Probability question i dont understand

• Thread starter sneaky666
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the chances of getting a sum of at least 4 from two cards chosen from a standard 52 card deck is approximately 98.34%. The chances of the ace of spades and ace of clubs being adjacent in a shuffled deck is 2/51. The chances of the number of heads equaling the number shown on a fair die when flipping 3 coins and rolling the die is 5/36. The probability of a hand of 5 cards from a standard 52 card deck containing no pairs and no spades is unknown. The conditional probability of it snowing given that there is a traffic accident is unknown.
sneaky666

Homework Statement

1. 2 card are chosen from a standard 52 card deck, what is the chances of getting the sum of them to be at least 4?
aces = 1
face cards = 10
2. In a shuffled deck, what is the chances of ace of spades and ace of clubs to be adjacent?
3.Someone flips 3 coins and rolls a fair die, what is the chances that the number of heads will equal the number showing on the die?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Well i guess if the first card is not a ace or 2, then it desnt matter what the second card is, because then the sum of any combination will be (3+) + (1+) >= 4
so then its 44/52 chance of not getting any of the aces or 2's.
Since the ace of clubs can be anywhere, that leaves 51 cards left, so then there is a 1/51+1/51 = 2/51 chance of the ace of spades to be beside the ace of clubs.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
first off, let us think about the deck. There are 12 face cards, 4 aces, and then 4 sets of 2, 3, ..., 10

So there are:
sixteen 10s
4 1s through 9s

The best way to calculate the probability of having a sum greater than or equal to 4 is to calculate the probability of having a sum less than 4 and subtract it from 1.

Our approach will be to count how many ways you can have a sum of 2 and of 3 and then divide those two added by the total number of sums possible. Finally, we will subtract this number from 1 to arrive to the answer.

How many ways can your sum equal 2? First, I'd ask "does order matter?" Sort of. Choosing a then b is a different way to sum to (a + b) than choosing b then a. So we'll do permutations to be careful. Of all the cards, only 2 aces can add to 2. So we say the number of ways to add to 2 equals permutation(4, 2)

How many ways can your sum equal 3? Again, order matters (because the different orders represent unique paths you could've taken to arrive to that sum, so it affects your probability of arriving to that sum), so we choose the permutations. The only way to sum to 3 is have a 1 and a 2 chosen. We could choose any 1 (4 possibilities) then any 2 (another 4 possibilities) but we could also choose any 2 (4 possibilities) then any 1 (another 4 possibilities)
So the total ways to sum to 3 is 4*4*2 = 32

So we now combine it all:
-(32 + permuation(4,2))/permutation(52, 2)+1 = .9834

OK i see now, but i still need help with 2 and 3..

sneaky666 said:
OK i see now, but i still need help with 2 and 3..

well i tried to use many words and describe the method so that you could try the approach out on the next two. the answer doesn't rely on some magical intuition of probabilities and cards like you were doing earlier. Instead, if you want to know the probability of doing X then either count the ways of doing X divided by the total ways to do it or count the ways not to do X divided by the total ways to do it and subtract it from 1.

also for number 2 i am getting 2/52 and 1/1326, and i don't know which is right...

I don't understand this question.
Suppose we roll 3 fair die, what is the chances that 2 match and one is different.
i put for this
there are 216 outcomes
chance of getting a number on die1 = 6/6
chance of getting the same number as on die1 in die2 = 1/6
chance of getting a different number as die1 in die3 = 5/6
6/6 * 1/6 * 5/6 = 5/36
Is this right?

Last edited:
i figured out the previous questions

but now i need help with these
1. You are dealt 5 cards from a standard 52 card deck, what is the condition probability that the hand contains no pairs and no spades?
2. The probability of snow is 20%, and the probability of a traffic accident is 10%. Suppose further that the conditional probability of an accident, given that it snows, is 40%. What is the conditional probability that it snows, given that there is an accident?

Related to Probability question i dont understand

What is probability?

Probability is a mathematical concept that measures the likelihood of an event occurring. It is represented by a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

How do you calculate probability?

To calculate probability, you divide the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This gives you a decimal value, which can be expressed as a percentage by multiplying by 100.

What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumptions, while experimental probability is based on data collected through actual experiments or observations.

How does probability relate to statistics?

Probability is a fundamental concept in statistics, as it allows us to make predictions and draw conclusions based on data. Statistics uses probability to analyze and interpret data, and to make informed decisions.

What are some real-life applications of probability?

Probability is used in many fields, including finance, insurance, weather forecasting, and sports. It can also be applied to everyday situations, such as predicting the outcome of a coin toss or the chances of winning a lottery.