Problem with Understanding Dimensions

• Thread starter RiddlerA
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dimensions
In summary, string theory is a framework that incorporates extra dimensions in order to explain the fundamental particles and forces of our universe. However, the existence and perception of these dimensions is still a philosophical and theoretical concept, and there is ongoing research and debate in the scientific community about their existence and implications.
RiddlerA
Here's what i know about Dimensions...
Infinite stacks of a 1D world makes a 2D world, And Infinite stacks of a 2D world makes a 3D world and Infinite stacks of 3D world makes a 4D world and so on...
So if we humans are 3D creatures, then we perceive 4th D as time,
Same goes for 4D creatures who perceive 5th D as time but 4th D as Distance just like We observe 3rd D as Distance...
Also 2D creatures would observe 2nd D as distance but 3rd D as time, And so on...

So my real question is that
What are the effects of
1. 4th D on 2D creatures
2. 5th D on 3D creatures and so on..

We humans perceive Length, breadth, Height and Time, but where is the 5th Dimension?
How can we perceive it?
We know for sure that there exists a 4th D(time), so how a 2D creature would experience 4th D?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have 3 apples, how can you add a 5th apple to it before adding a 4th?

RiddlerA said:
Here's what i know about Dimensions...
Infinite stacks of a 1D world makes a 2D world, And Infinite stacks of a 2D world makes a 3D world and Infinite stacks of 3D world makes a 4D world and so on...
What do you mean by "infinite stacks in a 1D world"? In fact, what do you mean by "a 1D world"? If you cannot answer those questions clearly, then what you are saying you "know" doesn't make sense.

So if we humans are 3D creatures, then we perceive 4th D as time,
Same goes for 4D creatures who perceive 5th D as time but 4th D as Distance just like We observe 3rd D as Distance...
Also 2D creatures would observe 2nd D as distance but 3rd D as time, And so on...
What reason do you have to believe that there are "4D creatures" or "2D creatures"? If those do not exist, what you have written here also makes no sense.

So my real question is that
What are the effects of
1. 4th D on 2D creatures
2. 5th D on 3D creatures and so on..

We humans perceive Length, breadth, Height and Time, but where is the 5th Dimension?
How can we perceive it?
We know for sure that there exists a 4th D(time), so how a 2D creature would experience 4th D?
Your real question should be 'what is meant by dimensions'? Physics studies "events"- things that happen a specific point and specific time. It takes three numbers to designate a point in space so that is "3 dimensional". It takes one number to designate a time so that is 1 dimensional. Putting those together, physicists work with four dimensions. If you mean anything other than that, you will have to say what you mean by "dimension".

You are welcome to postulate "two dimensional creatures" for the sake of argument but since you are no longer using the word "dimension" in a non-standard sense you will have to say what you mean by "two dimensional".

HallsofIvy said:
You are welcome to postulate "two dimensional creatures" for the sake of argument but since you are no longer using the word "dimension" in a non-standard sense you will have to say what you mean by "two dimensional".

Sorry for being unclear..
Heres where i learned about those dimensions...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDaKzQNlMFw

Please do watch this video...

Your question is the subject of philosophy, it is non physical and cannot be answered with mathematics or physics because the question itself is not defined quantitatively.

GarageDweller said:
Your question is the subject of philosophy, it is non physical and cannot be answered with mathematics or physics because the question itself is not defined quantitatively.

Well, in that case, i have to ask is there any current study in this philosophical topic?
Can you give me any links to any site that explains dimensions in detail?
This problem is messing with me ever since i started learning relativity.. Cant able to get past it...

Actually you can answer some of these questions physically.

First of all, time is not the 4th dimension. Time is a dimension, but it is not a spatial dimension like the other three. This is an important difference.

You asked how we are affected by higher dimensions. Well if these higher dimensions existed we would see objects appearing out of nowhere and disappearing into thin air all the time. The fact that we don't see this is really good evidence that these higher dimensions don't exist (or if they exist, are very small. Research string theory and extra dimensions to get a sense of what this means).

