Problem with extra [MATH] [/MATH] signs

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
In summary, Peter is having trouble with Latex code that was automatically entered into a post on the Linear and Absract Algebra forum. He removes all the COLOR tags and suggests that the problem may be with the editor he is using.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
In a post on Group algebras on the Linear and Absract Algebra forum I am having some troubles with Latex.

One of the problems is that the editor seems to automatically put in extra sign when I hit save changes or submit.

The line in question is

\(\displaystyle = \alpha_{g_1} g_1 +\alpha_{g_2} g_2 + \ … \ … \ + \)\(\displaystyle \alpha_{g_n} g_n \)

Even when I clear the extra signs the code does not work?

Another line I am having similar trouble with is as follows:

\(\displaystyle = \beta_{h_1} h_1 + \beta_{h_2} h_2 + \ … \ … \ + \)
\(\displaystyle \beta_{h_n} h_n [/MATH]

Can anyone see why this is not displaying correctly?

Peter
\)

Physics news on Phys.org
\(\displaystyle = \alpha_{g_1} g_1 +\alpha_{g_2} g_2 + \ … \ … \ + \alpha_{g_n} g_n\)\(\displaystyle = \beta_{h_1} h_1 + \beta_{h_2} h_2 + \ … \ … \ + \beta_{h_n} h_n \)

I stripped all the COLOR tags that were embedded in the code. I suspect you use the WYSIWYG editor and perhaps were unaware that you had these BBCodes embedded in your code.

MarkFL said:
\(\displaystyle = \alpha_{g_1} g_1 +\alpha_{g_2} g_2 + \ … \ … \ + \alpha_{g_n} g_n\)\(\displaystyle = \beta_{h_1} h_1 + \beta_{h_2} h_2 + \ … \ … \ + \beta_{h_n} h_n \)

I stripped all the COLOR tags that were embedded in the code. I suspect you use the WYSIWYG editor and perhaps were unaware that you had these BBCodes embedded in your code.
Hi Mark,

I am just visiting a friend in Melbourne in the state of Victoria and am working with my friends Mac instead of my PC which I have left in Tasmania.

Problem must be with the Mac somehow

Peter

Try editing the post(s) in question, and while doing so, look for this button:

View attachment 3143

The one at the upper left. If that button has a white background, then you are using the WYSIWYG editor. Click that button to change to standard mode, and then you will see the raw code of your post, and you can then edit out the COLOR tags.

Attachments

• toolbar.png
    toolbar.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 73
MarkFL said:
Try editing the post(s) in question, and while doing so, look for this button:

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/3143

The one at the upper left. If that button has a white background, then you are using the WYSIWYG editor. Click that button to change to standard mode, and then you will see the raw code of your post, and you can then edit out the COLOR tags.
Oh my goodness … yes, colour tags everywhere … thank you Mark … will edit them out ...

Thanks for the help … much appreciated

Peter

FAQ: Problem with extra [MATH] [/MATH] signs

What is the problem with extra [MATH] [/MATH] signs?

The problem with extra [MATH] [/MATH] signs is that they can lead to mathematical errors and confusion. They can also make equations and expressions difficult to read and understand.

How do extra [MATH] [/MATH] signs affect mathematical calculations?

Extra [MATH] [/MATH] signs can alter the intended order of operations and change the result of a calculation. This can lead to incorrect solutions and errors in mathematical equations.

What causes extra [MATH] [/MATH] signs to appear in mathematical expressions?

Extra [MATH] [/MATH] signs can be the result of typing errors, copy and paste mistakes, or forgetting to close brackets or parentheses. They can also be caused by incorrect use of mathematical symbols or not following the correct order of operations.

How can extra [MATH] [/MATH] signs be avoided?

To avoid extra [MATH] [/MATH] signs, it is important to carefully check all mathematical expressions for mistakes, use the correct mathematical symbols and follow the correct order of operations. Double-checking calculations and using parentheses or brackets when necessary can also help prevent extra [MATH] [/MATH] signs.

What is the best way to fix a problem with extra [MATH] [/MATH] signs in a mathematical expression?

If you notice extra [MATH] [/MATH] signs in a mathematical expression, the best way to fix the problem is to carefully review the expression and remove any unnecessary signs. If the expression is complex, breaking it down into smaller parts and double-checking each step can also help identify and fix the issue.