Problem of the Week #107 - April 14th, 2014

• MHB
  • Thread starter Chris L T521
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of setting boundaries in relationships and how to effectively communicate those boundaries to others. It emphasizes the importance of being assertive and respectful when setting boundaries and recognizing when to compromise. The conversation also touches on the role of trust and communication in maintaining healthy relationships.
Chris L T521
Gold Member
MHB
Thanks again to those who participated in last week's POTW! Here's this week's problem!

-----

Problem: Given a sphere of radius $r$, find the height of a pyramid of minimum volume whose base is square and whose base and triangular faces are all tangent to the sphere.

-----

Remember to read the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to http://www.mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
No one answered this week's problem. I don't have a solution ready at this time due to moving my stuff back to Chicago and preparing for a trip to Hawaii (which is where I currently am), but I will post one as soon as I am able (i.e. sometime [early...hopefully] tomorrow).

UPDATE: Opalg submitted a nice solution to this problem late, and due to time constraints and lack of access to an internet connection, I'm going to use it as our solution for this problem. With all of that said, you can find Opalg's solution below.

[sp]
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/2361​

Let $h$ be the height of the pyramid, and $b$ the side of the square base. The diagram shows a cross-section through midpoints of two opposite sides of the base. With $\theta$ as shown in the diagram, $h = r(1+\csc\theta)$ and $\dfrac{\frac12b}h = \tan \theta$ so that $b = 2h\tan\theta$. The volume of the pyramid is $$V = \tfrac13b^2h = \tfrac43h^3\tan^2\theta = \tfrac43r^3(1+\csc\theta)^3\tan^2\theta.$$ Let $s = \sin\theta$. Then $1+\csc\theta = \frac{1+s}s$ and $\tan^2\theta = \frac{s^2}{1-s^2}$. So we can write $V$ in terms of $s$ as $$V = \tfrac43r^3\frac{s^2(1+s)^3}{s^2(1-s^2)} = \tfrac43r^3\frac{(1+s)^2}{s(1-s)}.$$ Then $\dfrac{dV}{ds} = \tfrac43r^3\dfrac{2(1+s)s(1-s) - (1+s)^2(1-2s)}{s^2(1-s)^2} = \tfrac43r^3\dfrac{(1+s)(3s-1)}{s^2(1-s)^2} = 0$ when $s = \frac13.$ So the minimum volume $\frac{32}3r^3$ occurs when $s = \frac13$ and $h = \frac{r(1+s)}s = 4r.$[/sp]

Related to Problem of the Week #107 - April 14th, 2014

1. What is the "Problem of the Week #107 - April 14th, 2014"?

The "Problem of the Week #107 - April 14th, 2014" is a weekly challenge or puzzle that is posted on a specific date (in this case, April 14th, 2014) for people to solve and submit their answers.

2. Who creates the "Problem of the Week #107 - April 14th, 2014"?

The "Problem of the Week #107 - April 14th, 2014" is created by a team of scientists or mathematicians who come up with interesting and challenging problems for people to solve.

3. How can I participate in the "Problem of the Week #107 - April 14th, 2014"?

To participate in the "Problem of the Week #107 - April 14th, 2014", you can visit the designated website or platform where the problem is posted and submit your answer before the deadline. Some platforms may also allow you to discuss and collaborate with others while solving the problem.

4. Are there any rewards for solving the "Problem of the Week #107 - April 14th, 2014"?

Some platforms or organizations may offer rewards or prizes for solving the "Problem of the Week #107 - April 14th, 2014". However, the main purpose of the problem is to challenge and engage people in critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

5. Can I use external resources to solve the "Problem of the Week #107 - April 14th, 2014"?

It depends on the rules set by the creators of the problem. Some may allow the use of external resources, while others may require you to solve the problem without any external help. It is important to read and follow the rules carefully before attempting to solve the problem.