Probability of measuring a specific value in a spin-1/2 system

In summary, a spin-1/2 system in the state \left|ψ\right\rangle = \left|0.5, z\right\rangle of the S_{z} spin operator has eigenvalue s = +\hbar/2. The expectation value of the S_{x} operator is \hbar z/2 and the expectation value of the S_{z} operator is \hbar (0.25 - z^{2})/2. The probability of measuring \hbar/2 in a measurement of the S_{x} operator in the same system is 0.5.
mtd

Homework Statement

A spin-1/2 system in the state [itex] \left|ψ\right\rangle = \left|0.5, z\right\rangle[/itex] of the [itex]S_{z}[/itex] spin operator has eigenvalue [itex]s = +\hbar/2[/itex]. Find the expectation values of the [itex]S_{z}[/itex] and [itex]S_{x}[/itex] operators.

Homework Equations

[itex]\left\langle S_{x,z}\right\rangle = \left\langle ψ \right| S_{x,z}\left|ψ\right\rangle[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Multiplied out above equations to find [itex]\hbar z/2[/itex] and [itex]\hbar (0.25 - z^{2})/2[/itex] for the x and z directions, respectively. I assume [itex]z[/itex] is just "some variable" - is it safe to normalize the eigenstate and set z equal to root 0.75?

Homework Statement

Find the probability of measuring [itex]\hbar /2[/itex] in a measurement of [itex]S_{x}[/itex] in the same system.

Homework Equations

The probability of measuring the eigenvalue [itex]a_{n}[/itex] in a measurement of the observable [itex]A[/itex] is [itex]P \left( a_{n} \right) = \left| \left\langle b_{n} |ψ \right\rangle \right| ^{2}[/itex] where [itex]\left|b_{n}\right\rangle[/itex] is the normalised eigenvector of [itex]A[/itex] corresponding the the eigenvalue

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe this should just be the eigenvalue squared i.e. [itex]\hbar ^{2}/4[/itex], but I'm not sure if or why this is the case.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]S_x[/itex] and [itex]S_z[/itex] are the operators, representing the spin-x and -z components. Usually you write them with help of the Pauli spin matrices as
[tex]S_j=\frac{\hbar}{2} \sigma_j, \quad j \in \{x,y,z\}.[/tex]

In the 2nd problem just calculate what you've written down and not guess some eigenvalue. Think also about the question, how can a probability be a dimensionful quantity as your result suggests?

I used the Pauli matrices to get my solution for the first question. For the second question I found the eigenvector for [itex]S_{x}[/itex] to be [itex](1,1)[/itex] and the probability of measuring [itex]\hbar /2[/itex] to be [itex](z+0.5)^{2}[/itex]. However, if the eigenstate of the system is normalised and [itex]z = \sqrt{3/4}[/itex] then I must be incorrect.

Thank you

edit: Using the other eigenvector [itex](1,−1)[/itex] yielded [itex](z−0.5)^{2} = 0.134[/itex] - my first choice of eigenvector corresponded to [itex]-\hbar /2[/itex] rather than [itex]\hbar /2[/itex]. I think I've solved the question, but why is the probability incorrect when I use the negative eigenvalue? I believe it is a valid value of [itex]s_{x}[/itex]

Last edited:
I don't understand what [itex]z[/itex] should mean. In the formula you quote, there is no variable [itex]z[/itex].

You have [itex]|1/2,x \rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} [/itex] (I've normalized the vector properly for you). Your system is prepared in the spin state [itex]|\psi \rangle = \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix}[/itex]. Now you should be able to calculate the probability to measure [itex]\hbar/2[/itex] for [itex]\sigma_x[/itex]!

Strange, the system state should be displayed like this:
ebc6814477.png

edit: Okay, I think I understand why the system state should be [itex]\begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix}[/itex], i.e. [itex]z = 0[/itex] - by using the [itex]S_{z}[/itex] operator on the given eigenstate you can see the z has to be zero.

Using this information I find expectation values of 0 and [itex]\hbar /2[/itex] for x and z respectively. However with [itex]z = 0[/itex] I find that probability of measuring [itex]\hbar /2[/itex] for [itex]S_{x}[/itex] is 1 which is inconsistent with the expectation value.

Last edited:
Argh! Sorry, I've overlooked this. I understood the question such that [itex]|\psi \rangle[/itex] should be the eigenstate of [itex]\hat{s}_z[/itex] with eigenvalue [itex]\hbar/2[/itex]. Then, in the usual convention to choose the Pauli matrices with respect to the [itex]\hat{s}_z[/itex] eigenbasis, [itex]z=0[/itex].

For the probability you have to normalize the eigenvector of [itex]\hat{\sigma}_x[/itex] to 1!

Likes 1 person
Aha, got it (P = 0.5). Must remember to normalise eigenkets. Thanks!

good!

FAQ: Probability of measuring a specific value in a spin-1/2 system

What is a spin-1/2 system?

A spin-1/2 system is a quantum mechanical system that describes the spin of a particle. It is a basic model used in many areas of physics, including quantum mechanics and condensed matter physics.

What is the probability of measuring a specific value in a spin-1/2 system?

The probability of measuring a specific value in a spin-1/2 system depends on the state of the system and the observable being measured. In general, the probability is given by the square of the absolute value of the projection of the state onto the eigenstate corresponding to the measured value.

How is the probability of measuring a specific value in a spin-1/2 system calculated?

The probability of measuring a specific value in a spin-1/2 system is calculated using the Born rule, which states that the probability is equal to the square of the absolute value of the projection of the state onto the eigenstate corresponding to the measured value.

What factors affect the probability of measuring a specific value in a spin-1/2 system?

The probability of measuring a specific value in a spin-1/2 system is affected by the state of the system, the observable being measured, and the orientation of the measurement apparatus. It is also influenced by external factors such as magnetic fields.

How does the probability of measuring a specific value in a spin-1/2 system relate to the uncertainty principle?

The probability of measuring a specific value in a spin-1/2 system is related to the uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely an observable is known, the less precisely the conjugate observable can be known. This means that the more accurately we know the spin of a particle in a spin-1/2 system, the less we know about its position and vice versa.

Back