Problem books of applications of calculus 1

In summary: This book has a lot of nice problems but not sure if they are the kind you are looking for...If you want calculus based books, Gasiorowicz or Serway are the usual freshman texts. Look for any book that has in its title "Physics for scientists and engineers" and you will get that. Also, get 3000 solved problems in Physics from Schaums.
Akitirija
Hi there, everyone!

I'm sure this question has been asked many times before, but I did not really find any similar posts, so I hope you guys will bear with me!

I am teaching myself what could be categorized as Calculus 1, using Adams' "Calculus: A Complete Course" along with "Schaum's 3000 Solved Problems in Calculus" and The Great Courses' "Understanding Calculus - Problems, Solutions, And Tips".

I am beginning to become very passionate about mathematics, although I want to study engineering. I am really, really missing a "book of problems" of calculus 1 with applications for engineers, and I wondered if you had any suggestions? They should include answers (and preferably solutions).

For me, the greatest motivation in mathematics are challenging, but still-possible-to-solve, problems, and I find mathematics to be highly interesting when I can apply what I learn.

I would really, really appreciate your input here!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Look for an elementary text on statics (calculus based) and work through the problems. Schaums has many such books with worked problems.
Any calc based physics text would be fount of problems.

Likes 1 person
Thank your for the answer, Quantum Braket. I was not being very clear in my question. I was thinking more about a book that follows to some extent the curriculum of Calculus 1. For example, first chapter consisting of limit problems that can be applied in "real life".

A physics text would also be very interesting, do you have any suggestions for a "novice"?

If you want calculus based books, Gasiorowicz or Serway are the usual freshman texts. Look for any book that has in its title "Physics for scientists and engineers" and you will get that. Also, get 3000 solved problems in Physics from Schaums.
The Schaums breaks things down into Algebra based and Calculus based problems.

Note that calculus is the language of physics, invented for physics by a physicist. =)
It is the most natural expression of physics. If you can do derivatives and simple integrals you can do most of a freshman physics text.

Online resources are at Khan Academy, which is very nice for the basics of calculus and physics.

Good luck!

Thank you very much, Quantum Braket! I will check out 3000 solved problems in Physics, it sounds like just the book I am looking for.

I'll recommend my book, Mathematical Modeling and Computational Calculus, you can check out a synopsis at

www.berkeleyscience.com/mmcc.htm

There are 3 problems with every other calculus book :), ..
1. too difficult
2. too abstract
3. you can't solve any problems with what you learn

All these problems are because analytic calculus is difficult, abstract, and you can do very little with it until very late in the game ... using the Laplace transform, etc. Even then its usually impossible to solve a problem analytically. Example - Newton developed calculus to solve the differential equation r'' = C/(r*r), which characterizes the trajectory of a falling object. You won't be able to solve it analytically no matter how many courses you take as no analytic solution exists.

Now problems are solved using what I call computational calculus and what your textbook calls numeric methods for solving differential equations. The mathematicians can make it difficult, but in its simplest form it amounts to repeated application of the formula distance = velocity times time, i.e. it is trivially easy, and you can do all sorts of interesting projects, as described in MMCC I. For example you can compute solutions to r'' = C/(r*r) no problem to calculate satellite orbits, rocket trajectories, etc. From my experience (engineer for 20 years) this is the way it's done in the real world.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Thank you for your suggestion, Flannery! I especially like the CWT Crying Towel :)

Unfortunately, after having leafed through some analytical calculus books, I have to agree with you about their problems being "unsolvable", at least for me.

Akitirija said:
Thank your for the answer, Quantum Braket. I was not being very clear in my question. I was thinking more about a book that follows to some extent the curriculum of Calculus 1. For example, first chapter consisting of limit problems that can be applied in "real life".

A physics text would also be very interesting, do you have any suggestions for a "novice"?
This book has a lot of nice problems but not sure if they are the kind you are looking for...

The Humongous Book of Calculus Problems - Kelley
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1592575129/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Problem books of applications of calculus 1

What is a "Problem book of applications of calculus 1"?

A "Problem book of applications of calculus 1" is a collection of practice problems and exercises that focus on applying the principles and techniques of calculus to real-world scenarios. It is designed to help students develop their problem-solving skills and improve their understanding of calculus concepts.

Who can benefit from using a "Problem book of applications of calculus 1"?

Any student who is studying calculus 1 or has a basic understanding of calculus can benefit from using a "Problem book of applications of calculus 1". It can also be helpful for students preparing for exams or looking to improve their calculus skills.

What types of problems can be found in a "Problem book of applications of calculus 1"?

A "Problem book of applications of calculus 1" may contain a variety of problems, such as optimization problems, related rates problems, area and volume problems, and curve sketching problems. These problems are typically based on real-world applications and require the use of calculus concepts and techniques to solve them.

How can using a "Problem book of applications of calculus 1" improve my understanding of calculus?

By working through the problems in a "Problem book of applications of calculus 1", students can gain a deeper understanding of calculus concepts and how they can be applied to solve real-world problems. It can also help students develop their critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

Are there any additional resources that can be used in conjunction with a "Problem book of applications of calculus 1"?

Yes, students can also benefit from using textbooks, online resources, and seeking help from teachers or tutors to supplement their learning from a "Problem book of applications of calculus 1". It is also important to practice regularly and actively engage in solving problems rather than just reading through them passively.