Problem with Parity for photons

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between parity transformation and the intrinsic parity of a photon. The participants attempt to prove that the negative sign in the equation for parity transformation is due to the vector nature of the four-potential. They also discuss how the components of the polarization vectors remain unchanged under a parity operation. However, they are unsure how to mathematically prove this relationship.
LayMuon
I am trying to understand how it can be shown that under parity transformation we have to have [itex] \hat{P} \hat{a}_{\mathbf{p},\lambda} \hat{P} = - \hat{a}_{-\mathbf{p},\lambda} [/itex], I mean the negative sign (negative intrinsic parity of photon). So I am trying to prove that from the vector nature of four potential it follows that [itex]\eta = -1[/itex] in the relation [itex] \hat{P} \hat{a}_{\mathbf{p},\lambda} \hat{P} = \eta \hat{a}_{-\mathbf{p},\lambda} [/itex]

In radiation gauge the second quantized four-potential is:
[tex]
\mathbf{A}(x) = \int \frac{d^3p}{(2 \pi)^3 \sqrt{2 \omega_p}} \sum_{\lambda =1,2} \left [ \boldsymbol{\epsilon}(\mathbf{p}, \lambda) \hat{a}_{\mathbf{p},\lambda} e^{-ipx} +\boldsymbol{\epsilon}^*(\mathbf{p}, \lambda) \hat{a}_{\mathbf{p},\lambda}^* e^{ipx} \right ]
[/tex]
From vector nature of $\mathbf{A}$ we should have:
[tex]
\hat{P} \mathbf{A}(t,\mathbf{x}) \hat{P} = - \mathbf{A}(t,\mathbf{x'}=-\mathbf{x})
[/tex]

Applying parity operator:
[tex]
\hat{P} \mathbf{A} \hat{P}= \int \frac{d^3p}{(2 \pi)^3 \sqrt{2 \omega_p}} \eta \sum_{\lambda =1,2} \left [ \boldsymbol{\epsilon}(\mathbf{p}, \lambda) \hat{a}_{-\mathbf{p},\lambda} e^{-ipx} +\boldsymbol{\epsilon}^*(\mathbf{p}, \lambda) \hat{a}_{-\mathbf{p},\lambda}^* e^{ipx} \right ] \\
\hat{P} \mathbf{A}(x) \hat{P}= \int \frac{d^3p'}{(2 \pi)^3 \sqrt{2 \omega_p}} \eta \sum_{\lambda =1,2} \left [ \boldsymbol{\epsilon}(-\mathbf{p'}, \lambda) \hat{a}_{\mathbf{p'},\lambda} e^{-ip'x'} +\boldsymbol{\epsilon}^*(\mathbf{-p'}, \lambda) \hat{a}_{\mathbf{p'},\lambda}^* e^{ip'x'} \right ]
[/tex]

On the other hand for circular polarization vectors the flipping of the momentum sign ammouts to rotation of the direction of momentum by 180, e.g. around the axes $x$:
[tex]
\boldsymbol{\epsilon}(\mathbf{p},1) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\{1,i,0\} \Rightarrow \boldsymbol{\epsilon}(-\mathbf{p},1) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\{1,-i,0\} \\
\boldsymbol{\epsilon}(\mathbf{p},2) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\{1,-i,0\} \Rightarrow \boldsymbol{\epsilon}(-\mathbf{p},2) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\{1,i,0\}
[/tex]

We see that polarizations exchange their places in the equation. Under spatial inversion all coordinates would be reversed and a minus sign would appear in the equation (4). Hence

[tex]
\hat{P} \mathbf{A}(x) \hat{P}= \int \frac{d^3p'}{(2 \pi)^3 \sqrt{2 \omega_p}} (-\eta) \sum_{\lambda =1,2} \left [ \boldsymbol{\epsilon}(\mathbf{p'}, \mp) \hat{a}_{\mathbf{p'},\pm} e^{-ip'x'} +\boldsymbol{\epsilon}^*(\mathbf{-p'}, \mp) \hat{a}_{\mathbf{p'},\pm}^* e^{ip'x'} \right ]
[/tex]

I don't understand how can this equation (7) be compared with equation (2) to deduce that [itex]\eta=-1[/itex], the polarizations echanged their places!

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that, although momentum is a normal (polar) vector, spin is an axial vector. So that under a parity operation, p → -p but ss. The components of the polarization vectors remain unchanged: ε(-p,1) is still (1/√2){1, i, 0}.

Bill_K said:
Remember that, although momentum is a normal (polar) vector, spin is an axial vector. So that under a parity operation, p → -p but ss. The components of the polarization vectors remain unchanged: ε(-p,1) is still (1/√2){1, i, 0}.

That I intuitively realize but I need mathematically sound proof. Which part of my logic fails mathematically?

Last edited:

Related to Problem with Parity for photons

1. What is the problem with parity for photons?

The problem with parity for photons is that they do not have a well-defined parity value. This means that they do not have a specific symmetry under spatial inversion, as other particles do. Instead, photons can have either even or odd parity values, depending on their helicity.

2. What is parity in physics?

Parity is a fundamental concept in physics that refers to the symmetry of a system under spatial inversion, or the reversal of all spatial coordinates. It is a property that describes how a system appears when viewed from different points of view or orientations.

3. What is the significance of parity for photons?

The significance of parity for photons lies in its relationship to the fundamental laws of physics. The laws of physics are expected to be symmetric under parity, meaning that they should behave the same way regardless of whether the spatial coordinates are inverted or not. The problem with parity for photons challenges this expectation and has implications for our understanding of the universe.

4. Can photons violate parity?

Yes, photons can violate parity in certain situations. This was discovered in experiments conducted in the 1950s, which showed that certain processes involving photons do not behave symmetrically under spatial inversion. This violation of parity is now known as the "parity problem" for photons.

5. How do scientists explain the problem with parity for photons?

Scientists have proposed different explanations for the problem with parity for photons, including the possibility of new particles or interactions that are responsible for the violation of parity. Some theories suggest that photons may have a hidden internal structure that allows them to violate parity, while others propose modifications to the fundamental laws of physics. However, the problem with parity for photons remains an open question in physics and continues to be studied by scientists.