Problem Understanding A Main Sequence Question:

• Thread starter jguy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequence
In summary, the Main Sequence is a region of a two-dimensional phase space that is determined by a single physical property.
jguy
Hello, all, I am an adult college student and I'm having a terrible time "understanding" a particular astronomy question. I do not ask that any of you answer the question, but I am asking that maybe some of you can re-structure the original question so that I may have a clue as to what's expected?
Here is the question: "Tell what single stellar physical property the Main Sequence is a sequence of."

There are several properties like spectral types and luminosities -- so I'm not sure what the intent of the professor with this inquiry. Again, please don't answer the question. I want to "think it through" myself -- I've been stumpped by this for the last 2 days. Any help would be most graciously appreciated.

J.

Physics news on Phys.org
Stars on the main sequence have a direct correlation between color and brightness, ranging from red dwarfs to blue giants. White dwarfs and red giants are off sequence.

The underlying physics is that main sequence stars are hydrogen burning, the others are not.

There is indeed a single, simple property that defines all other properties of a main sequence star. So, you might ask yourself what determines the color and brightness of a star?

I agree with ^, that seems to be what the question is aiming for.

If so, I'd have phrased it as something like "which single stellar physical property determines primarily where on the Main Sequence a given star is located?"

At face value, the question doesn't really make sense to me. The Main Sequence is a region in a two-dimensional phase space, saying that it is "a sequence of [a] physical property" is at best semantically vague and at worst nonsensical, IMO.

Thank you all for the comments! Onomatomanic, I defiantly understand your position with regard to the question. I seriously and directly "cut-n-pasted" that question right from the assignment! I was at a loss - I have reviewed the magnitude class and the H-R diagram as well as the interrelated properties spectra reveals, but really couldn't cope with the question's intent. This is a "distance Ed" class, one where I am physically located on one side of my country and the professor is in another. Thus, communications can be misconstrued from time to time. I personally thank you all for taking time from your busy lives to entertain a disparate individual!

Related to Problem Understanding A Main Sequence Question:

What is a main sequence question?

A main sequence question is a type of problem understanding question that is used in scientific research. It is used to identify the main factors or variables that are important in a particular research question. This helps to narrow down the focus of the research and guide the development of hypotheses and experiments.

How do you identify a main sequence question?

To identify a main sequence question, you need to look for the key variables or factors that are being studied in the research. These variables should be clearly defined and measurable. Additionally, a main sequence question should be focused and specific, rather than broad and vague.

What is the purpose of asking a main sequence question?

The purpose of asking a main sequence question is to guide the research process and help scientists to gain a better understanding of the problem being studied. It helps to identify the key factors that may influence the outcome of the research and allows for more focused and effective research methods.

Can main sequence questions change during the course of research?

Yes, main sequence questions can change during the course of research. This often happens as new information or data is gathered, or as unexpected results are obtained. It is important for scientists to remain open-minded and willing to adapt their main sequence question as needed to ensure the most accurate and meaningful results.

How do you use main sequence questions in data analysis?

Main sequence questions are used in data analysis by helping to guide the interpretation of the data. By focusing on the key variables identified in the main sequence question, scientists can more easily determine patterns and relationships in the data. This can lead to more accurate conclusions and insights about the problem being studied.