Problem with differentiation and area of components

In summary, to maximize the volume of the component, L and R should be determined so that the surface area of the cylinder is greater than the surface area of the cone.
TW Cantor

Homework Statement

The diagram attached shows a solid engineering component which consists of a solid cylinder of length L and radius r, together with a right circular cone with semi-vertical angle = 11 degrees.
The total surface area of the component is 481.
The component is to be manufactured so as to have maximum volume.

Calculate the values of L and R for maximum volume.

Homework Equations

Surface area of cylinder = 2*pi*radius*length + 2*pi*radius2
Surface area of cone = pi*radius*length of slope + pi*radius2
Volume of cylinder = pi*radius2*length
Volume of cone = (pi*radius2*heigth)/3

The Attempt at a Solution

i guess i have to get an equation for the total volume in terms of r but i can't seem to think of a way to find the radius in terms of L. i would then differentiate this equation and equal it to 0 to find the maximum volume

Attachments

• cone.jpg
    cone.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 358
Physics news on Phys.org
TW Cantor said:

Homework Statement

The diagram attached shows a solid engineering component which consists of a solid cylinder of length L and radius r, together with a right circular cone with semi-vertical angle = 11 degrees.
The total surface area of the component is 481.
The component is to be manufactured so as to have maximum volume.

Calculate the values of L and R for maximum volume.

Homework Equations

Surface area of cylinder = 2*pi*radius*length + 2*pi*radius2

When the parts are joined, the base of the cone and the end of the cylinder where it is attached are inside the solid. They wouldn't be included in the surface area. So don't count both ends of the cone.

Surface area of cone = pi*radius*length of slope + pi*radius2

And don't count the base of the cone in the surface area.

Volume of cylinder = pi*radius2*length
Volume of cone = (pi*radius2*heigth)/3

The Attempt at a Solution

i guess i have to get an equation for the total volume in terms of r but i can't seem to think of a way to find the radius in terms of L. i would then differentiate this equation and equal it to 0 to find the maximum volume

First you need to correct your equations and write them in terms of r and L. Then when you calculate the total surface area and set it equal to 481, you should be able to solve it for L in terms of r. And once you have r you can get L.

hi LCKurtz :-)

so I've worked out that L in terms of r is equal to:

L=(π*r2+((π*r2)/sin(11))-481)/(2*π*r)

i guess i then have to get combine the two volume equations for a cone and a cylinder to get total volume in terms of r. i then differentiate the total volume and equal it to 0 to find r at maximum volume?

TW Cantor said:
hi LCKurtz :-)

so I've worked out that L in terms of r is equal to:

L=(π*r2+((π*r2)/sin(11))-481)/(2*π*r)

i guess i then have to get combine the two volume equations for a cone and a cylinder to get total volume in terms of r. i then differentiate the total volume and equal it to 0 to find r at maximum volume?

I think you need (481 - expression) instead of (expression - 481) in the numerator, so check your sign. Other than that, yes you have the right plan of what to do next.

yes i have now completed this problem :-)
thanks a lot for your hints ;-)

Related to Problem with differentiation and area of components

1. What is differentiation and why is it important in scientific research?

Differentiation is the process of finding the rate of change of a quantity with respect to another. It is important in scientific research as it allows us to analyze and understand how variables are related and how they change over time. This helps in making predictions and drawing conclusions about natural phenomena.

2. How does differentiation help in determining the area of components?

Differentiation helps in determining the area of components by finding the derivative of a function that represents the component. The derivative gives the rate of change of the component, which can then be used to find its area by integration.

3. What are some common challenges in differentiation and area calculations?

One common challenge is dealing with complex functions that require advanced differentiation techniques. Another challenge is determining the limits of integration, especially in cases where the function has multiple components. Additionally, integration can be challenging when dealing with non-uniform shapes or irregular boundaries.

4. How can differentiation and area calculations be applied in real-world scenarios?

Differentiation and area calculations are widely used in many fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and biology. They can be used to model and analyze natural phenomena, make predictions about future trends, and optimize processes and systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using differentiation and area calculations in scientific research?

While differentiation and area calculations are powerful tools in scientific research, they also have limitations. For example, they may not accurately represent systems with nonlinear or chaotic behavior. Additionally, assumptions and simplifications made in the calculations may not reflect real-world scenarios accurately.