Problem in solving question related to acceleration and velocity

In summary, the question asks for the time it takes for a stone to reach the floor of a lift that is moving upwards with an acceleration of 2 m/s^2 and a velocity of 8 m/s. Using the equations for acceleration and displacement, we can determine that the stone will reach the floor in 1 second.
hasnainzeenwa

Homework Statement

s lift whose cage in 3 m high is moving up with an acceleration of 2m/s^2. A piece of stone in dropped for the top of the cage of the lift when its velocity is 8 m/s, if g = 10 m/s^2, then the stone will reach the floor of the lift after how many seconds?

Homework Equations

a = (v - u) / t
d = avg v * t

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to think that if the lift is moving upwards, then when the stone will be dropped it won't have to fall full 3 m because the lift is also moving up so i think we have to add the velocity 8m/s and the velocity with which the stone is moving.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My interpretation.
http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/3747/p1010019qd.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You were right to think that the stone won't have to fall the full 3 meters, since the lift is accelerating upwards. But I'm not sure if that is the easiest way to think about it. Ask yourself: what is the cage/stone system's relative velocity and acceleration?

FAQ: Problem in solving question related to acceleration and velocity

1. What is the difference between acceleration and velocity?

Acceleration refers to the rate of change of an object's velocity over time, while velocity is the speed and direction of an object's motion.

2. How do I calculate acceleration?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula is: a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What is the relationship between acceleration and force?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be represented by the formula: a = F/m, where a is acceleration, F is net force, and m is mass.

4. How does acceleration affect an object's motion?

Acceleration can either increase or decrease an object's velocity, depending on its direction. If the acceleration is in the same direction as the velocity, the object's speed will increase. If the acceleration is in the opposite direction, the object's speed will decrease.

5. What factors can affect an object's acceleration?

The factors that can affect an object's acceleration include the magnitude and direction of the net force acting on the object, and the object's mass. Other factors such as air resistance and friction can also play a role in determining an object's acceleration.

Back