Probability of holding 3 different posts in a committee

• Thread starter desmond iking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
So instead of just multiplying by 3! (=6) in your solution to (a), multiply by 40C3 (=9880) instead.In summary, the probability of A, B, and C being selected as the monitor, assistant monitor, and treasurer respectively is 1/59280. The probability of A, B, and C being selected to hold any of the three posts is 1/9880. This is found by multiplying the solution to (a) by the number of possible combinations, which is 40C3.
desmond iking

Homework Statement

A , B and C are from a class of 40 students. Three students are selected to be a monitor, assistant monitor and treasurer.
a) What's the probability of A to be monitor, B to be assistant monitor , C to be treasurer

my ans is (1/(40 x 39 x 38))=1/59280

b. What's the probablity of A , B and C are selected to hold three post?

can someone help me on part b plaese?

my working is 40C3=9880

but the ans is 1/9880

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
desmond iking said:

Homework Statement

A , B and C are from a class of 40 students. Three students are selected to be a monitor, assistant monitor and treasurer.
a) What's the probability of A to be monitor, B to be assistant monitor , C to be treasurer

my ans is (1/(40 x 39 x 38))=1/59280

b. What's the probablity of A , B and C are selected to hold three post?

can someone help me on part b plaese?

my working is 40C3=9880

but the ans is 1/9880

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Presumably you wrote down 40C3=9880 for some reason. What is that reason?

Ray Vickson said:
Presumably you wrote down 40C3=9880 for some reason. What is that reason?

choose 3 person form 40 person for the 3 posts

desmond iking said:
choose 3 person form 40 person for the 3 posts

OK, so now what should you do?

Personally, I would start from the solution to (a) and think about it a bit more: your solution to (a) is for the ordering (monitor,assistant monitor, treasurer) = (A,B,C). However there are other allowed selections, such as (A,C,B) and several others. They all have probabilities of their own, and their total is what you are after.

Related to Probability of holding 3 different posts in a committee

1. What is the probability of being selected for 3 different posts in a committee?

The probability of being selected for 3 different posts in a committee depends on the total number of members in the committee and the number of available posts. If the committee has a small number of members and a large number of available posts, the probability of being selected for 3 different posts is higher. However, if the committee has a large number of members and a small number of available posts, the probability of being selected for 3 different posts is lower.

2. How is the probability of holding 3 different posts in a committee calculated?

The probability of holding 3 different posts in a committee is calculated by dividing the number of possible combinations of 3 different posts by the total number of possible combinations of posts in the committee. This can be represented as P(3 different posts) = Number of combinations of 3 different posts / Total number of combinations of posts in the committee.

3. What factors affect the probability of holding 3 different posts in a committee?

The factors that affect the probability of holding 3 different posts in a committee include the total number of members in the committee, the number of available posts, and the selection process. Additionally, the skills, qualifications, and experience of the individual can also impact their chances of being selected for multiple posts in the committee.

4. Is it more likely to hold 3 different posts in a smaller or larger committee?

It is generally more likely to hold 3 different posts in a smaller committee. This is because smaller committees typically have a smaller number of members and a larger number of available posts, increasing the chances of being selected for multiple posts. However, this also depends on the factors mentioned in the previous question.

5. Can the probability of holding 3 different posts in a committee be increased?

Yes, the probability of holding 3 different posts in a committee can be increased by having the necessary skills and qualifications for the available posts, actively participating in the selection process, and networking with other members of the committee. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of the committee's goals and objectives, as this can make you a more desirable candidate for multiple posts.