Problems with physics self-study: completeness

In summary, my advice for self-studying physics is to find a good textbook, work through it in detail, supplement with online resources, and don't be afraid to ask for help when needed.
TomCurious
Hello, I am looking for some advice on self-studying physics.

For a long time, I have essentially followed Ian Stewart's approach to learning - namely, flick through a textbook until you find something interesting, and read as much as you need to in order to understand it. In such a way, I have acquired a store of physics knowledge and tools. While I may not be 'mathematically mature,' I nonetheless have a good command of mathematics, at the level of 'mathematical methods for scientistis and engineers,' with some more PDE's, complex analysis, abstract algebra, and riemannian geometry.

My main worry is that I am not developing a complete and thorough understanding of the physics I am studying. Indeed, I recently talked to a professor, who pointed out that I had an incomplete understanding of the equivalence principle (in the mathematical sense of the local vanishing of the christoffel symbols)

Perhaps this would be better clarified with some examples (note, again, that this is self study: I am not enrolled in any advanced undergraduate programs at the moment):

1. Classical Mechanics: I understand Functional Analysis, Hamiltonian Theory, Nambu mechanics, Hamilton Jacobi Equation, classical field theory, Central force and two body problem,
missing: The majority of Rigid Body Motion, Representations of Lie Groups, chaotic motion, perturbation theory

2. Quantum Mechanics: I understand Wave and Matrix Mechanics, Propagators and Path Integrals (evaluated via steepest descent), relation to projective geometry, density operator formalism, entanglement
missing: time-independant perturbation theory, rigorous treatment of bound states, WKB method,

By understand, I mean I can solve problems in a standard textbook on the subject, and am able to explain the material to someone who is unfamiliar with it.

I am simply in love with all this material and would like to learn it as fast as possible. Do you have any advice on how to clear my understanding (specifically, in high energy physics, gravitation, atomic, particle, and nuclear physics, as well as fluid dynamics and geophysics)

Thanks a bunch!

Physics news on Phys.org
My advice would be to start by finding a good textbook in the area you are interested in, and to work through it in detail. Make sure that you understand all of the concepts and equations, and take notes as you go. As you progress, try to find worked examples or videos online that break down the solutions to more difficult problems. You can also look for online lectures, tutorials, or courses that cover the topics you are interested in. This will help you test your understanding and practice problem solving. Additionally, you could try reading papers in the field and trying to replicate their results. This can help you learn the techniques used to solve problems, and can help you gain insight into the research methods used in your field. Finally, don’t forget to ask questions when you are stuck!

FAQ: Problems with physics self-study: completeness

1. What are the common challenges in self-studying physics?

Some common challenges in self-studying physics include lack of access to resources and guidance, difficulty in understanding complex concepts, and lack of hands-on practice.

2. Can self-study in physics be as effective as taking a course?

It is possible for self-study to be just as effective as taking a course, as long as the individual is motivated, disciplined, and has access to quality resources. However, taking a course can provide additional benefits such as access to a teacher for guidance and hands-on laboratory experience.

3. How do I know if I have covered all the necessary topics in my self-study of physics?

One way to ensure completeness in self-studying physics is to use a textbook or curriculum as a guide, which typically covers all the necessary topics. It is also helpful to regularly review and test your understanding of the material to identify any gaps in knowledge.

4. Is it possible to self-study physics without a strong background in math?

While a strong background in math can make self-studying physics easier, it is not impossible to learn the subject without it. It may require more time and effort, but there are resources available that can help individuals with a weaker math background understand and apply mathematical concepts in physics.

5. How can I stay motivated and on track while self-studying physics?

To stay motivated and on track, it is important to set specific goals and create a study schedule. It can also be helpful to find a study partner or join online communities to connect with others who are also self-studying physics. Additionally, taking breaks and rewarding yourself for reaching milestones can help maintain motivation.