Problem On Designing A Sheel-And-Tube Heat Exchanger

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a shell-and-tube heat exchanger for a third year chemical engineering student. The two fluids used are acetic acid and water, with specific flow rates and temperatures. The problem arises when trying to calculate the correlation factor F, where the values of R=1 and S=0.85 are found. The teacher's suggestion is to use a single tube-side pass if F>0.75 is not achievable. However, this results in a low tube side velocity of 0.234m/s, which is below the recommended range of 1-2m/s. The student is looking for help on how to increase the tube side velocity while using a single tube side pass.
Kogara
Hello, I'm a third year chemical engineering student and i have to design a shell-and-tube heat exchanger.
My two fluids are:
- Tube side: Acetic acid at 8.90kg/s (from 303 to 343K).
- Shell side: Water at 2.5kg/s (from 350 to 310K).

This is my problem: When i want to find the correlation factor F, i do the calculation of R and S and i found R=1 and S=0.85.
When i have a look to the chart , i can see that this value of S is after the "R=1" curve.
Following the lecture of my teacher who said: "If F>0.75 inachievable, use single tube-side pass; then F become 1", i use this F=1 and Np=1.
I found an area A=125.208m².

The problem is when i do the calculation of the tube side velocity, i found (in the best case) u=0.234m/s and the suggested range is between 1 and 2 m/s...

This is because i use Np=1 because when i use Np=6 or 8, my heat exchanger is working...

So i really don't know what can i do for finding my tube side velocity between 1 and 2 if i have to use a single tube side pass...

I hope someone is going to help me about that and if I'm not clear, i can add all the informations you want..

Physics news on Phys.org
If you still need help on this I know something about heat exchangers. Unfortunately I'm not sure exactly what methods you're using or what the variables R, S, F represent. Please give a little more detail on those and I'll try to help.

Related to Problem On Designing A Sheel-And-Tube Heat Exchanger

1. What factors should be considered when designing a shell-and-tube heat exchanger?

When designing a shell-and-tube heat exchanger, several factors should be taken into account including the flow rates of the hot and cold fluids, the desired temperature change, the physical properties of the fluids, the available space and cost constraints, and the desired efficiency of the heat transfer.

2. What materials are commonly used for the tubes and shell in a heat exchanger?

The tubes in a heat exchanger are commonly made of materials such as copper, stainless steel, or titanium, which have good thermal conductivity and corrosion resistance. The shell, on the other hand, is typically made of materials like carbon steel or stainless steel, which provide structural support and durability.

3. How do you determine the appropriate size and number of tubes for a shell-and-tube heat exchanger?

The size and number of tubes in a shell-and-tube heat exchanger are determined based on the required heat transfer area, which is calculated by considering the flow rates, physical properties, and desired temperature change of the fluids. The number of tubes is then determined by dividing the total required area by the cross-sectional area of a single tube.

4. What is the difference between a parallel-flow and a counter-flow heat exchanger?

In a parallel-flow heat exchanger, the hot and cold fluids flow in the same direction, while in a counter-flow heat exchanger, they flow in opposite directions. Counter-flow heat exchangers typically have higher heat transfer efficiency compared to parallel-flow heat exchangers, but they also require more space and are more expensive to manufacture.

5. How do you ensure the effectiveness and efficiency of a shell-and-tube heat exchanger?

To ensure the effectiveness and efficiency of a shell-and-tube heat exchanger, it is important to regularly clean and maintain the tubes to prevent fouling and reduce the risk of corrosion. Additionally, using appropriate materials and proper design techniques can help optimize the heat transfer process and increase efficiency.

Back