Probabilty of one tail followed by three heads with a biased coin

• Thread starter battery88
  • Start date
In summary, the probability of getting exactly four heads when flipping a biased coin with a 2/3 probability of heads seven times is calculated by using the formula C(7,4)(2/3)^4(1/3)^3. If asked to find the probability of one tail followed by three heads, the calculation would be the same since each toss is independent. However, if the 1T3H sequence is out of a different number of tosses, the calculation would need to be adjusted accordingly.
battery88

Homework Statement

A coin is biased so that the probability of heads is 2/3. What is the probability that exactly four heads come up when the coin is flipped seven times, assuming that the flips are independent?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

C(7,4)(2/3)^4(1/3)^3 = (35*16)/3^7 = 560/2187

Now, I know this answer is correct, but what if we were asked to find probability of exactly one tail followed by three heads rather than exactly four heads: How would I calculate the answer for that?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
battery88 said:

Homework Statement

A coin is biased so that the probability of heads is 2/3. What is the probability that exactly four heads come up when the coin is flipped seven times, assuming that the flips are independent?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

C(7,4)(2/3)^4(1/3)^3 = (35*16)/3^7 = 560/2187

Now, I know this answer is correct, but what if we were asked to find probability of exactly one tail followed by three heads rather than exactly four heads: How would I calculate the answer for that?

Thank you.

How would you calculate the probability of getting T on toss 1? If your first toss is T, does that affect the probability that the next three tosses all give H?

No, it doesn't since each toss is independent. So, it would be calculated the same way?

battery88 said:
The four heads were out of 7 tosses. Are your 1T3H out of just four tosses? If not, what do you mean?

haruspex said:
The four heads were out of 7 tosses. Are your 1T3H out of just four tosses? If not, what do you mean?

I believe he was referencing another problem he posted on PF. But yeah, I assume that THHH would be out of four tosses; obviously any later ones would be superfluous.

FAQ: Probabilty of one tail followed by three heads with a biased coin

1. What is the probability of getting one tail followed by three heads with a biased coin?

The probability of getting one tail followed by three heads with a biased coin depends on the bias of the coin. If the coin is biased towards heads, the probability will be higher than if the coin is unbiased. To calculate the exact probability, we would need to know the specific bias of the coin.

2. Can a biased coin still produce one tail followed by three heads?

Yes, a biased coin can still produce one tail followed by three heads. The bias of the coin only affects the likelihood of certain outcomes, but it does not guarantee or prevent any specific sequence of outcomes.

3. How does the probability change if the coin is flipped multiple times?

The probability of getting one tail followed by three heads with a biased coin will change with each flip. Each flip of the coin is an independent event, so the probability of getting one tail followed by three heads will remain the same for each individual flip. However, the overall probability of getting this sequence within a certain number of flips will increase with each flip.

4. Is it possible to have a probability of 0 for this sequence with a biased coin?

Yes, it is possible to have a probability of 0 for this sequence with a biased coin. This would occur if the bias of the coin is extremely strong towards one side, such as always landing on heads. In this case, the probability of getting one tail followed by three heads would be 0.

5. Can we use the probability of this sequence to determine the bias of the coin?

No, we cannot use the probability of this sequence to determine the bias of the coin. The probability only tells us the likelihood of getting this specific sequence, but it does not provide any information about the actual bias of the coin. To determine the bias, we would need to conduct a larger number of trials and analyze the overall outcomes.

Back