Problem with reflection and refraction.

In summary, the final image of a 1 cm tall object placed 6cm to the left of a converging lens with a focal length of 10 cm is located at -15 cm. The image is virtual, upright, and 1.5 cm tall. This was calculated using the formula 1/f = 1/do+1/di and m = hi/ho = -di/do. The object is then used as a real object for the flat mirror, resulting in a virtual image 17 cm behind the mirror. The new object distance for the next calculation would be 19 cm.
spikers220
1. A 1 cm tall object sits 6cm to the left of a converging lens, f = 10 cm. A flat plane mirror sits 2 cm to the right of the lens. Light passes through the lens, reflects off the mirror, then back through the lens. Where is the final image? Real or Virtual? Upright or inverted? How big is it?

2. 1/f = 1/do+1/di
m = hi/ho = -di/do

3. The first thing that I did was calculate the di for the converging lens and got that to be -15 cm, which means that it will be on the same side as the object. I am kind of unsure on what to do next. Do I then take that image that was formed, make it a real object for the flat mirror, in which a virtual image forms 17cm behind the mirror? Then use 19 cm as the new object distance for my next calculation? It doesn't seem like that is the right thing to do.

I am new to forum so hopefully all this is clear.

Physics news on Phys.org
It must work, go ahead.

ehild

FAQ: Problem with reflection and refraction.

What is reflection?

Reflection is the phenomenon where light bounces off a surface and changes direction. It occurs when light waves hit a smooth surface and are unable to pass through it.

What is refraction?

Refraction is the phenomenon where light bends as it passes through a medium with a different density or optical density. This change in direction is due to the change in speed of light as it travels through different materials.

What causes problems with reflection and refraction?

Problems with reflection and refraction can be caused by irregular or rough surfaces, as well as changes in the density or optical density of a medium. These can cause the light to scatter or bend in unpredictable ways.

How do reflection and refraction affect our daily lives?

Reflection and refraction play a significant role in our daily lives, especially in the field of optics. They are responsible for how we see objects, how mirrors work, and how lenses are used in glasses and cameras.

Can reflection and refraction be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, reflection and refraction can be controlled and manipulated through the use of different materials and techniques. For example, the shape and curvature of a mirror can determine the angle of reflection, and the use of lenses can control the direction and bending of light in refraction.