Probability problem (counting numbers which are not divisible by ##k##

In summary: It is exactly as you've said, sorry for not making myself clear.A number is divisible by k if it is a multiple of it ...What is the largest m such that ##mk \leq n##?
mahler1

Homework Statement

Suppose one extracts a ball from a box containing ##n## numbered balls from ##1## to ##n##. For each ##1 \leq k \leq n##, we define ##A_k=\{\text{the number of the chosen ball is divisible by k}\}.##

Find ##P(A_k)## for each natural number which divides ##n##.

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought of thinking of ##P(A_k)## as ##P(A_k)=1-P({A_k}^c)##. And ##P({A_k}^c)=\{\text{the number of the chosen ball is not divisible by k}\}##. If ##k\geq 3##, then I know how many numbers less than ##k## are coprime with ##k## (Euler's totient function), however, in this case I would need the numbers greater than ##k## which are not divisible by ##k##. I don't know how to count them. I couldn't think of anything else, any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mahler1 said:

Homework Statement

Suppose one extracts a ball from a box containing ##n## numbered balls from ##1## to ##n##. For each ##1 \geq k \geq n##, we define ##A_k=\{\text{the number of the chosen ball is divisible by k}\}.##

Find ##P(A_k)## for each natural number which divides ##n##.

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought of thinking of ##P(A_k)## as ##P(A_k)=1-P({A_k}^c)##. And ##P({A_k}^c)=\{\text{the number of the chosen ball is not divisible by k}\}##. If ##k\geq 3##, then I know how many numbers less than ##k## are coprime with ##k## (Euler's totient function), however, in this case I would need the numbers greater than ##k## which are not divisible by ##k##. I don't know how to count them. I couldn't think of anything else, any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

If I understand what you are saying, ##P(A_2)## is the probability of choosing an even number, while ##P(A_3)## is the probability of choosing a multiple of 3, ##P(A_4)## is the probability of choosing a multiple of 4, etc. Is that right? As it stands, there seems to be an ambiguity: ##A_2 \cap A_4 \neq \emptyset##, etc. Would that be OK?

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
If I understand what you are saying, ##P(A_2)## is the probability of choosing an even number, while ##P(A_3)## is the probability of choosing a multiple of 3, ##P(A_4)## is the probability of choosing a multiple of 4, etc. Is that right? As it stands, there seems to be an ambiguity: ##A_2 \cap A_4 \neq \emptyset##, etc. Would that be OK?

It is exactly as you've said, sorry for not making myself clear.

A number is divisible by k if it is a multiple of it ...
What is the largest m such that ##mk \leq n##?

Related to Probability problem (counting numbers which are not divisible by ##k##

What is a probability problem involving counting numbers that are not divisible by k?

A probability problem involving counting numbers that are not divisible by k is a mathematical problem that requires calculating the probability of selecting a number that is not evenly divisible by a given number k from a given set of numbers.

How do I approach solving a probability problem involving counting numbers that are not divisible by k?

To solve a probability problem involving counting numbers that are not divisible by k, you can follow these steps:

• List out all the numbers in the given set.
  • Identify which numbers are not divisible by k.
  • Calculate the total number of numbers in the set.
  • Calculate the total number of numbers that are not divisible by k.
  • Divide the number of numbers that are not divisible by k by the total number of numbers in the set to get the probability.

What is the formula for calculating the probability of selecting a number that is not divisible by k?

The formula for calculating the probability of selecting a number that is not divisible by k is:

P(not divisible by k) = n / N, where n is the number of numbers that are not divisible by k, and N is the total number of numbers in the set.

Can I use the same formula for any value of k?

Yes, the formula for calculating the probability of selecting a number that is not divisible by k can be used for any value of k. The only difference will be in the number of numbers that are not divisible by k and the total number of numbers in the set.

Are there any real-life applications of probability problems involving counting numbers that are not divisible by k?

Yes, these types of probability problems are commonly used in fields such as statistics, finance, and computer science. For example, in finance, this type of problem can help calculate the probability of selecting a stock that is not divisible by a certain price point. In computer science, it can be used to calculate the probability of selecting a password that is not divisible by a certain pattern or rule.