Problem with rectangular and triangular weir

• Thread starter Queren Suriano
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rectangular
In summary, the problem involves determining the load on landfills for a rectangular and triangular weir located on the same channel. The equations Q(rectangular) = 1.84LH^(3/2) and Q(triangular) = 1.40H^(5/2) are used, where L is the length of the weir and H is the height of the water. The problem also involves solving for H1 and H2, the heights of the water for the rectangular and triangular weirs, respectively. Suggestions for solving the problem include clarifying the problem statement, defining variables, and double checking calculations.
Queren Suriano

Homework Statement

A rectangular weir (Cd = 0.623) thin crest without lateral contraction of 1 meter in length and a triangular weir (theta = 90 °) are located on the same channel. If the apex of the triangular weir (Cd = 0.593) is 0.15 meters below the crest of the rectangular weir and neglecting the approach speed determine a) the load on landfills when landings are equal, b) If the discharge of the rectangular weir is greater, determine the load should be for differential flow is maximum

Homework Equations

Q( rectangular) =1.84 LH^(3/2) [/B]
Q(triangular)= 1.40H^(5/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

a)[/B]
Qrectangular = Q triangular
1.84 (1) H1^(3/2) =1.40H2^(5/2). H1: Load rectangular weir, H2: Load triangular weir
H1= H2 -0.15

1.2515(H2)^(5/3) -1.5(H2) =-0.2251
I have two answers:
H2=0.21, H2=1.04 m

Is it right??

b) I think I can derivate d(Qrec -Qtriangular) /dH =0
But I don't know if I derivate respect to H1 or H2

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would like to offer some suggestions for solving this problem:

1. First, it would be helpful to clarify the problem statement. Is the question asking for the load on the landfills (i.e. the amount of water flowing over the weir) when the landings are equal, or is it asking for the height of the water (H1 and H2) when the landings are equal? This will affect your approach to solving the problem.

2. It would also be helpful to define the variables used in the equations. For example, what is L and what is theta? Clarifying this information will make it easier to follow your solution.

3. For part a), it seems like you are on the right track, but I am not sure where the value of 0.21 for H2 is coming from. Can you explain your reasoning for this value? It might also be helpful to check your units - are they consistent on both sides of the equation?

4. For part b), it would be helpful to define what differential flow means in this context. Does it refer to the difference in flow between the rectangular and triangular weirs, or does it refer to a specific flow rate? Once you have clarified this, you can then determine which variable (H1 or H2) should be used for the derivative.

Overall, my advice would be to double check your calculations and make sure your equations are properly defined and used. It might also be helpful to draw a diagram to visualize the problem and better understand the relationships between the variables. Good luck!

Related to Problem with rectangular and triangular weir

1. What is a rectangular and triangular weir?

A rectangular or triangular weir is a type of flow measurement structure used in open channel hydraulics. It consists of a notch or opening in a wall or dam that allows water to flow through, and is commonly used to measure water flow rates in rivers, streams, and canals.

2. What is the problem with rectangular and triangular weirs?

The main problem with these types of weirs is that they can be prone to inaccuracies in flow measurement due to variations in the shape and size of the notch, as well as changes in water level and flow velocity.

3. How do you calculate flow rate using a rectangular or triangular weir?

The most commonly used formula for calculating flow rate through a rectangular or triangular weir is the Francis formula, which takes into account the dimensions of the notch, the head (difference in water level before and after the weir), and coefficients for discharge and contraction.

4. What are some potential solutions to the problem with rectangular and triangular weirs?

There are several solutions that have been proposed to improve the accuracy of flow measurements using rectangular and triangular weirs. These include using multiple notches of varying sizes, using different formulas for calculating flow rate, and incorporating advanced technologies such as ultrasonic sensors.

5. How important is it to address the problem with rectangular and triangular weirs?

Accurate flow measurement is crucial for a variety of purposes, such as water resource management, flood control, and environmental monitoring. Therefore, it is important to address the potential problems with rectangular and triangular weirs in order to ensure reliable and accurate flow data for these important applications.