Probability of x failing before y

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the probability that the X component fails before the Y component, given their respective densities. This can be calculated by finding the integral of the joint density function over a certain region. As the components are independent, the integral can be separated into two parts and the limits can be described using the same variable.
tony3333
hi,
i have a problem and i really want you to help me with it.
if we have: density of X : f(x)=exp(-x), and density of Y : f(y)=2*exp(-2y) (independent components), what is the probability that X component fails first?
(it should be a number)
thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
If I understand correctly, you will want P{X<Y}.

You can calculate this as follows: let [tex]A=\{(x,y)~\vert~0\leq x\leq y\}[/tex]
Then you need to calculate

[tex]\int\int_A{2e^{-x}e^{-2y}dxdy}[/tex]

this will be your probability...

micromass said:
If I understand correctly, you will want P{X<Y}.

You can calculate this as follows: let [tex]A=\{(x,y)~\vert~0\leq x\leq y\}[/tex]
Then you need to calculate

[tex]\int\int_A{2e^{-x}e^{-2y}dxdy}[/tex]

this will be your probability...

and because these are independent, we can separate the integrals and have

[tex]\int_A{e^{-x}dx \int_A{2e^{-2y}dy[/tex]

and then the variables of every probability , x,y, can be descibed by the same symbol, let's say t
but what should be the limits of the integral?

Last edited:

FAQ: Probability of x failing before y

1. What is the probability of x failing before y?

The probability of x failing before y is the likelihood that x will occur before y in a given situation or event. It can be calculated by dividing the number of times x occurs before y by the total number of occurrences of both x and y.

2. How is the probability of x failing before y determined?

The probability of x failing before y is determined using mathematical formulas and calculations. These formulas take into account the number of possible outcomes and the likelihood of each outcome occurring.

3. What factors can influence the probability of x failing before y?

The probability of x failing before y can be influenced by a variety of factors, such as the frequency of occurrence of x and y, the relationship between x and y, and any external factors that may affect the likelihood of x or y occurring.

4. Is it possible for the probability of x failing before y to be 0 or 1?

Yes, it is possible for the probability of x failing before y to be 0 or 1. This means that the occurrence of x before y is either impossible (probability of 0) or certain (probability of 1) in a given situation or event.

5. How can the probability of x failing before y be used in real-world situations?

The probability of x failing before y can be used in various real-world situations, such as predicting the likelihood of a certain event happening before another, assessing the risk of a particular outcome, and making informed decisions based on the likelihood of one event occurring before another.