Probability of Two People Being in the Same Car

In summary, the problem involves a group of 12 people going out on Saturday night in three cars with four people in each car. The probability of Rafel and Chantal being in the same car is 3/11, as there are three possible cars for them to be together in. This is calculated by dividing the number of ways they can be in the same car (10C2)(8C4)(4C4) by the total number of outcomes (12C4)(8C4)(4C4).
wk1989

Homework Statement

A group of 12 people is going out on the town on Saturday night. The group will take three cars with four people in each car. If they distribute themselves among the cars at random, what is the probability that Rafel and Chantal will be in the same car.

Homework Equations

P (Rafel&Chantal) = # ways they are in the same car/ total # of outcomes.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I have so far:

I place these 2 in a car, so

(10C2)(8C4)(4C4) / (12C4)(8C4)(4C4)

Doing this I get 1/11 which is supposed to be the right answer, but however I'm confused and how this works because:

(12C4)(8C4)(4C4) basically divides these 12 people into 3 groups each using a car, so you could have

ABC
BCA
BAC,
etc, etc

Where A,B and C are groups, the positions represents a car.

However the expression at the top (10C2)(8C4)(4C4) forces the 2 ppl to be in the first car ONLY. So I multiplied by 3, doing so I get 3/11 which is the wrong answer. I don't understand why, since the order matters for arranging all of them, how come you can only have the 2 people in the first car?

Sorry if my I'm not describing the problem well, thanks!

Likes s11195959
Physics news on Phys.org
Doesn't 1/11 feel intuitively like it's too small? It is. Think of the problem another way. There are three people in the car with Chantal and eight people in the other cars. Any one of them is equally likely to be Rafel. So the correct probability is indeed 3/11. And your reasoning is correct, there three different choices for a car for them to be together in.

Oh, then it could be a mistake in the solution for our problem sets, I will speak to the teacher about it.

Related to Probability of Two People Being in the Same Car

What is a probability question?

A probability question is a type of question that involves determining the likelihood of a certain event or outcome occurring. It usually involves using mathematical principles and formulas to calculate the chances of an event happening.

How do you calculate probability?

Probability is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This can be represented as a fraction, decimal, or percentage.

What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely, whereas experimental probability is based on actual data and observations from experiments or real-life events.

Can probability be greater than 1?

No, probability cannot be greater than 1. A probability of 1 represents a 100% chance of an event occurring, while a probability of 0 represents a 0% chance.

How is probability used in real life?

Probability is used in many real-life situations, such as predicting the weather, gambling, insurance, and in decision-making processes. It helps us make informed choices and understand the likelihood of certain events happening.