Problem in Logic - Hilbert Systems

In summary: Universal Instantiation applied to 4}\\ \phi[x|m]\rightarrow\forall y((y=m)\rightarrow\phi[x|y]) & \text{6. Deduction Theorem applied to 1 and 5} \end{align*}In summary, we have proven the statement in your homework using Axiom Schema 6 and Universal Instantiation. I hope this helps and feel free to ask for further clarification if needed. Good luck with your studies!Best regards,Expert Summarizer
andrewkirk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

In a Hilbert System, prove:
[tex]\phi[x|m] \rightarrow\forall y((y=m)\rightarrow\phi[x|y])[/tex]
where [itex]\phi[/itex] is a formula, [itex]y, x[/itex] are variables and [itex]m[/itex] is a constant.
[itex]\phi[a|b][/itex] denotes the formula obtained by substituting [itex]b[/itex] for [itex]a[/itex] in [itex]\phi[/itex]
This problem crops up in my attempting to prove Godel's diagonal lemma (aka 'Fixed Point Theorem').

Homework Equations

The axioms of a Hilbert system are standard, as set out in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilbert_system

The Attempt at a Solution

\begin{align}
\phi[x|m]\ \ \ \ \ \ \text{1. Hypothesis}\\
y=m\ \ \ \ \ \ \text{2. Hypothesis}\\
(y=m)\rightarrow(\phi[x|m]\rightarrow\phi[x|y))\ \ \ \ \ \ \text{3. Axiom Schema 6 (substitution of equal variables)}\\
\phi[x|m]\rightarrow\phi[x|y]))\ \ \ \ \ \ \text{4. Modus Ponens applied to 2 and 3}\\
\phi[x|y]\ \ \ \ \ \ \text{5. Modus Ponens applied to 1 and 4}\\
(y=m)\rightarrow\phi[x|y]\ \ \ \ \ \ \text{6. Deduction Theorem applied to 2 and 5)}\\
\phi[x|m]\rightarrow((y=m)\rightarrow\phi[x|y])\ \ \ \ \ \ \text{7. Deduction Theorem applied to 1 and 6)}\\
\end{align}
This is almost what's required, except it's missing the universal quantifier [itex]\forall y[/itex] and I can't use Axiom Schema 4 of Generalisation to add it because y is free in this formula.
I tried a different approach that gave me the quantifier where I needed it, but it didn't have the right form.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

PS the equations are horribly aligned. Any suggestions about how to better align them in TeX would be appreciated too.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for bringing this interesting problem to our attention. I am happy to help you with your proof.

Firstly, I would like to address your approach using Modus Ponens and the Deduction Theorem. While this is a valid approach, as you have correctly identified, it does not result in the desired form of the formula with the universal quantifier. This is because, as you mentioned, y is a free variable in the formula and thus cannot be generalized using Axiom Schema 4.

Instead, I would like to suggest a different approach using Axiom Schema 6 and Universal Instantiation. Here is the proof:

\begin{align} \phi[x|m]\ \ \ \ \ \ \text{1. Hypothesis}\\\phi[x|m]\rightarrow(\phi[x|m]\rightarrow\phi[x|y])\ \ \ \ \ \ \text{2. Axiom Schema 6 (substitution of equal variables)}\\ \phi[x|m]\rightarrow\phi[x|y]\ \ \ \ \ \ \text{3. Modus Ponens applied to 1 and 2}\\\forall y((y=m)\rightarrow(\phi[x|m]\rightarrow\phi[x|y]))\ \ \ \ \ \ \text{4. Universal Instantiation applied to 3}\\ \phi[x|m]\rightarrow\forall y((y=m)\rightarrow\phi[x|y])\ \ \ \ \ \ \text{5. Deduction Theorem applied to 1 and 4}\end{align}

As for your question about aligning the equations in TeX, I would suggest using the align* environment instead of align, as it automatically aligns the equations at the desired position. Additionally, you can use the & symbol to specify where you want the equations to be aligned. For example:

\begin{align*} \phi[x|m] & \text{1. Hypothesis}\\ y=m & \text{2. Hypothesis}\\ (y=m)\rightarrow(\phi[x|m]\rightarrow\phi[x|y]) & \text{3. Axiom Schema 6 (substitution of equal variables)}\\ \phi[x|m]\rightarrow\phi[x|y] & \text{4. Modus Ponens applied to 2 and 3}\\ \forall y((y=m)\rightarrow(\phi[x|m]\rightarrow\phi[x|y]))

Related to Problem in Logic - Hilbert Systems

1. What is a Hilbert System?

A Hilbert System is a formal deductive system used to prove theorems in mathematical logic. It was first developed by mathematician David Hilbert in the early 20th century as a way to formalize mathematical reasoning and provide a foundation for the rest of mathematics.

2. What are the main components of a Hilbert System?

The main components of a Hilbert System are a set of axioms, a set of inference rules, and a set of logical symbols. The axioms are the starting points of the system, the inference rules dictate how new theorems can be derived from the axioms, and the logical symbols are used to represent logical connectives such as "and", "or", and "not".

3. What is the importance of Hilbert Systems in mathematics?

Hilbert Systems are important in mathematics because they provide a rigorous and formal approach to proving theorems and establishing the validity of mathematical arguments. They also serve as the basis for more complex formal systems used in fields such as computer science and artificial intelligence.

4. What are some common challenges encountered in working with Hilbert Systems?

One of the main challenges in working with Hilbert Systems is ensuring that the axioms and inference rules are consistent and do not lead to contradictions. This requires careful attention to detail and a deep understanding of the underlying logical principles. Another challenge is the potential for the system to be incomplete, meaning that there are true statements that cannot be proven within the system.

5. How are Hilbert Systems used in real-world applications?

Hilbert Systems have many practical applications, particularly in fields that require formal reasoning and proof, such as computer science and philosophy. They are also used in automated theorem proving, a process in which a computer program attempts to prove mathematical theorems using a Hilbert System. In addition, Hilbert Systems have been used to develop formal systems for other areas of mathematics, such as geometry and set theory.