Problems with engineering honor thesis.

In summary, the speaker is struggling with their engineering bachelor's thesis and only has 12 days left to complete it. They have seen a previous thesis and estimated that it contains about 34 pages of writing. The speaker has about 12-14 pages of notes and is unsure of what is expected of a bachelor's thesis. They are not receiving much guidance from their advisor and have been struggling with motivation throughout their time at university. They are worried about the grading and feel like they are in a difficult situation. The speaker also mentions that their university has a low difficulty level for their engineering degree.
vysethecoward
I've barely made any progress in my engineering bachelor's thesis. I only have 12 days after today before I have to hand it in.

I saw a previous bachelor's thesis. It's 65 pages long, except the title page / abstract / acknowledgments / blank space / reference lists etc add up to about 22 pages. The diagrams add up to about 9 pages. So I guess there's about 34 pages of writing in it (yes you can tell I'm clutching at straws).

I currently have about 12-14 pages worth of notes that I'd put in. It's just general notes about the topics.

What is actually expected from a bachelor's thesis? General notes? Replicating results? Creating new theory? Frankly, I've no idea. My adviser won't tell me and the marking scheme is vague. Should I be going through important research papers and summarising them or explaining concepts? My adviser won't give me any information on what's expected.

Before this term and all my life I got near perfect grades but my motivation has been rock bottom all through uni since I really dislike the subject and uni (you can't switch subject in the UK, and I'm going to the uni nearest my house because my parent saved nothing). This term I've worked less than ever.

I feel like I'm in a ridiculous situation. I always found difficulty of this degree at this uni extremely low* and now I'm on the verge of doing badly. Although as long as I get at least 50 % for the assignment, that's fine (it's marked 80 % for the report and 20 % for the presentation).

*to give you an idea of the standard: it's an engineering course but we never did a maths course with vector calculus.

Physics news on Phys.org
vysethecoward said:
I've barely made any progress in my engineering bachelor's thesis. I only have 12 days after today before I have to hand it in.

I saw a previous bachelor's thesis. It's 65 pages long, except the title page / abstract / acknowledgments / blank space / reference lists etc add up to about 22 pages. The diagrams add up to about 9 pages. So I guess there's about 34 pages of writing in it (yes you can tell I'm clutching at straws).

I currently have about 12-14 pages worth of notes that I'd put in. It's just general notes about the topics.

What is actually expected from a bachelor's thesis? General notes? Replicating results? Creating new theory? Frankly, I've no idea. My adviser won't tell me and the marking scheme is vague. Should I be going through important research papers and summarising them or explaining concepts? My adviser won't give me any information on what's expected.

Before this term and all my life I got near perfect grades but my motivation has been rock bottom all through uni since I really dislike the subject and uni (you can't switch subject in the UK, and I'm going to the uni nearest my house because my parent saved nothing). This term I've worked less than ever.

I feel like I'm in a ridiculous situation. I always found difficulty of this degree at this uni extremely low* and now I'm on the verge of doing badly. Although as long as I get at least 50 % for the assignment, that's fine (it's marked 80 % for the report and 20 % for the presentation).

*to give you an idea of the standard: it's an engineering course but we never did a maths course with vector calculus.

Most of the real learning I did in engineering major was during my senior thesis as well. I would look at recent papers, but generally the format is as such: Abstract, Introduction, Theory, Materials and Methods, Results, Conclusions, References, Appendix (Code, I've seen some papers where compenent data sheets were in the appendix as well, mathematical methods too long for the intro, etc)

vysethecoward said:

It sounds like one is suffering the consequences of procrastination, which seems to be common among student populations.

I would expect that the thesis was mentioned in a course syllabus, and that was an opportunity to ask the professor for the expectations.

A thesis is a bit like an essay. One starts with some general background on a topic, then the essay/thesis becomes more focused with a discussion on the background including prior art and supporting work, then focus on some specific aspects, then a discussion of the pros and cons, and then conclusions. It is doubtful that one is expected to generate new theory, but certainly that be welcome. Usually a thesis could involve a survey of some aspect of engineering (which is an extraordinarily broad field), or the specific engineering discipline (more manageable).

One could choose a particular discipline and a particular problem in that discipline as the subject of one's thesis. The topic/problem would usually be assigned by one's professor at the baccalaureate or master's level, or it could involve original research based on consultation with one's professor.

The other day, I was handed to engineering problems. For both, I'm expected to review the literature to discover certain aspects of some materials, and with that, develop a technical basis of why a certain material is being used for a certain process, offer recommendations for improvements, and if possible offer recommendations for superior alternatives based on a number of criteria, which I would also have to develop.

In one's case, there are many engineering problems on which one could research, and possibly offer improvements or innovations. Otherwise, one would use the thesis to explore the current state of the art and demonstrate one's understanding of the art and the process by which it was developed.

In addition to what Astronuc said, you might want to try to have a look at those done by people from the year ahead of you to get an idea of what's been successful in the past.

And it's generally not too constructive to blame your parents for the spot you're in.

As a scientist, it is concerning to hear that you have barely made any progress on your engineering bachelor's thesis and that you are unsure of what is expected from it. A bachelor's thesis is typically expected to demonstrate the student's ability to apply their knowledge and skills to a specific research topic, and it should involve more than just general notes or replicating results.

It is important to communicate with your advisor and clarify the expectations for your thesis. You should also thoroughly review the marking scheme to understand how your work will be evaluated. It may also be beneficial to review previous successful bachelor's theses from your university to get a better understanding of the expectations.

It is understandable that your motivation may be low if you dislike the subject and university, but it is important to remember that this thesis is a crucial part of your degree and can impact your future opportunities. I encourage you to seek support from your advisor, classmates, or university resources to help you stay on track and complete your thesis to the best of your ability.

In terms of the difficulty of your degree, it is important to remember that every university and program may have different standards and expectations. Instead of comparing your experience to others, focus on your own learning and growth. It is never too late to put in more effort and strive for a better understanding of the subject matter.

Overall, it is crucial to communicate with your advisor and seek support to ensure the successful completion of your engineering bachelor's thesis. I wish you the best of luck in your remaining days and hope you are able to make progress and submit a quality thesis.

Related to Problems with engineering honor thesis.

1. What are the common problems encountered in engineering honor thesis?

Some of the common problems encountered in engineering honor thesis include lack of time management, difficulty in finding a suitable research topic, inadequate resources, and challenges in data analysis and interpretation.

2. How can time management issues be addressed in an engineering honor thesis?

To address time management issues, it is important to create a realistic timeline and stick to it. Prioritizing tasks, breaking down the project into smaller manageable tasks, and seeking help from supervisors or peers can also be helpful.

3. What are some strategies for finding a suitable research topic for an engineering honor thesis?

Some strategies for finding a suitable research topic include exploring current trends and developments in the field, discussing ideas with professors and peers, and conducting a literature review to identify research gaps.

4. How can a lack of resources be managed in an engineering honor thesis?

A lack of resources can be managed by utilizing available resources creatively, such as using open-source software or collaborating with other researchers. It is also important to communicate with the thesis supervisor and seek their advice on alternative resources.

5. What are some ways to overcome challenges in data analysis and interpretation in an engineering honor thesis?

To overcome challenges in data analysis and interpretation, it is important to have a clear understanding of the research questions and objectives. Seeking guidance from experienced researchers or taking courses on data analysis can also be helpful. Additionally, proper organization and documentation of data can aid in the interpretation process.