Probability Red Fish Disappears First

• Thread starter quasar987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the probability of the first species to disappear from the pond being the red kind is B/(R+B+G).
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
A pond is populated by 3 species of fish, which we will call red, blue and green. The number of fish in each species is respectively R,B and G. We remove the fish one by one at random. What is the probability that the first species to disapear from the pond is the red kind? Hint: Condisiton on the last kind to leave the pond.

Sol:

[itex]\Omega[/itex]: All the possibles ways to remove the R+B+G fishes.

[tex]\mbox{card}(\Omega)=\binom{R+B+G}{R,B,G}[/tex]

E: The red kind is removed first.

[itex]F_i[/itex]: The ith kind is removed last. (i=r,b,g)

[tex]P(E) = P(E|F_r)P(F_r)+P(E|F_b)P(F_b)+P(E|F_g)P(F_g)[/tex]

[itex]P(E|F_r)[/itex]=0 obviously.

[tex]P(F_b) = \frac{\binom{R+(B-1)+G}{R,B-1,G}}{\binom{R+B+G}{R,B,G}}=\frac{B}{R+B+G}[/tex]

[tex]P(F_g) = \frac{\binom{R+B+(G-1)}{R,B,G-1}}{\binom{R+B+G}{R,B,G}}=\frac{G}{R+B+G}[/tex]

And for P(E|F_b), I saying, "ok well, amongst all the elements of [itex]\Omega[/itex] that end in a b, #EF_b is the number of elements for which the green fish are removes last. In other words, I'm considering only case for which the blue ones are removed last, and out of those, I count how many have the green fished removed before the red ones. I am saying that this number is the product of #F_b with the probability that the green fishes are removed last in a pond of R red fishes and G green fishes, that is, G/(R+G), so in the end,

[tex]P(E|F_b)=\frac{\frac{G}{R+G}\binom{R+(B-1)+G}{R,B-1,G}}{\binom{R+B+G}{R,B,G}}=\frac{GB}{(R+G)(R+B+G)}[/tex]

verdict?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Your reasoning is correct. The probability of the red kind being removed first is indeed the sum of the probabilities of it being removed last for each of the other two species. Your calculation for P(E|F_b) is also correct. The final result is:

P(E) = P(E|F_r)P(F_r) + P(E|F_b)P(F_b) + P(E|F_g)P(F_g) = 0 + \frac{GB}{(R+G)(R+B+G)} + \frac{B}{R+B+G} = \frac{B(R+G)}{(R+G)(R+B+G)} = \frac{B}{R+B+G}

FAQ: Probability Red Fish Disappears First

What is "Probability Red Fish Disappears First"?

"Probability Red Fish Disappears First" is a concept used in probability and statistics to describe the likelihood that a specific event, in this case the red fish disappearing first, will occur in a given situation.

Why is it important to understand probability?

Understanding probability allows us to make informed decisions and predictions based on the likelihood of certain events occurring. It is also an important tool in analyzing data and drawing conclusions in various fields such as science, economics, and psychology.

How is probability calculated?

Probability is calculated by dividing the number of desired outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This can be expressed as a fraction, decimal, or percentage.

What factors can affect the probability of the red fish disappearing first?

The probability of the red fish disappearing first can be affected by various factors such as the size of the fish tank, the number of fish in the tank, the behavior and characteristics of the red fish compared to the other fish, and any external variables that may impact the tank environment.

Can probability be used to predict the future?

While probability allows us to make predictions based on the likelihood of events occurring, it is not a guarantee of what will happen in the future. Probability is based on chance and can be influenced by many variables, making it a useful tool for making informed decisions but not a definitive predictor of the future.