Problem of the Week #125 - August 18th, 2014

• MHB
  • Thread starter Chris L T521
  • Start date
In summary, two individuals are discussing the importance of time management and the impact it has on their productivity. They also mention the value of setting goals and priorities, as well as the need for balance in life. The conversation ends with the agreement that effective time management is crucial for achieving success and maintaining a healthy work-life balance.
Chris L T521
Gold Member
MHB
Here's this week's problem!

-----

Problem: Let $p$ be a quadratic form. Show that if $A$ is a nonzero $n\times n$ symmetric matrix such that $\mathrm{tr}(A)=0$, then $p(\mathbf{x}) = \mathbf{x}^TA\mathbf{x}$ is indefinite.

-----Remember to read the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to http://www.mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
This week's delays are brought to you by yours truly starting work again now that Fall semester is underway.

This week's problem was correctly answered by laura123. You can find her solution below.

[sp]Every symmetric matrix is diagonalizable i.e. it is similar to a diagonal matrix, so $A$ is similar to a diagonal matrix $D$ .
The trace of a matrix is similarity-invariant therefore $\mathrm{tr}(A)=\mathrm{tr}(D)$, but $\mathrm{tr}(A)=0$ therefore $\mathrm{tr}(D)=0$.
The eigenvalues of $A$ are the diagonal elements of $D$ therefore $\mathrm{tr}(D)$ is the sum of the eigenvalues of $A$, it follows that $\displaystyle \sum_{i}\lambda_i=0$ (where $\lambda_i$ are the eigenvalues of $A$).
$A$ is a nonzero matrix so there are $\lambda_i\neq 0$ and $\lambda_j\neq 0$, eigenvalues of $A$, such that $\lambda_i\cdot\lambda_j< 0$ therefore $A$ is indefinite. So $p(\mathbf{x}) = \mathbf{x}^TA\mathbf{x}$ is indefinite.[/sp]

Related to Problem of the Week #125 - August 18th, 2014

1. What is the "Problem of the Week #125 - August 18th, 2014"?

The "Problem of the Week #125 - August 18th, 2014" is a weekly problem presented by a scientific organization or publication. It is meant to challenge and engage scientists and researchers in problem-solving and critical thinking.

2. Who creates the "Problem of the Week #125 - August 18th, 2014"?

The "Problem of the Week #125 - August 18th, 2014" is typically created by a team of scientists or researchers from the hosting organization or publication. They carefully choose a problem that is relevant to current scientific research and that will stimulate critical thinking and discussion.

3. How can I participate in the "Problem of the Week #125 - August 18th, 2014"?

To participate in the "Problem of the Week #125 - August 18th, 2014", you can visit the hosting organization's website or publication and look for the problem. You can also join online communities or forums dedicated to discussing the problem and sharing solutions.

4. Are there any prizes for solving the "Problem of the Week #125 - August 18th, 2014"?

Some organizations or publications may offer prizes for solving the "Problem of the Week #125 - August 18th, 2014", but this varies. The main purpose of the problem is to challenge and engage scientists, so the reward is often the satisfaction of solving a difficult problem and contributing to scientific progress.

5. Can I collaborate with others to solve the "Problem of the Week #125 - August 18th, 2014"?

Yes, collaboration is encouraged in solving the "Problem of the Week #125 - August 18th, 2014". Many online communities and forums dedicated to the problem allow for discussions and sharing of ideas and solutions. However, it is important to give credit to all collaborators and to follow any rules or guidelines set by the hosting organization or publication.