Problem with evolution operator and harmonic oscillator

This shows that U*(pi/(2*omega)) |p> is a linear combination of |x> and |p>, and thus, it is an eigenvector of x.To find its eigenvalue, we can use the fact that x is the position operator, and it acts on |p> to give the eigenvalue x. Therefore, the eigenvalue of U*(pi/(2*omega)) |p> is x = (pi*x)/(2*m*omega*h_bar).In summary, U*(pi/(2*omega)) |x> is an eigenvector of p with eigenvalue p = (pi*p)/(2*m*omega*h_bar), and U
lufus

Homework Statement

Show that U*(pi/(2*omega)) |x> is an eigenvecor of p and specify its eigenvalue. Similarly, establish that U*(pi/(2*omega)) |p> is an eigenvector of x.

Homework Equations

U*(t) = exp((i/h_bar)H*t)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried using closure with P (U*(pi/(2*omega)) |x>) to get a constant * (U*(pi/(2*omega)) |x>), but I'm not getting anywhere. I really have no clue.

This is a problem from Cohen-Tannoudji, Vol. 1, Chapter V, Complement M, 8c.

Physics news on Phys.org

To show that U*(pi/(2*omega)) |x> is an eigenvector of p, we can use the momentum operator in position basis, given by p = -i*h_bar*(d/dx). We can also use the definition of U*(t) and substitute in the given value of t, which is pi/(2*omega). This gives us:

U*(pi/(2*omega)) |x> = exp((i/h_bar)H*(pi/(2*omega))) |x>

= exp((i/h_bar)(p^2/2m)*(pi/(2*omega))) |x>

= exp((i*p*pi)/(2*m*omega*h_bar)) |x>

= exp(i*(pi*p)/(2*m*omega*h_bar)) |x>

Now, we can use the property of exponentials, exp(ix) = cos(x) + i*sin(x), to write this as:

U*(pi/(2*omega)) |x> = cos((pi*p)/(2*m*omega*h_bar)) |x> + i*sin((pi*p)/(2*m*omega*h_bar)) |x>

This shows that U*(pi/(2*omega)) |x> is a linear combination of |x> and |p>, and thus, it can be written as a linear combination of its own eigenstates. Therefore, it is an eigenvector of p.

To find its eigenvalue, we can use the fact that p is the momentum operator, and it acts on |x> to give the eigenvalue p. Therefore, the eigenvalue of U*(pi/(2*omega)) |x> is p = (pi*p)/(2*m*omega*h_bar).

Similarly, to show that U*(pi/(2*omega)) |p> is an eigenvector of x, we can use the position operator in momentum basis, given by x = i*h_bar*(d/dp). Again, we can substitute in the given value of t and use the property of exponentials to write it as:

U*(pi/(2*omega)) |p> = exp(i*(pi*x)/(2*m*omega*h_bar)) |p>

Now, using the property of exponentials, we can write this as:

U*(pi/(2*omega)) |p> = cos((pi*x)/(2*m*omega*h_bar)) |p> + i*sin((pi*x)/(

FAQ: Problem with evolution operator and harmonic oscillator

1. What is the problem with the evolution operator in the context of the harmonic oscillator?

The evolution operator, also known as the time evolution operator, is used in quantum mechanics to describe how a quantum system changes over time. The problem with this operator in the context of the harmonic oscillator is that it does not accurately describe the behavior of the oscillator at higher energies. This is because the operator assumes that the potential energy of the oscillator is quadratic, which is only true for low energies.

2. How does this problem affect our understanding of the harmonic oscillator?

The problem with the evolution operator can lead to incorrect predictions about the behavior of the harmonic oscillator at higher energies. This can affect our understanding of the oscillator's properties and may require the use of other mathematical models to accurately describe its behavior.

3. Are there any proposed solutions to this problem?

Yes, there have been several proposed solutions to this problem. One approach is to use higher-order corrections to the evolution operator, which can account for the non-quadratic potential energy at higher energies. Another solution is to use different mathematical models, such as the path integral formalism, to describe the behavior of the harmonic oscillator.

4. How does this problem impact other areas of physics?

The problem with the evolution operator in the context of the harmonic oscillator is specific to quantum mechanics, so it does not have a direct impact on other areas of physics. However, it does highlight the limitations of certain mathematical models and the need for more accurate descriptions of physical systems at higher energies.

5. Is there ongoing research to address this problem?

Yes, there is ongoing research in this area to develop more accurate and comprehensive models for describing the behavior of the harmonic oscillator at all energy levels. This includes exploring alternative mathematical approaches and developing new techniques for calculating the evolution of quantum systems.

Back