Problem of the Week #91 - December 23rd, 2013

• MHB
  • Thread starter Chris L T521
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of expert summarizing and how the individual only provides a summary of content without responding to questions. They are skilled at condensing information and do not add any additional input beyond the summary.
Chris L T521
Gold Member
MHB
Thanks again to those who participated in last week's POTW! Here's this week's problem!

-----

Problem: Use the $\epsilon-\delta$ definition of the limit to prove that $\displaystyle \lim_{(x,y)\to(0,0)} \frac{3x^2y}{x^2+y^2} = 0$.

-----

Hint: [sp]As you start finding upper bounds for the multivariable inequalities, keep in mind that $x^2\leq x^2+y^2$ since $y^2\geq 0$.[/sp]

Physics news on Phys.org
This week's problem was correctly answered by MarkFL. You can find his solution below.

[sp]We are asked to show that:

\(\displaystyle \lim_{(x,y)\to(0,0)} \frac{3x^2y}{x^2+y^2} = 0\)

Switching to polar coordinates (and observing that distance from the origin depends only on $r$), we obtain:

\(\displaystyle 3\cos^2(\theta)\sin(\theta)\lim_{r\to 0} r = 0\)

Since \(\displaystyle 3\cos^2(\theta)\sin(\theta)\) is bounded for any real $\theta$, we are left with:

\(\displaystyle \lim_{r\to 0} r = 0\)

For any given $\epsilon>0$, we wish to find a $\delta$ so that:

\(\displaystyle |r|<\epsilon\) whenever \(\displaystyle 0<|r|<\delta\)

Thus, to make:

\(\displaystyle |r|<\epsilon\)

we need only make:

\(\displaystyle 0<|r|<\epsilon\)

We may then choose:

\(\displaystyle \delta=\epsilon\)

Thus:

\(\displaystyle 0<|r|<\delta\implies |r|<\epsilon\implies\lim_{r\to 0} r = 0\)[/sp]

This wasn't the solution I had in mind; I will update this post with my solution later today.

FAQ: Problem of the Week #91 - December 23rd, 2013

1. What is the "Problem of the Week #91 - December 23rd, 2013"?

The "Problem of the Week #91 - December 23rd, 2013" is a weekly challenge posted by a scientific organization or community. It typically involves a problem or puzzle related to a particular scientific topic or concept.

2. Who can participate in the "Problem of the Week #91 - December 23rd, 2013"?

Anyone with an interest in science and problem-solving can participate in the "Problem of the Week #91 - December 23rd, 2013". It is open to students, scientists, and the general public.

3. How can I submit my answer to the "Problem of the Week #91 - December 23rd, 2013"?

The specific instructions for submitting your answer may vary, but most organizations will provide a designated email address or online form for submissions. Make sure to follow the guidelines and include all necessary information.

4. What is the purpose of the "Problem of the Week #91 - December 23rd, 2013"?

The "Problem of the Week #91 - December 23rd, 2013" serves as a fun and challenging way to engage people in scientific thinking and problem-solving. It also encourages critical thinking and collaboration within the scientific community.

5. Are there any rewards for participating in the "Problem of the Week #91 - December 23rd, 2013"?

Some organizations may offer rewards, such as prizes or recognition, for those who successfully solve the problem. However, the main reward is the satisfaction of solving a challenging scientific problem and learning something new in the process.