Problem of the Week #119 - September 8th, 2014

• MHB
  • Thread starter Chris L T521
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the importance of setting boundaries in relationships and how it can improve communication and overall happiness. The speakers also touched on the idea of being self-aware and understanding one's own needs and values in order to effectively set and maintain boundaries. It was emphasized that boundaries are not meant to be barriers, but rather to create a healthy balance in relationships.
Chris L T521
Gold Member
MHB
Here's this week's problem!

-----

Problem
: Let $A\subset X$, $f:A\rightarrow Y$ be continuous, and $Y$ be Hausdorff. Show that if $f$ may be extended to a continuous function $g:\overline{A}\rightarrow Y$, then $g$ is uniquely determined by $f$.

-----

Remember to read the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to http://www.mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
This week's problem was correctly answered by Ackbach and Euge. You can find Ackbach's solution below.

[sp]Let $h:\overline{A}\to Y$ be a continuous extension of $f$ to $\overline{A}$. That is, $f(x)=h(x) \; \forall x\in A$. By assumption, $f(x)=g(x) \; \forall x\in A$. Therefore, $g(x)=h(x)\; \forall x\in A$.

WTS: $g(x)=h(x) \; \forall x\in\overline{A}\setminus A$.

Let $\varepsilon>0$, and let $x\in\overline{A}\setminus A$ be arbitrary, and suppose $\{x_{i}\}\to x$ to be a sequence in $A$ converging to $x$. Now $g(x_i)=h(x_i) \; \forall i$, since $x_i\in A$. Since $g$ and $h$ are both continuous, it follows that $\{g(x_i)\}\to g(x)$ and $\{h(x_i)\}\to h(x)$. Then there exists $N_g$ s.t. $|g(x_n)-g(x)|<\dfrac{\varepsilon}{2} \; \forall n>N_g$, and there exists $N_h$ s.t. $|h(x_n)-h(x)|<\dfrac{\varepsilon}{2} \; \forall n>N_h$. Let $N=\max(N_g, N_h)$, and suppose $n>N$. Then
\begin{align*}
|g(x)-h(x)|&=|g(x)-g(x_n)+g(x_n)-h(x)| \\
&=|g(x)-g(x_n)+h(x_n)-h(x)| \\
&\le |g(x)-g(x_n)|+|h(x_n)-h(x)| \\
&\le \frac{\varepsilon}{2}+\frac{\varepsilon}{2} \\
&=\varepsilon.
\end{align*}
Since $\varepsilon$ was arbitrary, $|g(x)-h(x)|=0$, or $g(x)=h(x)$. Since $x$ was arbitrary, $g=h \; \forall x\in \overline{A}$, and we are done.[/sp]

FAQ: Problem of the Week #119 - September 8th, 2014

1. What is "Problem of the Week #119 - September 8th, 2014"?

"Problem of the Week #119 - September 8th, 2014" is a weekly challenge or puzzle that is presented by a scientific organization or community. It is usually posted on a specific date and participants are given a certain amount of time to solve the problem and submit their answers.

2. Who can participate in "Problem of the Week #119 - September 8th, 2014"?

Anyone with an interest in science and problem-solving can participate in "Problem of the Week #119 - September 8th, 2014". It is open to students, scientists, and the general public.

3. How do I submit my answer for "Problem of the Week #119 - September 8th, 2014"?

The specific instructions for submitting answers may vary, but most organizations will provide a designated email address or online form for participants to submit their answers. Make sure to follow the submission guidelines provided by the organization.

4. What is the purpose of "Problem of the Week #119 - September 8th, 2014"?

The purpose of "Problem of the Week #119 - September 8th, 2014" is to challenge and engage individuals in scientific thinking and problem-solving. It also serves as a platform for scientific organizations to promote their work and engage with the public.

5. Are there any prizes for "Problem of the Week #119 - September 8th, 2014"?

Prizes may vary depending on the organization hosting the challenge. Some may offer cash prizes, certificates, or recognition on their website or social media platforms. However, the main reward is the satisfaction of solving the problem and the opportunity to learn more about a specific scientific topic.