Problem of the Week #98 - February 10th, 2014

• MHB
  • Thread starter Chris L T521
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the benefits of practicing mindfulness and how it can improve overall well-being. It also touched on the importance of setting boundaries and prioritizing self-care in order to maintain mental and emotional balance. The speakers emphasized the power of being present in the moment and letting go of negative thoughts and distractions. Overall, the conversation highlighted the positive impact of incorporating mindfulness into daily life.
Chris L T521
Gold Member
MHB
Thanks again to those who participated in last week's POTW! Here's this week's problem!

-----

Problem: Evaluate the integral
\[\int_0^1 \int_0^1 \exp(\max\{x^2,y^2\})\,dy\,dx\]
where $\exp(u) = e^u$ and $\max\{x^2,y^2\}$ means the larger of the numbers $x^2$ and $y^2$.

-----

Physics news on Phys.org
This week's problem was correctly answered by chisigma, lfdahl, magneto, MarkFL, and Pranav. You can find Mark's solution below.

[sp]First, we need to determine where $y^2>x^2$ in the square region over which we are integrating. We find that the diagonal of the square along the line $y=x$ divides the region into two areas. The right isosceles triangle with vertices $(0,0),\,(0,1),\,(1,1)$ is where $y^2\ge x$ and the right isosceles triangle with vertices $(0,0),\,(1,1),\,(1,0)$ is where $x^2\ge y^2$.

We will treat the triangular region where $x^2\ge y^2$ as a Type I region and the region where $y^2\ge x$ as a Type II region.

Thus, we may state:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_0^1\int_0^1 \exp\left(\max\left(x^2,y^2 \right) \right)\,dy\,dx=\int_0^1\int_0^x e^{x^2}\,dy\,dx+\int_0^1\int_0^y e^{y^2}\,dx\,dy\)

Rewriting the iterated integrals, we have:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_0^1 e^{x^2}\left[\int_0^x \,dy \right]\,dx+\int_0^1e^{y^2}\left[\int_0^y \,dx \right]\,dy\)

Applying the FTOC on the inner integrals, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_0^1 xe^{x^2}\,dx+\int_0^1 ye^{y^2}\,dy\)

Observing that if we change the dummy variables of integration both to $u$, we find:

\(\displaystyle I=2\int_0^1 ue^{u^2}\,du\)

Using the substitution:

\(\displaystyle v=u^2\,\therefore\,dv=2u\,du\)

We find:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_0^1 e^{v}\,dv=\left.e^v \right|_0^1=e-1\)

Hence, we may conclude that:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_0^1\int_0^1 \exp\left(\max\left(x^2,y^2 \right) \right)\,dy\,dx=e-1\)[/sp]

Related to Problem of the Week #98 - February 10th, 2014

1. What is the "Problem of the Week #98 - February 10th, 2014"?

The "Problem of the Week #98 - February 10th, 2014" is a weekly math problem that was posted on February 10th, 2014. It is a popular problem-solving challenge for students and math enthusiasts.

2. How difficult is the "Problem of the Week #98 - February 10th, 2014"?

The difficulty of the "Problem of the Week #98 - February 10th, 2014" varies depending on the individual's math skills and problem-solving abilities. However, it is generally considered to be a challenging problem that requires critical thinking and mathematical reasoning.

3. Can anyone participate in the "Problem of the Week #98 - February 10th, 2014"?

Yes, anyone can participate in the "Problem of the Week #98 - February 10th, 2014". It is open to all ages and skill levels. The purpose of the problem is to encourage critical thinking and problem-solving skills, so everyone is welcome to give it a try.

4. Are there any prizes for solving the "Problem of the Week #98 - February 10th, 2014"?

No, there are no prizes for solving the "Problem of the Week #98 - February 10th, 2014". It is purely a challenge for personal growth and development in the field of mathematics.

5. Where can I find the solution to the "Problem of the Week #98 - February 10th, 2014"?

The solution to the "Problem of the Week #98 - February 10th, 2014" can be found on the website or platform where the problem was originally posted. It may also be available on other math problem-solving forums or websites.