Probability of |x-y|>=6 for Two Numbers in Range [0,10]

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the probability of the absolute difference between two randomly chosen numbers in the range [0,10] being greater than or equal to 6 is approximately 0.4 or 40%. This can be represented on a graph as a shaded area under a curve, with the x-axis representing possible outcomes and the y-axis representing probability. The significance of this absolute difference is that it indicates a large gap or distance between the numbers, representing a high level of variation or diversity. The probability will change if the range of numbers is increased or decreased, as there will be more or fewer possible outcomes. This probability can be used in real-life situations to predict the likelihood of significant differences or variations between two related variables, aiding in data analysis and
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Here is this week's POTW:

-----

Two real numbers $x$ and $y$ are chosen in the range $[0,\,10]$.

What is the probability that $|x-y|\ge 6$.

-----

Remember to read the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to http://www.mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
Congratulations to the following members for their correct solution::)
1. MarkFL
2. Opalg

Solution from MarkFL:
Let's let $(x,y)$ be a point in the plane. Now, we know we must satisfy:

\(\displaystyle x-y\ge6\implies y\le x-6\)

\(\displaystyle y-x\ge6\implies y\ge x+6\)

We are also given that the point $(x,y)$ is on the square having the diagonal vertices $(0,0)-(10,10)$.

Hence, the shaded areas represent the points satisfying the given conditions:

\begin{tikzpicture}[>=stealth, xscale=1, yscale=1, font=\large]
\foreach \I in {0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10} {%
\draw (\I,.1) -- (\I,-.1) node[below] {$\I$};%
}
\foreach \I in {0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10} {%
\draw (.1,\I) -- (-.1,\I) node
{$\I$};%
}
\draw[->] (-0.5,0) -- (10.5,0) node
{$x$};
\draw[->] (0,-0.5) -- (0,10.5) node[above] {$y$};
\draw[domain=6:10, smooth, variable=\x, ultra thick, blue] plot ({\x},{(\x)-6}) node
{$y=x-6$};
\fill [green, domain=6:10, variable=\x]
(6, 0)
-- plot ({\x}, {\x-6})
-- (10, 0)
-- cycle;

\draw[domain=0:4, smooth, variable=\x, ultra thick, blue] plot ({\x},{(\x)+6}) node
{$y=x+6$};
\fill [green, domain=0:4, variable=\x]
(0, 10)
-- plot ({\x}, {\x+6})
-- (4, 10)
-- cycle;
\draw[step=1cm,gray,very thin] (0,0) grid (10,10);
\end{tikzpicture}

Now, the required probability is the ratio of the shaded areas to the area of the entire 10X10 grid, hence:

\(\displaystyle P(X)=\frac{4^2}{10^2}=\left(\frac{2}{5}\right)^2=\frac{4}{25}\)​

Related to Probability of |x-y|>=6 for Two Numbers in Range [0,10]

1. What is the probability that the absolute difference between two randomly chosen numbers in the range [0,10] is greater than or equal to 6?

The probability is approximately 0.4 or 40%. This can be calculated by finding the total number of possible outcomes in the range [0,10], which is 11*11 = 121, and then subtracting the number of outcomes where |x-y| is less than 6. This number is 50, since there are 5 possible values for x and y that are within 6 units of each other. Therefore, the probability is (121-50)/121 = 0.4132 or about 41.3%.

2. How can the probability of |x-y|>=6 be represented on a graph?

The probability can be represented on a graph as a shaded area under a curve. The x-axis would represent the possible outcomes of x and y in the range [0,10], and the y-axis would represent the probability of each outcome. The shaded area would be the probability of |x-y|>=6, as calculated in the previous question.

3. What is the significance of the absolute difference between two numbers being greater than or equal to 6?

The absolute difference between two numbers being greater than or equal to 6 means that the two numbers are significantly different from each other. This could represent a large gap or distance between the numbers, indicating a high level of variation or diversity.

4. How does the probability change if the range of numbers is increased or decreased?

The probability will change if the range of numbers is increased or decreased because there will be more or fewer possible outcomes. For example, if the range is increased to [0,20], the total number of outcomes would be 21*21 = 441, and the probability of |x-y|>=6 would decrease. Similarly, if the range is decreased to [0,5], the total number of outcomes would be 6*6 = 36, and the probability would increase.

5. How can the probability of |x-y|>=6 be used in real-life situations?

The probability of |x-y|>=6 can be used in real-life situations to predict the likelihood of significant differences or variations between two related variables. For example, it could be used in data analysis to determine the probability of a large difference between two sets of data. It could also be used in risk assessment to determine the probability of an event with a large margin of error. In general, the probability can help make informed decisions based on the level of variation or diversity between two variables.