Problem from Electric Forces: Coulomb's Law section

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with calculating the initial charge on a neutral metal sphere B after it is brought into contact with an identical metal sphere A. The conversation also mentions using Coulomb's law and finding the force of gravity for sphere A. A formula is given for the force between two point charges placed at a distance d in two different mediums with dielectric constants k1 and k2. The conversation also suggests getting a different textbook for better explanations.
simplicity12
Hello,
I'm having problems with the following question:
Neutral metal sphere A, of mass 0.10 kg, hangs from an insulating wire 2.0 m long. An identical metal sphere B, with charge -q, is brought into contact with sphere A. The spheres repel and settle as shown. Calculate the initial Charge on B.

|\ <--- The angle inside the triangle is 12 degrees.
||\
||| \
|||| \
||||| \
|90'|| \
B----- A

The formula for Coulomb's law is F(e)= (kq1q2)/r^2, where k is a constant of 9.0 X 10^9 Nm^2/C^2

I tried finding the force of gravity for A, using Fg=mg, and i ended up getting 0.98 N (down). Using, tan, I found the force between BA to be 0.2083 N, and i assumed that this is the F(e). I used sin to find the distance (separation) between BA, and i got 0.4158 m. I plugged this information into Coulomb's formula and i got q= 2.0 X 10^-6 C, which is wrong. Please tell me what I did wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Err... I didnt really follow you, but the charge will get transferred equally among both the spheres. So, A will have -q/2 and B will have -q/2. F=[kq^2]/[4r^2]. That should help you out.

hmm.. i got the right answer with the formula that you gave me... but i don't understand why the charges are halved.

You have the stupid Nelson book that doesn't give an explanation right?
I recommend you to get the David Halliday and Resnick Textbook. I could give you the ISBN if you want it. I could also assume that you're in Ontario somewhere, because they system there is messed up for education. In the chapter it doesn't even explain that problem. I don't understand this question either. How did you get that formula?

simplicity12 said:
Hello,
I'm having problems with the following question:
Neutral metal sphere A, of mass 0.10 kg, hangs from an insulating wire 2.0 m long. An identical metal sphere B, with charge -q, is brought into contact with sphere A. The spheres repel and settle as shown. Calculate the initial Charge on B.

|\ <--- The angle inside the triangle is 12 degrees.
||\
||| \
|||| \
||||| \
|90'|| \
B----- A

The formula for Coulomb's law is F(e)= (kq1q2)/r^2, where k is a constant of 9.0 X 10^9 Nm^2/C^2

I tried finding the force of gravity for A, using Fg=mg, and i ended up getting 0.98 N (down). Using, tan, I found the force between BA to be 0.2083 N, and i assumed that this is the F(e). I used sin to find the distance (separation) between BA, and i got 0.4158 m. I plugged this information into Coulomb's formula and i got q= 2.0 X 10^-6 C, which is wrong. Please tell me what I did wrong.
hello can anybody tell me ....there are two point charges placed at d distance and there are two diffrent mediums filled between the space one above the other. the lengh of each medium each also d.dielectric constant of mediums is k1 and k2 .what is the force between the forces.

hello
i have the problem ...there are two point charges placed at d distance .the space between them is fillid with two different mediums of dielectric constants k1 and k2.one medium is filled up to d1 distance and other medium up to d2 distance .d1+d2=d.what is the force acting between the two charges?

what is the force acting between the charges.if distance between charges is d.and two different mediums are filled between the chages.as shown in figure.k1 and k2 are dielectric constant of two mediums.

the figure for above question is as ...

Related to Problem from Electric Forces: Coulomb's Law section

1. What is Coulomb's Law and what does it describe?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the relationship between electric charges and the forces they exert on each other. It states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How is Coulomb's Law different from Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation?

Coulomb's Law deals with electric forces between charged particles, while Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation deals with the gravitational forces between massive objects. Coulomb's Law also involves the concept of electric charges, while Newton's Law involves the concept of mass.

3. What is an electric field and how does it relate to Coulomb's Law?

An electric field is a region in space where an electric charge experiences a force. Coulomb's Law can be used to calculate the strength of the electric field at a specific point due to a single charge or a group of charges.

4. How is Coulomb's Law used in everyday life?

Coulomb's Law is used in various technologies, such as electronic devices, power generators, and electric motors. It is also used in the study of atoms and molecules, as well as in medical imaging techniques like MRI.

5. What are some limitations of Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law assumes that charges are stationary and do not move, which is not always the case in real life. It also does not take into account the effects of special relativity, which may be relevant when dealing with extremely high speeds. Additionally, it only applies to point charges and becomes less accurate at very small distances and very large charges.