Problem dealing with Position and Velocity

In summary, the elevator moves at a uniform speed for the first 1.8 seconds, but it then changes speed and starts moving faster than the average speed.
mathwhiz

Homework Statement

You are consulting for an elevator company. During a safety test, technicians created the following graph of the velocity of the elevator versus time; you have been asked to interpret the graph. Unfortunately, you are told that the technician who printed the graph has made two mistakes. The labeled interval on the velocity axis should be 2.5 m/s rather than 2.0 m/s, and the labeled time interval should be 3.6 s rather than 4.0 s. You should begin by redrawing the graph on your own paper with the proper labels on the velocity and time axes.

Since this motion is purely one-dimensional, give your answers to the following questions using a coordinate system consisting of a y-axis in the Up-Down direction with Up as positive. Indicate directions by the appropriate plus or minus sign. Assume that the test begins (at time zero) with the elevator at position y0=-3.2 m (i.e. 3.2 meters below ground level -- ground level has been selected as the location at which y=0).

(a) What is the position of the elevator at time 1.8 seconds?
(b) What is the position of the elevator at time 7.2 seconds?

Homework Equations

##X_f = x_0 + V_x(ΔT)##

Maybe ##v = d/ΔT##

##v_x = Δx/Δt##

The Attempt at a Solution

Attempt 1:

Just plug everything in, ##v_x = v_xavg = v## so ##v_x = 1.389 m/s##
##x_f = -3.2m + 1.389m/s(1.8s)##
## x_f = -0.7m## WRONG!

Attempt 2:

Tried to multiply by the velocity at time 1.8s according to my redrawn graph, which was 2.5
##x_f = -3.2m + 2.5m/s * 1.8s##
##x_f = 1.3m## WRONG ONCE AGAIN!

Attempt 3:

Tried to plug my numbers into a similar problem someone asked about on this forum
##v_x = -3.2 + (2.5/1.8) * 1.8## I don't even know but it was wrong again.
I just would like some guidance on what I need to be looking at because obviously my way is wrong.
I'm going to attach the original graph, and my redrawn graph.

Attachments

• graph.gif
    graph.gif
    5.5 KB · Views: 605
  • work.jpg
    work.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 447
Physics news on Phys.org
How can you describe the motion in the first 1.8 seconds? Is it uniform? Or uniformly accelerated? Something else? How do you find displacement for this kind of motion? How do you find displacement if you are given the graph of velocity vs time in general?

The motion in the first 1.8 seconds is uniform. So I know from there that velocity = average velocity which in turn equals the speed. As far as displacement it will be the distance from 0 secs to 1.8 seconds

##Δx = \sqrt{(1.8)^2 +(2.5)^2}##
##Δx = 3.08m##

so should I just do
##x_f=-3.21 + 3.08##
##= -0.13 ##

If velocity = average velocity, then velocity must not change. However, it is seen from the graph that it does change during the first 1.8 seconds.

Of course, I have to remember a slope like that means constant if it were a position vs time graph which this is not. This is obviously velocity vs time.
##V_x @ 1.8s = 2.5 m/s##
so why can't I just plug it into ##x_f = x_i+v_x*Δt## and get the correct number.

Now, I think I need to find ##V_avg## multiply that by ##Δt## then add whatever number I get to the original starting point of the elevator at -3.2m.

so my formula would look something like:

and I believe that is the exact formula I saw on the previous post

##X_f = -3.2 + (2.5/1.8) * 1.8##

Ahhhh no that's not right I tried that on attempt 1 already :cry:

Mathwiz...since the graph between time t=0 and t=1.8 is a straight line ,it means the object is having uniform acceleration .You can find the acceleration by taking any two points on the line and using a=Δv/Δt .

Then since the acceleration is constant , y = y0+v0t+(1/2)at2.

FAQ: Problem dealing with Position and Velocity

What is the difference between position and velocity?

Position refers to the location of an object in space, while velocity refers to the rate of change of an object's position over time. In other words, position tells you where an object is located, while velocity tells you how fast and in what direction the object is moving.

How do you calculate position and velocity?

To calculate position, you need to know the initial position and the distance moved. This can be calculated using the formula: final position = initial position + distance moved. Velocity, on the other hand, is calculated by dividing the change in position by the change in time: velocity = (final position - initial position) / time.

What are some common problems encountered when dealing with position and velocity?

Some common problems that may arise when dealing with position and velocity include incorrect units, incorrect or missing data, and difficulty visualizing the motion of an object. It is important to double check units and data to ensure accurate calculations, and using graphs or diagrams can help with visualizing motion.

How is acceleration related to position and velocity?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is related to position and velocity because changes in position or velocity can result in acceleration. For example, if an object's velocity changes, it will experience acceleration. Similarly, if an object's position changes, it may also experience acceleration.

What are some real-world applications of understanding position and velocity?

Understanding position and velocity has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. It is used to design and control machinery, predict the motion of celestial bodies, and analyze the movement of objects in sports and transportation. It is also important in understanding and predicting natural phenomena, such as earthquakes and weather patterns.

Back