Probability or Mathematical Statistics?

In summary, the conversation discussed the speaker's need to take a mathematics elective course and their interest in understanding subjects related to quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics. The two potential courses for the speaker to take were Probability and Mathematical Statistics, with the former being more useful for understanding the mentioned subjects. The group had differing opinions on which course would be more beneficial, with some leaning towards Probability and others recommending both courses. The speaker ultimately decided to take Probability due to their interest in theoretical research.
TLeit
I am a Mathematics and Chemistry major with a Physics minor. I need to take one more mathematics elective course next semester. I had two picked out but both unfortunately overlap with other classes I am taking, so I am now trying to choose between Probability or Mathematical Statistics (course descriptions below). I am currently applying for Physics graduate programs, and am hoping to learn more about quantum mechanics and related branches of physics like statistical mechanics, quantum field theory, and string theory in the future. Does anyone have an opinion on which course would be most useful for understanding those subjects?

Course Descriptions:
Probability: Probability in discrete and continuous sample spaces; conditional probability; counting techniques; probability functions; binomial, Poisson, normal distributions; and transformations of variables.
Mathematical Statistics: Normal, chi-square, t, and F distributions; estimation; hypothesis testing; regression and correlation; analysis of variance; nonparametric statistics; and introduction to Bayesian inference.

Likes Dr. Courtney
Physics news on Phys.org
The subjects covered in Probability are going to be most helpful in both quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics. The Math statistics might (or might not) be useful when it comes to analyzing the data for your graduate thesis.

Likes TLeit
Both are important and I am reluctant to recommend only one of the two. But if you tend toward experimental, statistics has the edge. If you tend toward the theoretical, probability has the edge.

Likes TLeit and Dr. Courtney
How are you even allowed to take mathematical stats without probability??

Likes FactChecker
Thank you for all the advice! I was leaning towards Probability and the comments on here has strengthened my leaning towards that direction. I am interested in pursuing theoretical research in graduate school (if I'm accepted), so Probability definitely sounds like the better course to take for now.

Related to Probability or Mathematical Statistics?

What is probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring. It is often represented as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

What are the types of probability?

There are three main types of probability: classical, empirical, and subjective. Classical probability is based on theoretical assumptions, while empirical probability is based on observed data. Subjective probability is based on personal beliefs or opinions.

What is statistical inference?

Statistical inference is the process of drawing conclusions about a population based on a sample of data. It involves using statistical methods to make predictions or decisions about a larger group based on information from a smaller group.

What is the difference between descriptive and inferential statistics?

Descriptive statistics involves summarizing and describing data, while inferential statistics involves making predictions or inferences about a larger population based on a sample of data.

What are the key concepts in probability and mathematical statistics?

Some key concepts in probability and mathematical statistics include probability distributions, random variables, hypothesis testing, and confidence intervals. These concepts allow for the analysis and interpretation of data and can be applied in various fields such as economics, engineering, and social sciences.