Probability Theory Q&A: Rolling 5 Dice to Find Probability of 2 Different Values

In summary, the conversation was about finding the probability of getting two different values when rolling five distinguishable dice. The formula used was (6 x 5 x 4)/2 x (5), which resulted in a probability of 0.23148. The reason for dividing by two is to account for double-counting the same combination due to the ordering of the dice not mattering.
rad0786
Hello, I have two questions regarding probaility, i was hoping some body can help me out.
I know that this is a "Physics Forum" However, i thought somebody might still beable to help :)

When rolling 5 distinuishable dice, find the probability that there are two different values?

I did this by (6 x 5 x 4)/2 x ( 5 ) = 1800
(2 2 1)

and the probability is 1800/(6^5) = 0.23148

Now, I am wondering WHY do you divide the (6 x 5 x 4) by 2?

---------------

Physics news on Phys.org
The reason why you divide the (6 x 5 x 4) by 2 is because you are counting each possible combination twice. For example, if you rolled a 1, 2, 3, 2, and 1, then you have two different values (1 and 2). However, this would be counted twice in your calculation since the ordering of the dice does not matter. Therefore, you must divide by two to avoid double-counting the same combination.

Hello,

Thank you for your question. In probability theory, the formula for finding the probability of an event is P(E) = (# of favorable outcomes) / (# of total outcomes). In this case, the favorable outcomes are when there are two different values on the 5 dice, and the total outcomes are all the possible combinations of the 5 dice, which is 6^5 = 7776.

In order to find the number of favorable outcomes, we need to consider all the possible combinations of the two different values on the 5 dice. This can be done by first choosing the two values (6 x 5 = 30 possible combinations) and then arranging them on the 5 dice (5 ways to arrange 2 values = 5). However, this method will result in double counting some combinations, as the order of the two values does not matter. For example, rolling a 1 and then a 2 is the same as rolling a 2 and then a 1.

To account for this double counting, we divide the total number of arrangements by the number of ways the two values can be ordered, which is 2 (because there are two values). This is why we divide by 2 in the formula (6 x 5 x 4)/2.

I hope this explanation helps you understand why we divide by 2 in this situation. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

FAQ: Probability Theory Q&A: Rolling 5 Dice to Find Probability of 2 Different Values

1. What is probability theory?

Probability theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of random events and their likelihood of occurrence. It involves using mathematical tools and models to analyze and predict the outcomes of uncertain events.

2. How is probability calculated when rolling 5 dice to find the probability of 2 different values?

The probability of rolling 5 dice and getting 2 different values can be calculated by first determining the total number of possible outcomes, which is 6^5 (since each dice has 6 possible outcomes). Then, we calculate the number of ways to get 2 different values by choosing 2 out of 6 values, and arranging them in 5 positions. This can be represented as 6C2 * 2P2 * 4P3. The final probability is then calculated by dividing the number of ways to get 2 different values by the total number of possible outcomes.

3. Can the probability of rolling 2 different values with 5 dice be higher than 50%?

Yes, the probability of rolling 2 different values with 5 dice can be higher than 50%. In fact, the probability can be as high as 83.33%, which occurs when the 2 different values are repeated 3 times each and the remaining 3 dice have the same value. The probability can also be lower depending on the specific combination of values.

4. How does the probability change if we increase the number of dice rolled?

The probability of rolling 2 different values with 5 dice will decrease as we increase the number of dice rolled. This is because the total number of possible outcomes will increase, making it less likely to get a specific combination of values. However, the exact change in probability will depend on the number of dice rolled and the specific values chosen.

5. Why is probability theory important in scientific research?

Probability theory is important in scientific research because it allows us to make predictions and draw conclusions based on uncertain outcomes. Many scientific experiments involve random events, and probability theory helps us understand and analyze these events. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as statistics, economics, and engineering.