Problem with relative motion in two dimensions

In summary, the ships A and B are located 4.8 km north and 3.0 km east of each other, respectively. Ship A has a velocity of 22 km/h towards the south, while ship B has a velocity of 40 km/h in a direction 37° north of east. The velocity of A relative to B is v = -31.9454i -46.0726j. The position of A relative to B as a function of t is r = (3 - 31.9454t)i + (4.8 - 46.0726t)j. The minimum separation between the ships occurs when t = 0.63 hours and is equal to 28.
bioblade

Homework Statement

Ship A is located 4.8 km north and 3.0 km east of ship B. Ship A has a velocity of 22 km/h toward the south and ship B has a velocity of 40 km/h in a direction 37° north of east.
(a) What is the velocity of A relative to B (Express your answer in terms of the unit vectors i and j where i is toward the east.)
(b) Write an expression (in terms of i and j) for the position of A relative to B as a function of t, where t = 0 when the ships are in the positions described as above.
(c) At what time is the separation between the ships least?
(d) What is that least separation?

Homework Equations

Don't really think there are any relevant ones here - it's just vector addition and subtraction.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I got the answers to the first two parts.
The answer to a) is v = -31.9454i -46.0726j.
The answer to b) is r = (3 - 31.9454t)i + (4.8 - 46.0726t)j.

I'm completely lost on how to do the 3rd and 4th parts though - I get that I have to solve the above equation for t, but I have no idea how to do it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Shift your observer to one of the ships. The other ship should seem to be coming towards the observer with a velocity as calculated. The minimum separation is then the length of the perpendicular on the path of the other ship from the ship where the observer sits.Time can then be calculated.
A little geometry will be needed too regarding the perceived direction of the other ship and initial separation.

Related to Problem with relative motion in two dimensions

1. What is relative motion in two dimensions?

Relative motion in two dimensions refers to the movement of an object in relation to another object or frame of reference in a two-dimensional plane. It takes into account both the distance and direction of the object's movement in relation to the other object or frame of reference.

2. What causes problems with relative motion in two dimensions?

Problems with relative motion in two dimensions can occur when there are multiple objects or frames of reference involved in the motion, making it difficult to determine the exact relationship between them. These problems can also arise when there are changes in speed or direction of the objects' movements.

3. How do you calculate relative motion in two dimensions?

To calculate relative motion in two dimensions, you need to consider the velocities and directions of both objects or frames of reference. Using vector addition, you can determine the net velocity and direction of the moving object in relation to the other object or frame of reference.

4. What are some real-life examples of relative motion in two dimensions?

One example of relative motion in two dimensions is a car traveling on a curved road. The car's motion is relative to the road it is traveling on, which is also moving relative to the Earth's rotation. Another example is a person walking on a moving train. The person's motion is relative to the train, which is also moving relative to the tracks it is on.

5. How does understanding relative motion in two dimensions benefit us?

Understanding relative motion in two dimensions allows us to accurately describe and predict the movements of objects in relation to each other. This is crucial in various fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation. It also helps us understand and appreciate the complexity of motion in our everyday lives.