How can we perceive it?

We can't. Maybe there isn't one. String theory is an approach utilizing extra dimensions...often 10 plus time:

Here is what Lee Smolin says in 'The trouble with Physics',, 2007,
pages 119-127...()...my added comments in parentheses.

",,,Because string theory is a background dependent theory...by choosing different background geometries we got technically different theories...these (geometric) constraints are part of the description of how strings propagate and interact with each other...the constants (experimentally determined) that denote the masses of the particles and the strengths of the forces (sounds like he is addressing the standard model here) are being traded for constants that denote the geometry of the extra six dimensions...each of the backgrounds on which a string theory is defined is a solution to Einstein's equations or some generalization of it... the theory that unifies them (a meta theory) MUST NOT LIVE ON ANY fixed SPACETIME BACKGROUND...what is needed to unify them is a single background independent theory..."

So in a very real sense, a string (representing matter [particles], energy, forces) requires certain space-time characteristics, like the number of dimensions, and some curled up dimensions, and these create required symmetries. So you could say geometry (spacetime) creates matter here. A theory like heterotic strings which is inherently a theory of gravity, the particles of matter as well as forces emerge in the same way that gravity emerges from geometry in Einstein's GR.

The huge difference is that Einstein's geometry is dynamic; string theory dimensions must be fixed to ascribe fixed characteristic observables.

Vorde said:
Actually you can answer some of these questions physically.

First of all, time is not the 4th dimension. Time is a dimension, but it is not a spatial dimension like the other three. This is an important difference.

In the video i posted above, it is shown that we 3D creatures perceive 4th D as time.
The same goes to 2D creatures(assume there exists one) who perceive 3rd D(depth/height for us) as Time.. So that means Time is in fact not so different from spatial dimensions...
Atleast that is what i understood so far...

Naty1 said:
So in a very real sense, a string (representing matter [particles], energy, forces) requires certain space-time characteristics, like the number of dimensions, and some curled up dimensions, and these create required symmetries. So you could say geometry (spacetime) creates matter here. A theory like heterotic strings which is inherently a theory of gravity, the particles of matter as well as forces emerge in the same way that gravity emerges from geometry in Einstein's GR.

The huge difference is that Einstein's geometry is dynamic; string theory dimensions must be fixed to ascribe fixed characteristic observables.

String theory sounds like a really complicated theory, I am sure as hell that i can't understand it... I will try to get a good grasp on relativity first.
Thank you so much for the information. Will look into it really soon...

Related to Problem with Understanding Dimensions

1. What are dimensions and why is it difficult to understand them?

Dimensions are a way of measuring the physical world. They are the basic building blocks of our universe and describe the length, width, and height of an object. The difficulty in understanding dimensions stems from the fact that we can only experience three dimensions in our daily lives, but there are actually many more dimensions that exist in theories such as string theory and M-theory. These dimensions are beyond our perception and require complex mathematics and abstract thinking to understand.

2. How many dimensions are there?

According to string theory and M-theory, there are 11 dimensions. However, this is still a theoretical concept and has not been proven or observed in our physical world. Some theories suggest that there could be even more dimensions, but they are too small for us to detect or experience.

3. Can we ever fully understand dimensions?

It is difficult to say if we will ever fully understand dimensions. As technology and scientific advancements progress, we may be able to gather more evidence and insights into the existence of higher dimensions. However, since these dimensions are beyond our perception, it may be impossible for us to fully understand them in a tangible way.

4. How do dimensions affect our daily lives?

The three dimensions we experience directly, length, width, and height, play a crucial role in our daily lives. They allow us to navigate and interact with the physical world. Higher dimensions, if they do exist, may have an impact on the fundamental laws of physics and the behavior of particles, but their effects are not directly observable in our daily lives.

5. Are there any practical applications of understanding dimensions?

Currently, there are no practical applications of understanding higher dimensions, as they are still theoretical concepts. However, understanding dimensions and their role in the universe could potentially lead to breakthroughs in physics and technology. It could also help us gain a better understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe and our place in it.