Probability of two events in an hour more than 20 mins apart

In summary, the problem involves finding the probability that the second event occurs at least 20 minutes after the first, given that the two events occur in an hour with a uniform distribution and are independent. This requires using the concept of order statistics and the bivariate distribution of the two events.
Cade

Homework Statement

Suppose that two events occur in an hour, and the probability is uniformly distributed. If the time that the first event occurs has the same distribution as the time that the second event occurs, and the two distributions are independent, what is the probability that the second event occurs at least 20 minutes after the first?

Homework Equations

The distribution is uniform (i.e. pmf=1/60 for each minute).

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to approach this problem. I couldn't find a pattern with this table:
Time of E1, probability of E1 during that time, probability E2 is 20 mins before E1
0..20, 20/60, 0/60
21, 1/60, 1/60
22, 1/60, 2/60
23, 1/60, 3/60,

Physics news on Phys.org
Cade said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that two events occur in an hour, and the probability is uniformly distributed. If the time that the first event occurs has the same distribution as the time that the second event occurs, and the two distributions are independent, what is the probability that the second event occurs at least 20 minutes after the first?

Homework Equations

The distribution is uniform (i.e. pmf=1/60 for each minute).

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to approach this problem. I couldn't find a pattern with this table:
Time of E1, probability of E1 during that time, probability E2 is 20 mins before E1
0..20, 20/60, 0/60
21, 1/60, 1/60
22, 1/60, 2/60
23, 1/60, 3/60,

The times of the earlier and later events are _not_ uniform. You need the concept of *order statistics*; see, eg., http://mathworld.wolfram.com/OrderStatistic.html or
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_statistic . In fact, if X1 and X2 are the two times, and the order statistics are T1 = min(X1,X2) [first] and T2 = max(X1,X2) [second] you want P{T2 >= T1 + 20}. You will need some information about the bivariate distribution of (T1,T2).

RGV

Thanks, I did not see this listed in my lecture notes. I will look into this topic on Mathworld now.

Related to Probability of two events in an hour more than 20 mins apart

1. What is the probability of two events occurring in an hour more than 20 minutes apart?

The probability of two events occurring in an hour more than 20 minutes apart depends on the specific events and their individual probabilities. However, assuming that the two events are independent and randomly occurring, the probability would be the product of the probabilities of each event. For example, if Event A has a probability of 0.6 and Event B has a probability of 0.8, the probability of both events occurring in an hour more than 20 minutes apart would be 0.6 x 0.8 = 0.48 or 48%.

2. How can I calculate the probability of two events occurring in an hour more than 20 minutes apart?

To calculate the probability of two events occurring in an hour more than 20 minutes apart, you would need to know the individual probabilities of each event and the assumption that the events are independent and randomly occurring. You can then use the multiplication rule to find the probability of both events occurring together. It is also helpful to draw a probability tree diagram to visualize the different outcomes and probabilities.

3. Is it possible for the probability of two events occurring in an hour more than 20 minutes apart to be 0?

Yes, it is possible for the probability of two events occurring in an hour more than 20 minutes apart to be 0. This would happen if one or both events have a probability of 0, meaning they are impossible to occur. In this case, the probability of both events occurring together would also be 0.

4. Can the probability of two events occurring in an hour more than 20 minutes apart be greater than 1?

No, the probability of any event or combination of events cannot be greater than 1. A probability of 1 means that the event is certain to occur, while a probability of 0 means that the event is impossible. Therefore, the probability of two events occurring in an hour more than 20 minutes apart cannot be greater than 1.

5. How does the time interval between the two events affect the probability of them occurring more than 20 minutes apart?

The time interval between the two events can greatly affect the probability of them occurring more than 20 minutes apart. If the time interval is shorter, there is a higher chance of the events occurring within 20 minutes of each other. However, if the time interval is longer, the probability of the events occurring more than 20 minutes apart increases. This is because as the time interval increases, there are more possible outcomes where the events can occur more than 20 minutes apart.