Problem of the Week #92 - December 30th, 2013

• MHB
  • Thread starter Chris L T521
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about the importance of setting achievable goals and creating a plan to reach those goals. The speaker emphasized the need to break down big goals into smaller, manageable tasks and to stay motivated by tracking progress and celebrating successes. They also discussed the importance of being flexible and adjusting the plan if needed.
Chris L T521
Gold Member
MHB
Thanks again to those who participated in last week's POTW! Here's the last University POTW of 2013!

-----

Problem: Suppose that $A$ and $B$ are $n\times n$ matrices and that $AB=BA$. Prove that $e^{A+B} = e^{A}e^{B}$, where $e^A$ denotes the matrix exponential.

-----

Physics news on Phys.org
This week's problem was correctly answered by Deveno. You can find his solution below.

[sp]Since the matrix exponential converges everywhere, the LHS and RHS factors are well-defined, and thus so is the product series of the RHS. Now the $k$-th term of $e^Ae^B$ is:

$\displaystyle \sum_{i=0}^k \left(\frac{A^i}{i!}\right)\left(\frac{B^{k-i}}{(k-i)!}\right)$

$\displaystyle = \frac{1}{k!}\sum_{i = 0}^k \frac{k!}{i!(k-i)!}A^iB^{k-i}$

$\displaystyle = \frac{1}{k!}\sum_{i = 0}^k \binom k i A^iB^{k-i}$

$\displaystyle = \frac{1}{k!} (A+B)^k$

(we can only justify using this binomial expansion BECAUSE $A$ and $B$ commute: for example, in general we have

$(A+B)^2 = A^2 + AB + BA + B^2 = A^2 + 2AB + B^2$ only if $AB = BA$ and similarly with higher powers)

which is precisely the $k$-th term of $e^{A+B}$.[/sp]

FAQ: Problem of the Week #92 - December 30th, 2013

1. What is the "Problem of the Week #92 - December 30th, 2013"?

The "Problem of the Week #92 - December 30th, 2013" is a mathematical problem that was posed on a specific date as part of a series of weekly challenges.

2. Who created the "Problem of the Week #92 - December 30th, 2013"?

The "Problem of the Week #92 - December 30th, 2013" was created by a team of mathematicians and educators who create weekly challenges for students and enthusiasts to engage in problem-solving and critical thinking.

3. What is the purpose of the "Problem of the Week #92 - December 30th, 2013"?

The purpose of the "Problem of the Week #92 - December 30th, 2013" is to challenge individuals to think creatively and apply mathematical concepts to solve a problem. It also aims to promote interest and enthusiasm for mathematics.

4. How can I participate in the "Problem of the Week #92 - December 30th, 2013"?

To participate in the "Problem of the Week #92 - December 30th, 2013", you can visit the website or platform where the problem was posted and submit your solution. Some platforms may also have a discussion forum where you can share your approach and discuss with others.

5. Are there any prizes for solving the "Problem of the Week #92 - December 30th, 2013"?

The specific "Problem of the Week #92 - December 30th, 2013" may not have a prize, but some platforms or organizations may offer rewards or recognition for consistently participating and solving problems in the series. The main benefit of participating is to improve your problem-solving skills and engage in a community of like-minded individuals.