Problem with series RLC circuit and dependent source

In summary: The circuit current is then found to be 3 volts. The circuit current is not constant, but is inversely proportional to the voltage across the capacitor.
e0ne199

Homework Statement

here is my problem :
Screenshot_2017_06_26_10_09_07_1.png

Homework Equations

like usual, the problem is related with RLC circuits and transients

The Attempt at a Solution

IMG_20170626_111608.png
[/B]
from here, the solution is obviously wrong because from the solution, its alpha should be -300 and not -0.4...and from the question it implies that i have to use 1st order differential equation while RLC equations i know use 2nd order differential equations..do you know how to solve this?? thanks before

Physics news on Phys.org
The circuit current is the current in the dependent source. The current in the dependent source is proportional to the voltage on the capacitor plates (so this current is not going to be constant).

Inductor current IL is just circuit current, perhaps with a "–" sign prepended.

NascentOxygen said:
The circuit current is the current in the dependent source. The current in the dependent source is proportional to the voltage on the capacitor plates (so this current is not going to be constant).

Inductor current IL is just circuit current with a "–" sign prepended.
i know that much but would you like to explain how to arrive to the answer? because that is the one troubling me the most (the answer is on the question i posted above)

Because of the dependent source, this isn't a typical RLC circuit, so you can't just plug numbers into formulas that aren't valid for this situation.

The hint pretty much tells you what you need to do. Derive a differential equation for the circuit.

vela said:
Because of the dependent source, this isn't a typical RLC circuit, so you can't just plug numbers into formulas that aren't valid for this situation.

The hint pretty much tells you what you need to do. Derive a differential equation for the circuit.
yes i know about it but could you give me some clue about it? because it is first order DE that the solution needs not second order DE...

What is the differential equation relating a capacitor’s current to capacitor voltage?

I=C*dv/dt...then?

For the given circuit, you are told i = –3•vc
so make this substitution for i in your differential equation, then solve.

NascentOxygen said:
For the given circuit, you are told i = –3•vc, so make this substitution for i in your differential equation, then solve.
ok i see that -3Vc=C*dV/dt but what i don't understand is its differential equation...hmm do you mean the differential equation is C*dV/dt+3Vc=0? and also i don't see IL involved there..

e0ne199 said:
ok i see that -3Vc=C*dV/dt but what i don't understand is its differential equation...hmm do you mean the differential equation is C*dV/dt+3Vc=0?
Yes, solve for Vc in C*dVc/dt + 3Vc = 0

NascentOxygen said:
Yes, solve for Vc in C*dVc/dt + 3Vc = 0
hmmm btw would you like to explain about why it doesn't involve inductor and resistor in the differential equation? i still don't really understand since the circuit involves R, L, and C..

The current source is an active circuit, built of ICs and transistors, and you are told how it sets the circuit current. The inductor plays no part in setting current, as your equation shows. Of course, the inductor plays its rôle in determining the voltage across itself and hence the voltage on one side of the capacitor.

A dependent current source varies its voltage over whatever range is necessary in order to make the current through it obey the required relation.

Likes e0ne199
NascentOxygen said:
The current source is an active circuit, built of ICs and transistors, and you are told how it sets the circuit current. The inductor plays no part in setting current, as your equation shows. Of course, the inductor plays its rôle in determining the voltage across itself and hence the voltage on one side of the capacitor.

A dependent current source varies its voltage over whatever range is necessary in order to make the current through it obey the required relation.

ok i understand..but after i have solved Vc how does it relate to IL(t)?because the answer is IL(t)=30e-300tA..(From the question Vc (0-) is 10V, so probably when t=0+ Vc=10V)

Once you have the equation for vc(t) you triple it and give it a "–" sign and call it i(t) as shown by their relationship in post #8.

The problem statement specifies the initial conditions, viz., vc(0) = 10 volts

Related to Problem with series RLC circuit and dependent source

1. What is a series RLC circuit and how does it work?

A series RLC circuit is an electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R), inductor (L), and capacitor (C) connected in series. The RLC circuit is powered by a voltage source and the components are connected in a loop. The resistor limits the current flow, the inductor stores energy as a magnetic field, and the capacitor stores energy as an electric field. As the voltage source changes, the components interact with each other to produce a varying current and voltage.

2. What is a dependent source and how does it affect the behavior of a series RLC circuit?

A dependent source is an electrical component whose voltage or current output is dependent on another voltage or current in the circuit. In a series RLC circuit, a dependent source can change the values of the resistor, inductor, or capacitor, which affects the overall behavior of the circuit. The dependent source can also introduce feedback into the circuit, altering the response to changes in the input voltage.

3. What are the possible problems that can occur in a series RLC circuit with a dependent source?

One common problem in a series RLC circuit with a dependent source is oscillation. This occurs when the circuit's response to changes in the input voltage causes the output voltage to fluctuate between two extremes. Another problem is resonance, where the circuit's response to a specific input frequency is amplified, potentially causing damage to the components. Additionally, a dependent source can introduce instability or distortion to the circuit's output.

4. How can the problems with a series RLC circuit and dependent source be mitigated?

To prevent oscillation, resonance, and instability in a series RLC circuit with a dependent source, it is important to carefully select the values of the components and the dependent source. These values should be chosen to ensure that the circuit is stable and operates within safe limits. Additionally, using feedback control techniques and adding damping elements can help control the circuit's response.

5. Are there any real-life applications of series RLC circuits with dependent sources?

Yes, series RLC circuits with dependent sources are commonly used in electronic devices, such as amplifiers and filters. They can also be found in power distribution systems, where they help regulate voltage and current flow. In communication systems, series RLC circuits with dependent sources can be used to filter out unwanted frequencies and amplify desired signals. They are also used in medical devices, such as MRI machines, to produce magnetic fields for imaging.