of ten flips
3 tails out of ten flips
4 tails out of ten flips
5 tails out of ten flips
6 tails out of ten flips
7 tails out of ten flips
8 tails out of ten flips
9 tails out of ten flips
or

You are missing some basics, so to clarify, start with the simpler case of 2 flips. You can write down all the possible ways to obtain 0 tails, 1 tail and 2 tails, and from there you can get the probabilities.

You need to assume something about the flips: (i) they are fair (equal chance of H or T each time); and (ii) the flips are independent (that is, the results on one flip do not affect the probabilities of H or T on any other flip---the coin does not "remember" anything).

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
You are missing some basics, so to clarify, start with the simpler case of 2 flips. You can write down all the possible ways to obtain 0 tails, 1 tail and 2 tails, and from there you can get the probabilities.

You need to assume something about the flips: (i) they are fair (equal chance of H or T each time); and (ii) the flips are independent (that is, the results on one flip do not affect the probabilities of H or T on any other flip---the coin does not "remember" anything).

0 tails:
Flip 1: H
Flip 2: H

1 tails:
Flip 2: T

OR

Flip 1: T

2 tails:

There are 4 cases.. is that correct?

Miike012 said:
0 tails:

1 tails:

OR

2 tails:

There are 4 cases.. is that correct?

Yes, so for two coins that shows the probability of 0 tails is 1/4, 1 tail is 2/4 and 2 tails is 1/4. It's going to be tedious to write out cases that way with 10 coins. Haven't you learned to use combinatorial arguments or the binomial distribution to calculate it without writing cases out?

Dick said:
Yes, so for two coins that shows the probability of 0 tails is 1/4, 1 tail is 2/4 and 2 tails is 1/4. It's going to be tedious to write out cases that way with 10 coins. Haven't you learned to use combinatorial arguments or the binomial distribution to calculate it without writing cases out?

So then it would be

10 choose 0
10 choose 1
10 choose 2
10 choose 10
Then would the answer be

10 choose 4/(Ʃ(10 choose i)) i from 0 to 10

Miike012 said:
So then it would be

10 choose 0
10 choose 1
10 choose 2
10 choose 10
Then would the answer be

10 choose 4/(Ʃ(10 choose i)) i from 0 to 10

Yes, it would. But there's an easy way to evaluate the sum in the denominator. It's all total ways of choosing heads or tails. It's 2^10.

Dick said:
Yes, it would. But there's an easy way to evaluate the sum in the denominator. It's all total ways of choosing heads or tails. It's 2^10.

Thank you!

Let p=Probability of getting Heads=0.5
q=Probability of getting Tails=0.5
assuming all flips are independent, probability of getting 4 heads=p*p*p*p*q*q*q*q*q*q
you are doing the mistake of assuming getting 1, 2, 3 ...heads(or tails) is equally likely. They clearly aren't. This is a typical example of bernoulli trials.

<sHoRtFuSe> said:
Let p=Probability of getting Heads=0.5
q=Probability of getting Tails=0.5
assuming all flips are independent, probability of getting 4 heads=p*p*p*p*q*q*q*q*q*q
Well, no, that's the probability of getting four heads first then six tails. And it's the same as any other specific sequence of outcomes.

haruspex said:
Well, no, that's the probability of getting four heads first then six tails. And it's the same as any other specific sequence of outcomes.
Okay i should have multiplied by 10!/4!6!

Miike012 said:

My solution.

0 tails out of 10 flips
1 tails out of 10 flips
2 tails out of ten flips
3 tails out of ten flips
4 tails out of ten flips
5 tails out of ten flips
6 tails out of ten flips
7 tails out of ten flips
8 tails out of ten flips
9 tails out of ten flips
or

You also have to consider the order in which you get the heads and tails, and this problem would clearly become tedious without the binomial distribution, or without applying permutations. What I mean is that you'll have to consider the probability of ALL the different ways tails in the combination T,T,T,T,H,H,H,H,H,H could be arranged. (Like having H,T,T,H,T,TH,H,H,H is different and its probability also has to be included in the final answer.)

FAQ: Probability of Getting 4 Tails in 10 Flips

1. What is the probability of getting 4 tails in 10 flips?

The probability of getting 4 tails in 10 flips is approximately 20.5%. This can be calculated by using the binomial distribution formula, which takes into account the number of trials (10), the probability of success (50% for tails), and the number of desired successes (4).

2. How does the number of flips affect the probability of getting 4 tails?

The number of flips does not affect the probability of getting 4 tails, as long as the probability of success remains the same for each flip. This is because each flip is an independent event, meaning the outcome of one flip does not affect the outcome of the next.

3. What is the likelihood of getting exactly 4 tails in 10 flips?

The likelihood of getting exactly 4 tails in 10 flips is the same as the probability of getting 4 tails in 10 flips, which is approximately 20.5%. The terms likelihood and probability are often used interchangeably when discussing random events.

4. Can the probability of getting 4 tails in 10 flips be higher than 50%?

No, the probability of getting 4 tails in 10 flips cannot be higher than 50%. This is because the probability of success for each flip is 50%, so the maximum probability for 4 tails in 10 flips is 50% (if all 10 flips resulted in tails).

5. How does the probability of getting 4 tails in 10 flips compare to other outcomes?

The probability of getting 4 tails in 10 flips is just one possible outcome out of many. The probability of getting any specific number of tails (e.g. 3, 5, or 10) in 10 flips will be different, but each outcome has its own unique probability. For example, the probability of getting 3 tails in 10 flips is approximately 11.7%, while the probability of getting 5 tails is approximately 20.5%.

Back