Probability using a deck o' cards

In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of drawing all four aces before any of the tens in a shuffled deck of cards. The problem involves without replacement and the initial probability of drawing an ace is 4/52. The conversation also mentions a similar problem involving the binomial theorem and finding the probability of drawing five red cards without replacement. A suggestion is given to consider a deck with only 8 cards, 4 aces and 4 tens.
satchmo05

Homework Statement

A deck of cards is shuffled and the cards are turned up one at a time. What is the probability that all the aces will appear before any of the tens?

Homework Equations

No equations that I know of are useful here...

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem is one that deals without replacement due to the unspoken assumption. Ergo, the initial probability of drawing an ace off the top of the deck is 4/52. I am not sure where to go from here. I have a similar problem concerning drawing 10 cards and finding the probability of drawing five red cards without replacement. This example uses the binomial theorem, but I am having a hard time using that theorem here...

Any helpful suggestions? Thanks for your time and help in advance! Much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do the other cards in the deck really matter? Suppose there are just 8 cards, 4 aces and 4 tens?

FAQ: Probability using a deck o' cards

1. What is the probability of drawing a specific card from a deck?

The probability of drawing a specific card from a deck of 52 cards is 1/52, or approximately 1.92%. This is because there is only one specific card out of 52 cards in the deck.

2. What is the probability of drawing a card of a certain suit?

The probability of drawing a card of a certain suit (clubs, diamonds, hearts, or spades) from a deck of 52 cards is 1/4, or 25%. This is because there are 13 cards of each suit in a deck of cards.

3. What is the probability of drawing a face card (jack, queen, king) from a deck?

The probability of drawing a face card from a deck of 52 cards is 12/52, or approximately 23.08%. This is because there are 12 face cards (4 jacks, 4 queens, and 4 kings) in a deck of cards.

4. What is the probability of drawing a red card from a deck?

The probability of drawing a red card from a deck of 52 cards is 26/52, or 50%. This is because there are 26 red cards (13 hearts and 13 diamonds) in a deck of cards.

5. What is the probability of drawing a pair of cards with the same number or face value?

The probability of drawing a pair of cards with the same number or face value (e.g. two 5s or two queens) from a deck of 52 cards is 3/51, or approximately 5.88%. This is because there are 3 other cards with the same number or face value as the first card drawn, and 51 total cards left in the deck after the first card is drawn.

Back