Probability of Removing and not Removing

In summary: So, what would be the probability of drawing two marbles, without replacement, given that the first one is yellow? (Call that event Y1.)Hi,Thanks.If the first one is yellow then the probability of drawing second one would be 4/4 because first one is removed and out of 4 marbles we can draw any one marble. So the probability would be 1/1. So, what would be the probability of drawing two marbles, without replacement, given that the first one is yellow? (Call that event Y1.)Zulfi.If the first one is yellow, then the probability of drawing the second one would be 4/4 because the first one is removed and out
zak100

Homework Statement

A jar has 5 marbles, 1 of each of the colors red, white, blue, green and yellow. If 4 marbles are removed from the jar, what is the probability (i) that the yellow one was removed? (i) that the yellow one was not removed?

Homework Equations

probability = favorable outcomes/total outcomes

The Attempt at a Solution

i) 4/5
ii) 4/5

One answer not correct. Some body please guide me.

Zulfi.

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll have to give more details about how you arrived at those solutions.

zak100 said:

Homework Statement

A jar has 5 marbles, 1 of each of the colors red, white, blue, green and yellow. If 4 marbles are removed from the jar, what is the probability (i) that the yellow one was removed? (i) that the yellow one was not removed?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i) 4/5
ii) 4/5

One answer not correct. Some body please guide me.

Zulfi.

Which answer is correct?

Hi,
Thanks for your response.

I think the total outcomes is 4 because at a time we are picking 4 marbles.Now the probability that it is removed is 1/4, because out of 4 only 1 would be the yellow.
And the probability that it is not removed is: 4/4 because it is possible that out of 4 none of them is yellow.

Answer is not correct so please guide me.

Zulfi.

zak100 said:
Hi,
Thanks for your response.

I think the total outcomes is 4 because at a time we are picking 4 marbles.Now the probability that it is removed is 1/4, because out of 4 only 1 would be the yellow.
And the probability that it is not removed is: 4/4 because it is possible that out of 4 none of them is yellow.

Answer is not correct so please guide me.

Zulfi.

What you wrote above is WRONG. If you had a removal event with probability 1/4, the probability of the non-removal event would have to be 3/4 (because two events {removal} and {non-removal} are mutually exclusive and "exhaustive"---- meaning that together they give all the possibilities and so have probabilities that sum to 1).

Anyway, the 1/4 is also wrong.

You need to think more carefully about what you are doing. You should always approach such problems systematically, until you are a lot more experienced. So, the steps you should always follow are:
(1) describe the "sample space" of the experiment---which is the set of all possible outcomes;
(2) assign probabilities to the individual outcomes in the sample space;
(3) obtain the probability of an event of interest by adding together all the individual-outcome probabilities for those outcomes that belong to your event.

For example, when you draw 4 items from 5 differently-colored items you can have a sample-space consisting of all 4-letter strings of the form ABCD, where A is one of the five colors (R,W,G,B,Y), B is another one of the five colors, etc. You may then be interested in the event NY = {no Y} = {no yellow}; this consists of all the 4-letter strings having no letter Y. So, if you assume that all the 4-letter strings are equally likely then you can say that
$$P\{ \text{no yellow}\} = \frac{\text{ number strings not containing Y}}{\text{total number of strings}}\; \hspace{2mm} (1)$$

Have you computed the numerator and denominator of the fraction in (1)?

Last edited:
Likes zak100
zak100 said:
I think the total outcomes is 4 because at a time we are picking 4 marbles.
If you were only picking one marble, would there be only one possible outcome?

Likes zak100
Hi,
Thanks. God bless you. I am able to understand the concept.
If you were only picking one marble, would there be only one possible outcome?
No. There would be five possible outcomes. It means i can get any of the 5 marbles. So there are altogether 5 total outcomes.

i)that the yellow one was removed?

Probability of removing yellow would be 1/5 because there is only one yellow marble.

(i) that the yellow one was not removed?

Probability of not removing yellow would be 4/5 because there are 4 non- yellow marbles.

Zulfi.

zak100 said:
Hi,
No. There would be five possible outcomes. It means i can get any of the 5 marbles. So there are altogether 5 total outcomes.

Probability of removing yellow would be 1/5 because there is only one yellow marble.

Probability of not removing yellow would be 4/5 because there are 4 non- yellow marbles.

Zulfi.
Yes.

zak100 said:
Hi,

Zulfi.

Yes, that is the solution for drawing one marble.

Now you need to extend it to drawing four marbles (without replacement).

However, to get a grasp of the more complicated problem I suggest you go next to the case of drawing two marbles, and leave the 4-marble case for later. (Eventually you will need to deal with the 4-marble case, but you can "sneak up on" the final problem by dealing first with simpler versions.)

Related to Probability of Removing and not Removing

1. What is the probability of removing an object from a set?

The probability of removing an object from a set depends on the number of objects in the set and the specific object being removed. To calculate the probability, you can use the formula: P(A) = Number of outcomes in event A / Total number of possible outcomes.

2. How does removing an object affect the probability of other objects being removed?

Removing an object from a set can change the probability of other objects being removed, depending on the size of the set and the number of objects remaining. If the set is small and the removed object is significant, the probability of other objects being removed may increase. However, if the set is large and the removed object is insignificant, the probability of other objects being removed may not be affected.

3. What is the difference between the probability of removing an object and the probability of not removing an object?

The probability of removing an object and the probability of not removing an object are complementary events. This means that the sum of their probabilities is always equal to 1. The probability of removing an object is the chance that the specific object will be removed from the set, while the probability of not removing an object is the chance that the object will remain in the set.

4. How can you calculate the probability of not removing an object?

To calculate the probability of not removing an object, you can use the formula: P(A') = 1 - P(A), where P(A) is the probability of removing the object from the set. This formula works because the probability of an event and its complementary event must add up to 1.

5. Can the probability of removing an object and the probability of not removing an object be equal?

No, the probability of removing an object and the probability of not removing an object cannot be equal. Since they are complementary events, their probabilities must add up to 1. If the probability of removing an object is high, then the probability of not removing an object is low, and vice versa.