Problems regarding 2 conducting cylinders

In summary, the problem involves two cylinders with radii R1 and R2, where the inner cylinder has a negative charge density of -σ and the outer cylinder has a positive charge density of 3σ. The cylinders are of lengths greater than R1 and the thickness of the cylinders can be ignored. The questions ask for the electric potential difference between the outer and inner cylinder, the magnitude of the electric field outside the cylinders, and the electric potential difference between a point at a specific distance from the symmetry axis and the outer cylinder. The relevant equation used is Gauss' Law.
Donnyboy

Homework Statement

Based on the picture, the inner cylinder has a radius R1 and the outer R2, σa=-σ ; σb=3σ

each cylinders are of lengths greater than R1, ignore the end effects and neglect thickness of cylinder.

a). What is the electric potential difference between the outer cylinder and the inner cylinder

b). What is the magnitude of the electric field outside the cylinders , r>R2

c). What is the electric potential difference between a point at distance r=2R2 from the symmetry axis and the outer cylinder ?

**all answers are to be expressed in terms of r,R1,R2,σ and ε0 wherever relevant

Homework Equations

Gauss Law (is it?)

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried selecting a gaussian surface between the 2 cylinders for question a, in which should yield

E= σa/(π*ε0 *(R1)^2) aaaand i got stuck :/ this is due in 24 hours and i am in desperate need of assistance

for b). is the magnitude of the E field 0 ?

Attachments

• ps2_p6_fig1.png
    ps2_p6_fig1.png
    7.7 KB · Views: 428
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
because i have the same charge on the inside and out side of the cylinderfor c). again i tried selecting a gaussian surface but this time between 2r2 and the outer cylinder, which yielded E= σb/(π*ε0 *(R2)^2) again, i'm stuck.

FAQ: Problems regarding 2 conducting cylinders

1. What is the purpose of studying problems regarding 2 conducting cylinders?

Studying problems regarding 2 conducting cylinders allows us to better understand the behavior of electric and magnetic fields between two conductors. This knowledge is crucial in various applications, such as in circuit design and electromagnetic devices.

2. How do the properties of the two cylinders affect the behavior of electric and magnetic fields?

The properties of the two cylinders, such as their size, shape, and distance from each other, determine the strength and direction of the electric and magnetic fields. These properties can be manipulated to control the flow of electricity and create specific electromagnetic effects.

3. What are some common problems encountered in 2 conducting cylinder systems?

Some common problems in 2 conducting cylinder systems include interference, voltage drops, and eddy currents. These issues can affect the performance and efficiency of the system and must be carefully considered and managed.

4. How can these problems be solved or minimized?

There are various techniques that can be used to solve or minimize problems in 2 conducting cylinder systems. These include adjusting the properties of the cylinders, using shielding materials, and implementing circuit design strategies to reduce interference and voltage drops.

5. What are some real-world applications of 2 conducting cylinder systems?

2 conducting cylinder systems have many practical applications, such as in power transmission lines, electric motors, and generators. They are also used in medical devices, such as MRI machines, and in industrial processes, such as metal casting and welding.

Back