Problem with limits of integration - converting double integral to polar form

In summary, the conversation discusses converting the given integral from Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates. The main issue is determining the upper limits for the polar integral, with the conversation including a discussion of the region's shape and boundaries. Ultimately, it is determined that the region can be represented by the upper half of a circle with center at (1,0) and radius 1, and the limits for the polar integral are 0 ≤ θ ≤ π/2 and 0 ≤ r ≤ 2cos(θ).
e^(i Pi)+1=0

Homework Statement

[itex]\int_0^2 \int_0^\sqrt{2x-x^2} xy,dy,dx[/itex]

I know the answer, but how does the 2 in the outer integral become pi/2?? I'm fine with everything else, I just can't get this...

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have a particular reason for calculating this integral in polar form? It's much easier with Carteesian coordinates. Also I don't understand your question. What is "outer integral"?

The outer integral is the dx integral, and it's a practice problem out of the book. I know the upper limit for dy in polar is r=2cos(theta) which I got by taking y=root(2x-x2) and converting to polar and solving for r. Why won't this work for dx?

e^(i Pi)+1=0 said:
I know the upper limit for dy in polar is r=2cos(theta)

But what good is that? You need the limits for r and theta, not for x and y. If you want to change to polar coordinates, start by figuring out how x and y are related to r and θ (hint, x≠rcosθ)

I don't think you read very carefully.

e^(i Pi)+1=0 said:
the upper limit for dy in polar is r=2cos(theta)
You mean, the upper limit for r is 2cos(θ).
To understand the range for θ, it's easiest to draw a picture. The region is bounded above by an inverted parabola passing through (0,0) and (2,0). Since it is wholly within the first quadrant, you have 0 ≤ θ ≤ π/2. For any given θ in that range, r can be anything from 0 to the point on the parabola at that θ. Allowing θ to go from 0 to π/2 therefore captures the whole region and nothing but.

Well said, haruspex, but the area is not an "inverted parabola". It is the upper semi-circle of the circle with center at (1, 0) and radius 1.

[itex]y= \sqrt{2x- x^2}[/itex] and, squaring, [itex]y^2= 2x- x^2[/itex].
[itex]x^2- 2x+ y^2= 0[/itex], [itex]x^2- 2x+ 1+ y^2= 1[/itex],
[itex](x- 1)^2+ y^2= 1[/itex].

HallsofIvy said:
Well said, haruspex, but the area is not an "inverted parabola".
Good catch. I must have dropped the square root.

Related to Problem with limits of integration - converting double integral to polar form

1. What is the purpose of converting a double integral to polar form?

Converting a double integral to polar form allows for integration over certain regions, such as circles or annuli, which are more easily described in polar coordinates than in Cartesian coordinates. This simplifies the integration process and can lead to more efficient solutions to problems.

2. How do I know when to use polar coordinates for a double integral?

Polar coordinates are typically used when the region of integration is circular or has circular symmetry. This means that the boundaries of the region can be described by simple equations such as r = a or θ = b. It is also helpful to use polar coordinates when the integrand contains expressions involving r and θ.

3. What are the steps involved in converting a double integral to polar form?

The first step is to determine the limits of integration in terms of r and θ. This involves converting the Cartesian equations of the boundaries into polar form. Next, the Jacobian of the transformation needs to be calculated and included in the integrand. Finally, the double integral can be solved using the transformed limits and integrand.

4. Can a double integral always be converted to polar form?

No, not all double integrals can be converted to polar form. This is because polar coordinates are limited to describing circular or circularly symmetric regions, so if the region of integration is not of this form, polar coordinates cannot be used. Additionally, if the integrand does not contain expressions involving r and θ, it may not be helpful to convert to polar form.

5. Are there any drawbacks to converting a double integral to polar form?

One drawback of converting to polar form is that the limits of integration may become more complicated. In some cases, it may be easier to solve the double integral in Cartesian coordinates instead. Additionally, if the integrand does not involve r and θ, converting to polar form may not provide any simplification.

Back