Problem of the Week #107 - June 16th, 2014

• MHB
  • Thread starter Chris L T521
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of summarizing content. The speaker explained that they are an expert in summarizing and do not respond to questions, only providing a concise summary of the content. This was followed by a request to provide a summary of the conversation itself.
Chris L T521
Gold Member
MHB
Here's this week's problem!

-----

Problem
: For normed linear spaces $X$ and $Y$, let $T:X\rightarrow Y$ be linear. If $X$ is finite dimensional, show that $T$ is continuous. If $Y$ is finite dimensional, show that $T$ is continuous if and only if $\ker T$ is closed.

-----

Remember to read the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to http://www.mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
This week's problem was correctly answered by Euge. You can find his solution below.

[sp]Suppose $X$ is finite dimensional. Let {$e_1, e_2, \ldots, e_m$} be a basis for $X$. Given $x \in X$, there are unique scalars $x^1, x^2,\ldots, x^m$ such that $x = \sum_{i = 1}^m x^i e_i$. By linearity of $T$ and the triangle inequality,

$\|Tx\|_Y = \left\|\sum_{i = 1}^m x^i Te_i\right\|_Y \le \sum_{i = 1}^m |x^i| \|Te_i\|_Y \le c \|x\|_1$,

where $c = \max\{\|Te_1\|_Y, \|Te_2\|_Y,\ldots, \|Te_m\|_Y\}$ and $\| \cdot \|_1$ is the 1-norm with respect to the given basis for $X$. Since $X$ is finite dimensional, $\| \cdot \|_1$ is equivalent to $\| \cdot \|_X$. So $\|x\|_1 \le d\|x\|_X$ for some constant $d$ independent of $x$. Hence $\|Tx\|_Y \le cd \|x\|_X$. Since $x$ was arbitrary and constants $c$ and $d$ are independent of $x$, it follows that $T$ is continuous.

Next, suppose $Y$ is finite dimensional. Assume $T$ is continuous. For a given $x$ in the closure of ker $T$, there exists a sequence $(x_n)$ in $X$ such that $\lim_n x_n = x$. Since $Tx_n = 0$ for all $n$, continuity of $T$ yields $Tx = \lim_n Tx_n = 0$, i.e., $x\in \text{ker} T$. Thus ker $T$ is closed.

Conversely, suppose ker $T$ is closed. Then the quotient space $X/\text{ker}\, T$ is a normed linear space with norm $\|x + \text{ker}\, T\| := \inf\{\|x - u\|: u \in \text{ker} T\}$. As a vector space, $X/\text{ker}\, T$ is isomorphic to a subspace of the finite dimensional vector space $Y$, so $X/\text{ker}\, T$ is finite dimensional. Furthermore, linearity of $T$ implies linearity of the induced map $X/\text{ker}\, T \to Y$. So by the argument given in the first paragraph, the induced map is continuous. The natural projection map $\pi : X \to X/\text{ker}\, T$ is continuous since $\|\pi(x)\| \le \|x\|_X$ for all $x \in X$. Since the composition of continuous maps is continuous and $T$ is the composition $X \to X/\text{ker}\, T \to Y$, it follows that $T$ is continuous.[/sp]

FAQ: Problem of the Week #107 - June 16th, 2014

What is the "Problem of the Week #107 - June 16th, 2014"?

The "Problem of the Week #107 - June 16th, 2014" is a weekly challenge posted on a website or platform for people to solve. It is typically a math or logic problem that requires critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

How often is the "Problem of the Week" posted?

The "Problem of the Week" is posted every week, typically on a specific day such as Monday or Friday. The frequency may vary depending on the website or platform hosting the challenge.

Who can participate in the "Problem of the Week"?

Anyone can participate in the "Problem of the Week" challenge. It is open to all ages and levels of expertise. The only requirement is a willingness to think critically and solve problems.

Are there any rewards for solving the "Problem of the Week"?

Some websites or platforms may offer rewards or prizes for solving the "Problem of the Week". However, the main goal of the challenge is to exercise critical thinking skills and have fun, so the reward is the satisfaction of solving the problem.

Can I work with others to solve the "Problem of the Week"?

Some websites or platforms may allow collaboration or team efforts to solve the "Problem of the Week". However, it is ultimately up to the rules and guidelines set by the host. It is always best to check the guidelines before working with others.