Problem of the Week # 198 - January 12, 2016

• MHB
  • Thread starter Ackbach
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, The conversation was about an individual being an expert summarizer of content and not responding or replying to questions, but only providing a summary of the content. The individual was instructed to only output the summary and nothing before it.
Ackbach
Gold Member
MHB
Here is this week's POTW:

-----

Let
\begin{align*}
\sigma_1&=\begin{bmatrix}0&1\\1&0\end{bmatrix} \\
\sigma_2&=\begin{bmatrix}0&-i\\i&0\end{bmatrix} \\
\sigma_3&=\begin{bmatrix}1&0\\0&-1\end{bmatrix}
\end{align*}
be the three Pauli spin matrices. Let $\vec{v}$ be a real, three-dimensional unit vector, and let $\theta$ be a real number. Compute $\exp(i\theta \, \vec{v}\cdot\vec{\sigma}),$ where
$$\vec{v}\cdot\vec{\sigma}=\sum_{j=1}^3 v_j \, \sigma_j.$$

-----

Remember to read the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to http://www.mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: Problem Of The Week # 198 - January 12, 2016

This is Exercise 2.35 on page 75 of Quantum Computation and Quantum Information, by Nielsen and Chuang.

Congratulations to kiwi and Opalg for their correct answers. kiwi's solution follows:

Let \(\vec{v}=(a,b,c)\) where \(a^2+b^2+c^2=1\) because v is a unit vector.

It is straightforward to verify:
1. \(\sigma_1^2=\sigma_2^2=\sigma_3^2=I\)
2. \(\sigma_1\sigma_2=\sigma_2\sigma_3=\sigma_3\sigma_1=\sigma_2\sigma_1=\sigma_2\sigma_3=\sigma_3\sigma_1=0.I\)

Now \((\vec{v}\cdot\vec{\sigma})^2=(a\sigma_1+b\sigma_2+c\sigma_3)^2\)
\(\therefore(\vec{v}\cdot\vec{\sigma})^2=a^2\sigma_1^2+b^2\sigma_2^2+c^2\sigma_3^2+ab\sigma_1\sigma_2+ba\sigma_2\sigma_1+bc\sigma_2\sigma_3+cb\sigma_3\sigma_2+ca\sigma_3\sigma_1+ac\sigma_1\sigma_3\)
using (1) and (2)
\(\therefore(\vec{v}\cdot\vec{\sigma})^2=(a^2+b^2+c^2)I=I\)
So
3. \((\vec{v}\cdot\vec{\sigma})^{2n}=I\) for any n

Finally using a Taylor expansion:

\(e^{i\theta(\vec{v}\cdot\vec{\sigma})}=\sum_{n=0}^{\inf} \frac{(i)^n[\theta(\vec{v}\cdot\vec{\sigma})]^n}{n!}\)

\(\therefore =\sum_{n=0}^{\inf} \frac{(i)^{2n}[\theta(\vec{v}\cdot\vec{\sigma})]^{2n}}{(2n)!}+\sum_{n=0}^{\inf} \frac{(i)^{2n+1}[\theta(\vec{v}\cdot\vec{\sigma})]^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)!}\)

Using (3) we get:

\(\therefore =\sum_{n=0}^{\inf} I\frac{(-1)^{n}[\theta]^{2n}}{(2n)!}+\sum_{n=0}^{\inf} \frac{i(-1)^{n}[\theta]^{2n+1}(\vec{v}\cdot\vec{\sigma})}{(2n+1)!}\)

\(\therefore =I\sum_{n=0}^{\inf} \frac{(-1)^{n}[\theta]^{2n}}{(2n)!}+i(\vec{v}\cdot\vec{\sigma})\sum_{n=0}^{\inf} \frac{(-1)^{n}[\theta]^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)!}\)

Now recognising the Taylor expansions of cos and sin gives:

\( e^{i\theta(\vec{v}\cdot\vec{\sigma})}=I\cos(\theta)+i(\vec{v}\cdot\vec{\sigma})\sin(\theta)\)

Related to Problem of the Week # 198 - January 12, 2016

1. What is the "Problem of the Week # 198 - January 12, 2016"?

The "Problem of the Week # 198 - January 12, 2016" is a weekly problem that is posted on a specific date by a scientific organization or community. It is designed to challenge and engage individuals in critical thinking and problem-solving skills related to a specific topic or field of study.

2. Who creates the "Problem of the Week # 198 - January 12, 2016"?

The "Problem of the Week # 198 - January 12, 2016" is typically created by a team of scientists or experts in a specific field. They carefully craft the problem and its accompanying instructions to ensure that it is both challenging and informative.

3. How can I participate in the "Problem of the Week # 198 - January 12, 2016"?

Participation in the "Problem of the Week # 198 - January 12, 2016" varies depending on the organization or community hosting it. Some may require registration or submission of solutions, while others may simply provide the problem for individuals to solve on their own. It is best to check the specific guidelines or instructions for participation.

4. What is the purpose of the "Problem of the Week # 198 - January 12, 2016"?

The purpose of the "Problem of the Week # 198 - January 12, 2016" is to promote critical thinking and problem-solving skills within a specific field of study. It also serves as a way to engage individuals in a fun and challenging activity related to science.

5. Are there any rewards for solving the "Problem of the Week # 198 - January 12, 2016"?

Some organizations or communities may offer rewards or recognition for individuals who successfully solve the "Problem of the Week # 198 - January 12, 2016". This can range from certificates or badges to special prizes or opportunities. However, the main reward is the satisfaction and sense of accomplishment in solving a challenging problem.