Probability that two measurements have the same true value

In summary: If the data for ##\Delta x## and ##\Delta y## are "separate", you can perform an "approximate" t-test (as shown in the link), but if the ##\Delta x## and ##\Delta y## are linked as measured pairs ##(\Delta x, \Delta y)## you can perform a "paired-sample" t-test without making any approximations. This is also done in the link. The paired-sample test is more reliable.
Daniel Sellers

Homework Statement

I am in a lab course studying Brownian motion. I have gathered data for for movement in two dimensions.
I currently have a fairly large data set for ∆x and ∆y and have taken the mean and standard deviation of each.

The lab asks what is the probability that these two sets of measurements correspond to the same 'actual value'?

Homework Equations

We have been introduced to gaussian probability functions, but I'm not sure how to apply them to find a probability in this way.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to apply numerical solutions to the above mentioned equations but I keep getting confused. Do I need to find the difference between the mean values and compare them to the standard deviation somehow? Could use a solid starting place.

Physics news on Phys.org
You cannot find such a probability with your dataset. You can only find a likelihood: "If the true values are the same, how likely am I to observe a deviation as large or larger than I saw?" That's something you can calculate with the means and standard deviations you have. If that probability is high, then it can indicate that the two true values could be identical. If it is small, they are probably not identical.

Daniel Sellers said:

Homework Statement

I am in a lab course studying Brownian motion. I have gathered data for for movement in two dimensions.
I currently have a fairly large data set for ∆x and ∆y and have taken the mean and standard deviation of each.

The lab asks what is the probability that these two sets of measurements correspond to the same 'actual value'?

Homework Equations

We have been introduced to gaussian probability functions, but I'm not sure how to apply them to find a probability in this way.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to apply numerical solutions to the above mentioned equations but I keep getting confused. Do I need to find the difference between the mean values and compare them to the standard deviation somehow? Could use a solid starting place.

Are the successive values of ##\Delta x## and ##\Delta y## independent? Are the ##\Delta x## and ##\Delta y## independent of each other? Are the values of ##\Delta x## and ##\Delta y## normally-distributed? If the answer to ALL of these questions is yes, then you can proceed using standard statistical techniques, and if you give some more details we can perhaps supply a few more hints or website links.

The values should be independent, the histograms I made seem to show a normal distribution.
As for details, I have pretty much given them. I have a set of about 150 of each, their mean and standard deviation.
mfb said:
You cannot find such a probability with your dataset. You can only find a likelihood: "If the true values are the same, how likely am I to observe a deviation as large or larger than I saw?" That's something you can calculate with the means and standard deviations you have. If that probability is high, then it can indicate that the two true values could be identical. If it is small, they are probably not identical.

That's encouraging. What process might I use to state that probability? Do I need to add the probabilities that the expected value is within one standard deviation of each mean? Or compare the total discrepancy between the mean values to their deviations?

Clearly, statistics is not my strong suit. Thanks for your replies.

Compare the observed difference to the distribution of the difference (for the same true mean value = 0 difference).

Daniel Sellers said:
The values should be independent, the histograms I made seem to show a normal distribution.
As for details, I have pretty much given them. I have a set of about 150 of each, their mean and standard deviation.That's encouraging. What process might I use to state that probability? Do I need to add the probabilities that the expected value is within one standard deviation of each mean? Or compare the total discrepancy between the mean values to their deviations?

Clearly, statistics is not my strong suit. Thanks for your replies.

See http://www.milefoot.com/math/stat/ht-means.htm
It has all the formulas you need, plus an example exactly like yours, worked out in detail.

If the data for ##\Delta x## and ##\Delta y## are "separate", you can perform an "approximate" t-test (as shown in the link), but if the ##\Delta x## and ##\Delta y## are linked as measured pairs ##(\Delta x, \Delta y)## you can perform a "paired-sample" t-test without making any approximations. This is also done in the link. The paired-sample test is more reliable.

Last edited:

Related to Probability that two measurements have the same true value

1. What is the concept of "probability that two measurements have the same true value"?

The concept refers to the likelihood that two measurements of the same quantity, taken by different instruments or methods, will yield identical results.

2. How is the probability of two measurements having the same true value calculated?

The probability is calculated by dividing the number of times two measurements have the same value by the total number of measurements taken. This can also be expressed as a percentage.

3. What factors can affect the probability of two measurements having the same true value?

The precision and accuracy of the instruments used, the consistency of the measurement technique, and the presence of external factors such as environmental conditions can all affect the probability of two measurements having the same true value.

4. What does a high probability of two measurements having the same true value indicate?

A high probability indicates that the two measurements are very close to each other and can be considered reliable and consistent.

5. Can the probability of two measurements having the same true value be 100%?

In theory, the probability can be 100% if the measurements are taken by identical instruments, in the same conditions, and with perfect precision and accuracy. However, in practice, it is unlikely to have a probability of 100% due to the limitations of measurement tools and techniques.