[probability theory] prove E(X|X) = X

In summary: Thanks for the input.In summary, the author is trying to solve a problem and is unsure how to do it. The author states that for continuous random variables, E(Xh(Y)|Y) = h(Y) E(X|Y). The equality seems obvious enough, but they are unsure how to actually prove it.
nonequilibrium

Homework Statement

Well, not really, but in essence that's the part I'm having trouble with. The actual question is
Show that for continuous random variables, [itex]E(Xh(Y)|Y) = h(Y) E(X|Y)[/itex].
The equality seems obvious enough, but I'm unsure how to actually prove it...

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

So it seems I have to prove that [itex]P( \{ E(Xh(Y)|Y) = h(Y) E(X|Y) \} ) = 1[/itex].

Can anybody tell me how they would start?

I shall say how I would proceed if pressed:

As I see it, E(Xh(Y)|Y) is actually a function with possible values [itex]E(X h(Y) | Y = y_0)[/itex] and we can write [itex]E(X h(Y) | Y = y_0) = \iint x h(y) f_{X,Y|Y=y_0}(x,y) \mathrm d x \mathrm d x[/itex] and since [itex]f_{X,Y|Y=y_0}(x,y) = f_{X|Y=y_0} \delta(y-y_0)[/itex] (or perhaps this needs to be proven too?) we get [itex]E(X h(Y) | Y = y_0) = h(y_0) \int x f_{X|Y=y_0}(x) \mathrm d x = h(y_0) E(X|Y) [/itex] and hence E(Xh(Y)|Y) is the same random variable as h(Y) E(X|Y).

Is this acceptable?

Physics news on Phys.org
looks like you're on the right track, but careful as you're mixing notation a little

also an expectation is NOT a random variableAs X=x_0 the conditional probability distribution of X becomes a delta function
[tex] p_{X}(x|X=x_0)=\delta(x-x_0) [/tex]

Also you can write the joint distribution on terms of a single PDF and a conditional PDF
[tex] p_{X,Y}(x,y)=p_{Y}(y|X=x)p_X(x) [/tex]

and the conditional case becomes
[tex] p_{X,Y}(x,y|X=x_0)=p_{Y}(y|X=x_0)p_X(x|X=x_0) [/tex]

Thanks for posting. I'm not sure what you are getting at in your post; is it for proving the delta-distribution equality? (in which case I get what you're saying and how it helps)

And as for:
also an expectation is NOT a random variable
I say I must disagree. E(X h(Y)|Y) is certainly a random variable, or at least that is what is meant but perhaps the book's notation is confusing and you're accustomed to writing it a different way. It means with this the random variable [itex]y_0 \mapsto E(X h(Y) | Y = y_0)[/itex]. It is like how E(X|Y) is also called a random variable, after all otherwise the fundamental equality E(E(X|Y))=E(X) could have no meaning.

ok, yeah I think I get what you mean around E(X|Y), missed in the first and don't think I have dealt with these a heap. So the way I read it, effectively E(X|Y) = f(Y), the value will be dependent on the distribution of X, but the stochastic element comes form the variable Y. re-reading I see yo urpetty much had the delta part pegged, but that should back it up.

wouldn't it just be sufficent to show that
[tex]E(Xh(Y)|Y=y_0)= h(Y=y_0)E(X|Y=y_0), \ \forall y_0 [/tex]

this seems to be the direction you've headed in so far and seems acceptable

otherwise do you have a different definition for E(X|Y) to start from?

Last edited:
so yeah i think what you have done is reasonable if you show the integration steps

lanedance said:
looks like you're on the right track, but careful as you're mixing notation a little

also an expectation is NOT a random variable

As X=x_0 the conditional probability distribution of X becomes a delta function
[tex] p_{X}(x|X=x_0)=\delta(x-x_0) [/tex]

Also you can write the joint distribution on terms of a single PDF and a conditional PDF
[tex] p_{X,Y}(x,y)=p_{Y}(y|X=x)p_X(x) [/tex]

and the conditional case becomes
[tex] p_{X,Y}(x,y|X=x_0)=p_{Y}(y|X=x_0)p_X(x|X=x_0) [/tex]

A conditional expectation such as E(X|Y) _is_ a random variable, whose value on the event {Y = y} is E(X|Y = y). (Such matters typically do not occur in Probability 101, but do appear very much in senior or graduate level probability.)

RGV

yeah its been a while... but we got there

Related to [probability theory] prove E(X|X) = X

1. What is the meaning of E(X|X) in probability theory?

E(X|X) is the conditional expectation of a random variable X given that X has already occurred. It represents the expected value of X when we already know the value of X.

2. How is E(X|X) calculated?

The formula for calculating E(X|X) is E(X|X) = ∑x P(X=x | X=x) * x, where x represents all possible values of X and P(X=x | X=x) represents the conditional probability of X=x given that X=x.

3. Can you provide an example of calculating E(X|X)?

Suppose we have a fair six-sided die and we want to find E(X|X), where X represents the number rolled. We know that X can only take values 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6. So, the formula becomes E(X|X) = (1/6)*1 + (1/6)*2 + (1/6)*3 + (1/6)*4 + (1/6)*5 + (1/6)*6 = 3.5. This means that if we already know the number rolled on the die, the expected value of the number will still be 3.5.

4. Why is E(X|X) equal to X?

This is known as the law of iterated expectations, and it states that the expected value of the conditional expectation of a random variable is equal to the original random variable. In other words, knowing the expected value of X given X has already occurred does not change the expected value of X itself.

5. What is the significance of E(X|X) in probability theory?

E(X|X) is an important concept in probability theory as it allows us to calculate the expected value of a random variable based on partial information. It also has many applications in statistics and decision-making, such as in Bayesian analysis and predictive modeling.